Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I am interested in knowing is the CD Capitol or parlophone? Is it regular release disc or a promo?
    I got the Holland version and instead of the album it is the recipes and same packaging but it comes with the Young Boy red label promo.

2. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Dee Thomas gets the free sandwich & tomato soup, YES

Again the word 'Demo' the subjective word. All this is, two sets of demos for the same songs ? Or alternate masters..

Are there overdubbed guitar solos & double tracked background vocals & handclaps on these band demos ? Or just live in studio 5 piece band recordings.

I think they have to be alternate masters produced quickly with minimal overdubbing. Or else what's the point.

A listener can't always determine if something is double tracked or played live or overdubbed. None of these early descriptions speak to any of that.... Just oh the demos are great..

Uncut seems to say the guitar demos are their favorite. OK great thanks for your opinion, could you please report on what the 88 band recordings consist of... That's what I wish I could say to them.

Great Maccawings says So like Candy & Playboy to a man could be released as records as is.

But, Maccawings, is that just because you happen to dig them, or because they are sufficiently polished & well recorded. Is there laughing in the middle of the vocal, do unintended feedback squelches pop in, do these songs have proper intros, solos, endings, good lead vocals or just a live scratch...

Live in studio is great, if it's deliberate & tight, & properly recorded, if it's loosy goosy like the Beatles at Twickenham not so much.

So in the next couple weeks when official clips or leaks happen, then we'll know. But I'd like to know now, these band demos, are there proper intros, endings, solos, any overdubbing, we'd like some specifics if ya don't mind thank you !!!

3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Sure, no problem.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Parlophone is a Warner Bros./WEA label or marque now. Nothing to do with Capitol or the defunct EMI any more, AFAIK.

5. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Guess you'll have to wait and hear for yourself. Seems like you are overly obsessed and nothing I say will appease you. It's only a month or so away then you can decide for yourself

6. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Nothing yet on the Best Buy "only" bonus for the 2 CD set? Maybe some of this will be announced next week?

7. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I am aware of that, but I was correcting the other post who thought the chart was specifically for "reissues".

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  8. johnny moondog 909

Excuse me. Just a moment please. I'm not obsessed with anything. I specifically thanked you for the news that in your opinion So Like Candy & Playboy To A Man are releasable as records as they are.

I then made a pointed observation, that neither you or the published report in Uncut or anywhere else. Has specifically described anything. Is it overdubbed, are there solos, structured intros, solos, & endings, double tracking.

Those seem like pretty normal questions to ask when describing a pop recording to me. In fact I merely thanked you, I wasn't being insulting or dismissive of you, I was saying the uncut report, only stated they liked the guitar demos best. But offered no description of the band recordings.

I just assumed you were unable to offer those kind of details, for whatever reason. Lack of recording terminology or a non disclosure.

Asking if intros & endings are tailored or if things are overdubbed or double tracked are pretty simple questions. Sorry if I embarrassed you or offended you.

Frank and Skywheel like this.
  9. Wingsfan2012

Can we remember why we are all here as some tensions seem to be running high..................

[​IMG]

10. I think the difference between the "demos" and the "band demos" is rather obvious--the demos are Paul solo and with Evlis Costello, both on acoustic guitars, while the "band" demos feature the"lumpy trousers" band circa 1988.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I think that's how it will turn up. But those "Band Demos" will probably represent Elvis Costello's sensibility. It's a weird situation.

Mr. Explorer and supermd like this.
  12. johnny moondog 909

I'm good. There's no high emotions or arguing as far as I'm concerned. I'm merely trying to understand some specifics about the band demos.

If there are no tailored intros & endings, overdubs, & they are just raw , then it's probably not worth the purchase price to me. But the descriptions we have so far, say oh people won't be disappointed these are great.

So I'm simply wondering what's so great about them, they have overdubs & tight arrangements.. I'm thinking they do, but since we can't hear it, we have to ask those who have. That's all.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I understand this is hypothetical, and optionally what could be the complete overhaul now he's on Capitol.

But a lot of the reason of the long time in between releases is down to the way McCartney himself works. He always keeps himself busy, and more often doesn't even finishes projects he started. That's a good thing btw, he's a creative mastermind and free as a bird. So in many cases they can't really hurry with these so-called A-list releases. A quick remastering job would only take him to listen to it once and okaying it, but these projects are so much more extensive. So normally there's an average of 6-9 months in between those releases, not counting double-releases as one, lately even more. The 'Wings Over America' Archive Release and studio album 'New' had the shortest time in between releases ever, 4+ months.

