Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

omg noooooooooooooooooo....to quote another song from the first Wings album- "many people seem to take it for a game".............

theMess likes this.
  2. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Bip Bop is Strange!

theMess and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  3. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

This...... need.........now........

4. Wingsfan2012

Don't we all know it!

theMess and edenofflowers like this.
  5. Wingsfan2012

As Paul says live to this day....."Lets hear it for the Wings fans".........:righton:

[​IMG]

6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I would prefer William Shatner.

William Shatner "Sings" 'Rocket Man' (1978) - BES…:

theMess likes this.
  7. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Looks like a pretty good fake. There's even a Capitol logo in the correct gray shade as the MPL logo.

8. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

That is the one I have been waiting for!

9. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

There would be so much great bonus material that goes with these releases..."Waterspout", "Robbers Ball", "Cage", "Same Time Next Year", etc.

10. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I feel like we're getting stuck in the figure of eight.......:hide:

11. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Imagine Wild Life remastered..it's already his best sounding lp..I mean..Tony Clarke engineering and Alan Parsons produced..!

12. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Don't know if we're coming soon or going home empty handed.

13. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

In the latest Beatlefan, it says with McCartney going back to Capitol, we probably won't be seeing Flowers until about summer, 2017.

14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

I think they're guessing based on the Capitol press release, just like we are.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Good point. I doubt they have any inside information that none of us are privy to.

16. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

Just to be clear, I'm not implying that I'M privy to anything, but I read that line in Beatlefan too, and Steve didn't say that the info came from any of his sources in Macca's camp or Capitol or Concord. He just repeated the speculation we've all been saying for weeks.

17. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

LATEST: Phil Collins has joined the indignation at this delay:
    After slagging Paul McCartney off for describing him as 'little' while signing a first edition of Hunter Davies' beatle tome, Phil reported a response from the (allegedly) ex-Fab:
    “I certainly didn’t get any Flowers from him.."

Now wouldn't it be typical and perfect McCartney humour to respond in the press by issuing the boxed set?
    Go on, son!

18. Klassik

Such a lot of good points made that I concur with. I'll add what might be 'objection points' but really just hoping to add to the exchange rather than detract from anything in it.

I think that McCartney has shown that he's intent on following a marketing path that he (and Neil Aspinall) started in the industry, for The Beatles, which is about 'iconising' albums, setting a certain mythology in place and then beefing it up without changing that icon. I believe that this was once an agreement between Lennon and McCartney in their 'principals' duo within The Beatles but became a point of agreement with Aspinall when he recognised the value of Paul's suggestion, right after the split, to 'buy up whatever we can before it disappears' (footage etc). McCartney (wish I could find this just now) once briefly mentioned that he and John had an agreement that The Beatles work was done and that they should limit what they'd say about it. (This was in regard of their post-spat 'cessation of press hostilities' meeting in the early seventies and someone else might be able to locate it in the press mountain)

In the case of The Beatles' records, this is why there have been no 'second cd' reissues and all Neil Apsinall's insistence on never underselling their catalogue have persisted under new Apple CEO Jeff Jones. McCartney, knowing that his albums have been 'criticised' as less than iconic but have nevertheless had plenty of 'iconisation' in the magazines, has embarked on raising their stock and building their iconographies. This was by no means a cert of a strategy but compare the difference in the success between his 90's 'archive' reissuing of albums in 'sets' (at least 'batches') and the current Archive series which has seen Rolling Stone perform a very rare critical upgrade (on 'Ram') amidst much influence of 'buyer opinion' on the expanded 'music press' across his series so far.
    I mean, Grammys? I doubt Paul foresaw these successes (although I suspect Scott Rodger who masterminded the Archive series did) but who now at Capitol isn't going to see this as 'Macca is right'? Also, McCartney has testified in COURT, no less, that he hasn't been making any money from record releases since the 90's and has indicated that this isn't so much a concern as is making 'good packages' (always a McCartney fixation..and what other Beatle has such great packages on their solo material?)

For this reason, I expect that Capitol's 'lease' will involve previously unissued material, marketed very much in the now to a general audience (and to make money for THEMSELVES) while the Archive editions will, as sales figures so far reflect, sell roughly the same amount each time to an expectant hardcore wanting to 'properly shelve' what they've already heard.
    What I don't see is Paul going for the Dylan 'glut' releases. He's shown time and again that records he's involved with, even rarities, can be marketed in interesting ways that attract not just press but headlines. Others have slowly begun to follow but Apple and MPL are legendary within the industry for their success in this area, against all 'wisdom' and trends. They lead.

What I'm saying is that the pool of McCartney material currently in the vaults will now be treated by MPL/Capitol as the Apple pool of material has been as fuel for new projects where the 'iconic' is uppermost but in the present, not the museum.
    Why? Because this is where Beatle success (critical/commercial) lies in the 21st century while others' catalogues are being marketed and sold according to a less particular 'wisdom' that is more industry-faddish

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  19. Wingsfan2012

Yes that is due to the press release stating Paul's catalog and a July 2017 date attached to it.

20. Klassik

I'm sorry but the current 'news dearth' on Paul (apart from some baldy bloke trying to get somebody to read his stupid book) is the signature calm before the storm for me.
    Something is about to hit.

21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I think there may be an announcement this Thursday!

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

soon
    so͞on/
    adverb
    1. .in or after a short time.
      "everyone will be able to buy "Flowers in the Dirt" soon"
      synonyms: shortly, presently, in the near future, before long, in a little while, in a minute, in a moment, in an instant, in a bit, in the twinkling of an eye, in no time, before you know it, any minute (now), any day (now), by and by;

theMess and Haristar like this.
  23. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

He's done worse:

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Flower season has past. The don't come back until spring.

25. Wingsfan2012

Here we go with Thursday again..........