Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

"Dream Away"...

2. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

Broadstreet was my first McCartney album I bought.I was about 10 years old.A lifetime of musical pleasure followed.Infact I am often very surprised at the stick his beatle reworks often get .To me they are superb and almost an introduction to those tunes .Infact to this day I prefer his Long and Winding Road on the album.The movie too was everything I wanted.Even my young children watch the DVD over and over and they too love the songs....So no disaster for me.

3. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Sadly, I will probably buy this if/when released, to replace my DVD Broad Street (a boot, I assume).

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Sort of dragging it back on topic, The First Stone just came up on shuffle. I like that song so much I (almost) don't mind the goofy preacher voice yelling thing he does. That would usually be a deal breaker cringe moment for me.

I looked for a thread about Best McCartney Non-Album B sides but didn't see one. There's sort of one, but not really, because the topic is diluted.

OK, back to talking about the bad movie.

5. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I thought The First Stone was a Paul McCartney and Eric Stewart collaboration at first. Probably a song leftover from the Press To Play sessions. It was a little while later when I found out it was a Paul McCartney and Hamish Stuart collaboration.

theMess, Wingsfan2012 and Frank like this.
  6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Well, nobody seems to be able to post on here without making some kind of mistake. I had a nagging feeling that something was wrong with mine but couldn't put my finger on it until I looked again, but you beat me to the punch. I really know how to spell apostrophe, really I do. :nyah::doh: I suppose I'm the pot now that called the kettle black! By the way, you put an extra numeral in for the beast (a zero) that doesn't belong. So it isn't me. o_O

theMess and edenofflowers like this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

He made the correct choice. Read the link below. I have included a quote and example from the link.

“Here’s what I recommend, and what most publishers do these days. To form the plurals of abbreviations and numbers, add s alone, but to form the plural of a single letter, add ’s. CPAs, those folks who can add columns of 9s in their heads, have been advising MDs since the 1980s to dot their i’s, cross their t’s, and never accept IOUs. Things could be worse: there could be two IRSs."

Plural usage »

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    soundQman, theMess and Paul H like this.
  8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I love when threads go off topic, and even I hate this thread now.

9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

:laugh:

Hard to remain on topic when it's no longer "coming soon."

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Billy Budapest likes this.
  10. Spectacular film, btw. And yes, Horseflesh IS in the movie . . .

11. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I never thought we would be discussing grammar and punctuation in this thread. We are really running out of things to talk about, are we? And to think that there were five or six parts to the Venus and Mars/Wings At The Speed of Sound thread and a part two for the Tug of War/Pipes of Peace thread and I doubt any of those conversations were about grammar.

12. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

There weren't, they were always "coming soon" :D

13. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Apple taught Paul to own and license. MPL definitely owns the material and can carry it over — but I don't expect Capitol to reprint them any time soon: few super deluxe box sets move enough units to warrant keeping the lavish productions in stock.

In my timetable, it is out in April/May and new album in July. As much as Paul may want before Christmas, he has to compete against Eight Days A Week, something he is loathe to do based on behaviour from previous years. Had Flowers In The Dirt really been aimed at Christmas 2016, the Capitol announcement would have included mention of the upcoming Flowers In The Dirt but doesn't: instead, it mentions Capitol has plans for the back catalogue.

Prince is not a good comparison.
    1) No promotion will be coming from WB or Prince beyond its release.
    2) There is no new material to be prepared; this is mostly a reworking of Hits, especially since it caps the same period.
    3) The WB announcement makes note of the upcoming Purple Rain super deluxe that was already coming, and is likely 1st quarter 2017.

With Paul, there is always a lot of promotion from MPL — new samplers, interviews, etc. — and I don't see any of that building at the moment. The message has been focused on Eight Days A Week, which is coming in mid-November. To get Flowers In The Dirt out effectively, it would have to be 1st week of December (since shipments would likely not reach customers to December 15th at the earliest outside of US and UK)… which means it's likely 1st quarter 2017 when there's less competition.

There's better possibilities, like: "My Brave Face" (album edit b/w demo), "We Got Married" (single edit/album edit), or the most likely "Party Party" because that was a non-commercial single in the past.

I'm basing the end of the Archive series on the fact that, outside of Bruce Springsteen's glacial re-releases no other contemporary of Paul's is still diving into one album at a time. The present trend is towards album sets — and that makes extreme sense when you think of it from Capitol's point of view.

Capitol can already point a new Beatles fan to the stereo box, the mono box and the US albums box. When it comes to the solo years, Lennon has been collected in one, Harrison in two… but none for Paul or Ringo. Pure McCartney is just as good a sampler for that as an Archives series — if not more so.