So that could indeed mean July at the earliest for the new studio record, but here's the thing. McCartney is old-fashioned, there's no way he's going to release an album in the middle of the Summer. The July rumour came from a source who's always only making educated guesses anyway, and simply used the starting date of the new Capitol contract. As we know now, their first release will be in March. And at the point they published that, I'm sure McCartney himself didn't even know which songs to use, let alone the release date. As recent as this month his tour band was together in London for what could have no other reason than recording, with the quick LA rehearsal sessions a week before a new leg of a tour (late April 2017 in this case) just consisting of a few run-throughs of 'Matchbox' and 'Lady Madonna', with them already added 5 or so new songs in the last few years.

It would be good for a small chart success if he does release it when the industry is asleep after all though, he won't have the competition from heavy hitters on the charts, it could be a complete switch in his usual promotion pattern and he won't be able to do his usual "week before release Jimmy Fallon/Jools Holland, week of release Howard Stern and BBC Radio/week after release onto the next release" strategy though.

14. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

I think it's kind of inevitable some critics will rate the Costello stuff higher than the finished album (dare I say, that is probably a key reason why the whole focus of this set is on the collaboration, with the b-sides relegated to afterthought status). The Uncut reviewer finds some of FITD over-produced, so sparse recordings made with a critics' darling like Elvis are bound to have a wow factor.

I love FITD as it is. It will be fascinating to hear the band 'demos' - but no matter how great they are, I'll never say fantastic songs like Distractions or We Got Married should've been ditched. I'm just looking forward to hearing more (new) stuff from a great period of Paul's career.

15. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Part of me puts my money on a McCartney 75 release campaign by Capitol to capitalize on this special birthday coming up and part of me thinks Paul would never allow a campaign to run that makes him look old. But artists like Sinatra had campaigns like that.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My guess is that Paul doesn't want a "Macca at 75" campaign. There was nothing to commemorate his 50th, and the guy never played "When I'm 64" when he was 64, so I don't think he'd go along with something based on his age.

Album anniversaries? Sure. Birthdays? Nope! :)

17. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

No the parlophone label is on the item. It is on the back sleeve of the outer case

18. Wingsfan2012

Sgt. Pepper at 50....hmmmmm sorry had to go there

19. kcjayhawk

kcjayhawk Forum Resident

Wow, this is a long thread and I apologize if this has been discussed. I havent ordered the Deluxe edition yet, would like to boycott because of the download fiasco but, its Paul so I have to have it ... Where is the cheapest place to order as of now? This is where I miss Pop Market, they usually were very reasonable on these types of things. Thanks so much to all...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

I still think "band demos" is MPL's polite way of saying "abandoned original sessions for Paul's album" -- but I won't know if that's accurate or not until we hear them. Maybe we'll get another preview track in the next couple of weeks, and it'll be from disc 3!

Mr. Explorer, theMess, Paul H and 4 others like this.
  21. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

But MPL never called them "band demos." They are "1988 demos."

Mr. Explorer and DeeThomaz like this.
  22. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

Same difference -- it's the use of the word "demo" that intrigues me. Are they really demos with Paul's band, or are they the early attempts to record these songs for Paul's album?

23. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I can't imagine they'd go through all that trouble on so many songs to just scrap them.

I think they'll be cursory run throughs but in a band setting. Possibly vocal arrangements but I don't think to the extent you're envisioning.

We wait with baited breath...

24. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

I believe it's the latter and I think we'll be stunned to hear So Like Candy and Playboy To A Man. Paul was probably crazy to drop those recordings in favor of How Many People and We Got Married (awfully dated production).

25. johnny moondog 909

I need to agree with you're educated guess a 100℅

It could be the opposite as some have speculated, but Elvis Costello for one, said how great McCartney's version of So like Candy is.

Alternate masters with minimal overdubs as a deliberate choice & style, at Costello's urging. McCartney ultimately disagreed & they were shelved, until now.

The absolute lack of even 15 seconds of the band demos, in ads, commercials, news clips, do you think that's deliberate Sean ?..

Yorick likes this.