Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

It sounds like a Rude Studio demo.

2. Claudio Dirani

My faves so far are Tommy's Coming Home and Playboy To a Man '88, along Distractions demo.

3. Claudio Dirani

For the short clips, it seems Don't want to confess is the coolest one.

theMess likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Basically, you buy the special Best Buy CD and then MAIL IN a form (or receipt or something), possibly along with a shipping & handling fee. Then a few weeks later, a 45 will be mailed back to you---if supplies last.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  5. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I've entered 1984. This ride is about to get a little bumpy..... :nyah:

6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm wondering why they felt it necessary to trim the 'My Brave Face" demo by 10 seconds? At that point the fade has begun, but the vocal hasn't concluded.

In any case, it's not a big loss. But the full fade sounds fairly natural to my ears, so I don't see a real need for an edit. If it was up to me, I might have cut the last three seconds or so at most.

supermd, theMess and Sean Murdock like this.
  7. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Wow, I have boh the Beatles and John "Box of Vision". I though great products at the time and a great guest at the Fest. Is "BOV" still around? Any update would be great!

8. Wingsfan2012

I thought mine was nice.....wow, very impressive and incredible shelf!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  9. jricc

jricc Senior Member

My bad....;)

10. jricc

jricc Senior Member

What's next? A date with Paul from Tiger Beat magazine?

11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I think you've misread that. The bootleg is 10 seconds shorter than the upcoming official release, not the other way around.

Wingsfan2012 and Yorick like this.
  12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

You are correct, glad to say. It's too late for me to delete my post, but I hope people will disregard it. Clearly I read that article far too quickly.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Paul H likes this.
  13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I don't think so. Their products were a little overkill, had to build a new extension on my house to fit them in and it took about a week to get a CD out of the box to play the blasted thing.

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The comments about the "Hidden Track" are interesting. It definitely seems Geoff Emerick tried to create a version of the '87 demo that would be part of FITD. As far as I know, he wasn't a credited producer for the album, but he did engineer a few of the later tracks on it.

Am I correct in understanding that the "Hidden Track" on this set is part the "Playboy To A Man" demo track, and not indexed seperately?

Yorick, theMess and Claudio Dirani like this.
  15. Claudio Dirani

Precisely

DeeThomaz likes this.
  16. Wingsfan2012

Very surprised when looking through the Sunday ads that the Best Buy Paul exclusive of the 2 CD "Flowers" stayed at $18.99 each.....

When they did a similar mail in for a 45 for the "Venus and Mars" and "Speed of Sound" archives, I think the double CD was $14.99/$15.99........

Can't see many "casual fans" plunking down $20.00 with tax when they walk into their local Best Buy starting this Friday...................:shake:

Target actually featured the "Flowers" 2 CD at $13.99 in its Sunday ad so I might try a little "price matching" at Best Buy this Friday.

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'll be stunned if I find this at my local Target. Ad or not. I just haven't seen many archival sets in their shelves in the last many years.

But whether it's 14 or 20 dollars, that second disc alone is well worth the money. I haven't heard the official set yet, but the bootlegged material as we know it are amazing performances. The sound quality we've heard so far suggests the official set is even better.

Wingsfan2012 and whisper3978 like this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yes, it seems clear that those tracks are outtakes that were fully intended to be potential album tracks at the time they were recorded. I wonder why McCartney is going with the fiction that they were demos? Does he not want his decision to shelve/rework those tracks to be second-guessed? Is he worried it will seem insulting to Elvis if he acknowledges they got deep into recording an album this way and then he decided to junk most of it?

19. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I had a dream last night I was scrolling through Amazon and a listing for a new Paul box set, it read like this..

Paul McCartney - Complete Albums Vol. 1 - The Wind Beneath Wings
    Pre-Order now - Release date: Dec. 8th 2017 - $249.99

I hope that happens(although I don't like that title) But I can't believe I dreamed that, I've officially lost it..

supermd, Paul H, ZippyPippy and 10 others like this.
  20. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Well..."It's Not On", from the POP archive was obviously a full-fledged studio track, but also listed as a "demo", so who knows what the reasoning may be.

Claudio Dirani and theMess like this.
  21. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Releasing it on the anniversary of John's death?

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  22. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I thought about that, but Hope for the Future was released on that date( if I remember correctly).

This won't even happen, if his manager mentioned a 25 CD box set we will be getting everything at once, if that's what he was talking about.

theMess likes this.
  23. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Sorry if someone has posted about this before, I thought they had and was going to reply to them, but I may have just dreamt it up. (Possibly in a #9 dream).

Now that we've got a whole disc of band demos on this release, perhaps the main draw to a hypothetical Press to Play deluxe box set would be a disc of songs from the sessions for the Phil Ramone album-that-never-was, aka, Return to Pepperland.

24. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

I think at the time, after he and Elvis had disagreed on how to produce the 1988 album tracks, Paul decided that he didn't want this to be exclusively an "Elvis Costello collaboration" and scrapped most of these recordings, choosing to re-work the four songs as he wanted as a smaller part of a purely solo Paul McCartney album. Perhaps looking back, he realizes that he and Elvis were onto something good, and maybe even that Elvis was right -- but he doesn't want fans and critics deciding that these 1988 tracks are the "real" album before he over-produced what became FITD. So he diminishes the Disc 3 tracks by calling them "demos" instead of what they really were -- early versions and outtakes from the Flowers sessions. Honestly, I don't care what the reasoning is -- I'm just surprised (and very thankful) that he's allowing them to be released at all, because many fans will indeed see these as a kind of "holy grail" or some kind of "pure" original vision for the album. I do wish there was some additional focus on early or stripped down versions of the other Flowers tracks, but perhaps Paul feels that it would lead to a complete abandoning of the released FITD -- and I could understand his hesitance if that was the case. Personally, I think FITD is a deeply flawed album, and would gladly re-assemble it with early versions and the 1988 tracks -- but I certainly don't expect Paul to assemble a fancy box set for an album just to render it completely obsolete.

In what to me is a deep irony, Paul could have bolstered the case for his non-Costello sessions by including some of the b-sides (especially "Flying To My Home") on CD. Looking forward to Friday...

25. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

How long has everybody had the 88 tracks?