Should Capitol focus on present trends instead of the Archive series, they can still get a tremendous amount out of McCartney's catalogue. Wouldn't it be better for the overall catalogue to get it out in chunks for the buyers who are liking those sets?

My suggestions to Capitol would be eight disc sets, each containing six studio LP discs, one bonus disc of singles & cold cuts, and one DVD with promotional videos from the era — with extra discs being added for the albums that are loaded with b-sides. The end results would be:
    1. McCartney, Ram (stereo), Ram (mono), Wild Life, Wings Over Europe (2 CD)
    2. Red Rose Speedway, James Paul McCartney, Band On The Run, Band On The Run (audio documentary), One Hand Clapping, Venus And Mars
    3. Speed Of Sound, Wings Over America (2 CD), Thrillington, London Town, Rupert The Bear
    4. Back To The Egg, Wings' Last Flight (2 CD), McCartney II (original double LP), McCartney II, Rude Studio Demos, Tug Of War
    5. Pipes Of Peace, Give My Regards To Broadstreet, Press To Play (2 CD), Return To Pepperland, Choba B CCCP
    6. Flowers In The Dirt (2 CD), Tripping The Live Fantastic (2 CD), Unplugged, Up Close
    7. Off The Ground (2 CD), Paul Is Live, Flaming Pie, Rushes, Run Devil Run, Live At The Cavern
    8. Driving Rain, Back In The US (2 CD), Chaos And Creation In The Backyard, Abbey Road Sessions, Memory Almost Full
    9. Live In L.A., Electric Proms, Electric Arguments, Good Evening New York (2 CD)
    10. Complete Kisses (2 CD), New (special edition), + new album(s)
    That's ten box sets, getting at least five years work — and there's also the possibility of a set that has Liverpool Oratorio (2 CD), Standing Stone, Working Classical, Ecce Cor Meum and Ocean's Kingdom for the classical.

Follow that up with some unreleased live sets, CD/DVD combos on certain projects, and Anthology-style collections of demos and unreleased material and you're looking at AT LEAST a decade of releases which drip out the unreleased to fans and keep up the sales and the recognition.

Rushes is the only Fireman LP not on iTunes, as far as I remember. I wouldn't say Paul and MPL are aware of the desire as much as the fans are of releases that don't get as much attention. When Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest was released, one store in my city had it — but it was filed away from the McCartney material, in the general "F" set, with no idea what it was or why anyone would buy it. When I explained what it was, the other people looked confused.

14. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

That's what I suspect is happening based on the picture/announcement that was posted here.
    It wouldn't surprise me if that's the sudden "drop" for Christmas — especially with Prince's films just released.
    20th Century Fox would make the announcement of its release just like with the DVD, and Paul would go and promote it.
    But I suspect this will in January/February, when the market is at its lull. For now, it's blockbuster focus time.

15. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

He or whoever runs his social media accounts post stuff like this all the time. The kids call it #throwbackthursday or #flashbackfriday or sometimes on random days, or sometimes to commemorate an anniversary .Paul's team regularly posts stuff and ask followers to share their memories. This time it's Broadstreet. We're all so starved for new Paul stuff we seem to be using anything to justify our hopes.

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

No hope of deliverance
    Better Let it be
    On a Long and Winding road
    But if they are Coming up
    Let em in

theMess likes this.
  17. Paul wanted to give Nancy an advance copy of the vinyl Flowers in the Dirt, but he sent it to the wrong Nancy:

[​IMG]

jlf, gabbleratchet7, theMess and 4 others like this.
  18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

No "Broad Street" did have a legit DVD release years ago

Shak Cohen likes this.
  19. Wingsfan2012

I must have missed it, what is all this about a "Broad Street" reissue?

20. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

As usual Brian, your post is full of sound looking logic and reasoned argument very well articulated.

But......... I really hope you're wrong! I hope (based on nothing less flimsy that my own desires), that we get a Deluxe Archive Collection of all the albums up to and including Flowers In The Dirt, plus at least one extensive "Rarities" set to make a fantastic collection, possibly unrivalled by anyone.

I really aren't bothered if we get nothing that came chronologically after FITD, as we're then in to the era of CD singles and albums that have been readily available most of the time anyway.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  21. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I have literally gone from being young (in my 20s) to middle aged (late 40s) waiting on some sort of definitive Macca repackaging/re-release strategy.

Give me London Town before I die please.

Eska68, theMess, Carlox and 4 others like this.
  22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Stop making me post this.

[​IMG]

23. Wingsfan2012

Sure but not the death and hopefully "rebirth" of the Archive collection in 2017 after a "hiatus" in 2016!

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I just found out I'm mortal.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  25. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Nothing just more wild speculation that has bored this thread to death.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.