Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thank you. I haven't had time to sit and compare each and very track, so your quick answer is much appreciated.

Just want to also say: Certain parts of "I Don't Want To Confess" are incredibly gorgeous.

2. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Deluxe down to £105 on Amazon UK at the moment, should that be a sufficient decrease for anybody.

Paul H likes this.
  3. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Low enough for me but spending £91 on my cat at the vets yesterday has put a pause on my spending

4. Arnold Grove

Mr Bellamy? ;)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lead vocal on Don't Be Careless Love is the same on both the 1988 demo and the album version.

6. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I don't see any contradiction to Eight Arms to Hold, only I'm guessing that the writing session for "Back on My Feet" with Costello took place before the recording of the backing track, but everything could be. To my knowledge Ramone sessions lasted one month or maybe a couple, he left after not so long upon disagreement with Paul about the style of the songs McCartney wanted to work on. Th whole atmosphere of the sessions wasn't good at all, according to the accounts of one of the assistant engineers.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Didn't Paul and Elvis first meet around the time of the Kampuchea benefit concerts in late 1979? They probably didn't have much of an interaction back then, but I think contact was first made then.

theMess likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

That one is likely so. Any other of the Band demos with elements that appeared on the released Flowers album?

9. Arnold Grove

Question about the download-only tracks:

There are 16 download-only tracks, and they are numbered in a certain order. Do you think that this order was created specifically to make a nice flow, or are the songs just listed in chronological order (or some other reason)? I am asking this because it is VERY HARD (and boring to me) to sit through 4 versions of "Ou Est Le Soleil" and 2 versions of "Party Party" before finally getting to the 3 cassette demos with Elvis. (Personally, I'm burning a CD with those 3 cassette demos to go with the other Paul/Elvis demos). And as a fan of "Loveliest Thing", which is download track #7, I also had to wait out Good Sign, This One (Club Mix), and others. To me, putting all the true B-sides first (meaning "Loveliest Thing" should have come right after "Back On My Feet" and "Flying To My Home") and having the 12" dance mixes at the end would flow better (if that was the purpose).

But if it all was chronological, then I understand.

10. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I have just redone my personal "expanded" deluxe version of the "Flowers" album, now comprising 5 CD.
    I had started working on this 2 years ago, before I was even aware of the similar Voo-Doo collection.
    This is how it looks now that I have included all the official reissue's bonus tracks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am aware that there was not enough room for certain specific single edits (like the edit version of "We Got Married") but I have expanded it to include all versions of "Once Upon A Long Ago", plus some other projects Paul was working on at the time, such as the collaborations with Duane Eddy, The Crickets or Johnny Cash. Plus the multi-artists songs like "Children In Need" or "Ferry Cross The Mersey".

A lot of stuff on CD4 actually comes from the DVD that came out with the official deluxe. There is too much good stuff on it that it deserves to be heard on an audio CD as well.

"How Many People" is a composite from the rehearsal version heard on "Oobu Joobu" and from the outtake version heard (and seen) on the DVD, it wasn't too difficult to reconstruct a more or less complete version from there.

A lot of the Ramone-produced stuff is there as well, because some of it was released at the time ("Loveliest Thing") or on the various "Flaming Pie" CD singles, so I felt that "Return To Pepperland" or even "Lindiana" (originally slated as the b-side to the "Distractions" single) somehow belonged here.

Linda's "White Coated Man" is the original "Animal Magnetism" version (which I prefer), and "Cow" also comes from "Oobu Joobu" (I think it's a much nicer version than the one on "Wide Prairie", which sounds like a demo).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  11. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I don't think 'instead' is the right word to use. Nor 'something bigger.'

Momentum on Flowers In The Dirt had likely faltered thanks to a four month delay between singles: there was a rapid fire "My Brave Face," Flowers In The Dirt and "This One" set of releases between May and July in 1989, but the follow up single, double-A "Figure Of Eight"/"Ou Est Le Soleil?" wasn't released until November — at which point Capitol opted not to push for a separate "Ou Est Le Soleil" single like Europe was getting, nor putting out as many formats for "Figure Of Eight." A repackaging of Flowers In The Dirt to kick off 1990 wasn't exciting anyone. In February 1990, Capitol opts not to release the new single from EMI, "Put It There."

Capitol's decision may have been influenced by the fact EMI itself wasn't fully behind "Put It There": in the same month of its release, a promo single for "We Got Married" was released and it was that track that appeared at the same time on Paul McCartney Rocks! rather than "Put It There." Looking at Paul McCartney Rocks!, it's possible to infer EMI felt that Paul was going to change up the set list a bit, with more classic tracks replacing the early singles from Flowers In The Dirt.

Capitol, meanwhile, was also seeing the end of the cycle for The Beatles' singles collection, and could have pushed for some connection between Paul McCartney and The Beatles. "P.S. Love Me Do" could have been that great compromise, and adding it to the Japanese Flowers In The Dirt special edition — a smarter release than The World Tour pack — made sense. However, when the time came to release it as a single in 1990, it was becoming clear Paul wasn't as enthusiastic about that single as possible: he only performed it once in Japan, and did not play it every night in California right after. Perhaps he felt his voice wasn't ready for it.

So, instead, Capitol goes back to "Put It There" in May 1990. EMI also didn't back it, as Paul is back to focusing on "We Got Married" in the summer of 1990: it's the only new song that remained at Knebworth, which also makes sense since it was the last single.

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

"You Want Her Too," "Don't Be Careless Love" and "That Day Is Done" all evolved into the finished recordings. Hence Costello's production credit on these three tracks. But "My Brave Face" sounds like it was re-recorded, as the album version is slightly faster, though they kept much of the arrangement. And Elvis does not get a credit on this.

theMess, Paul H, supermd and 6 others like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

That makes sense. Thanks.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Yes. Elvis writes in his book that he met Paul and Linda "briefly" at the Kampuchea benefit.

Paul must have been listening to Elvis around that time, because he recruited Elvis' (then-)bassist Bruce Thomas for Rockestra.

[​IMG]

15. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

That and every song Paul cowrote with Elvis that made the album except for "My Brave Face" had contributions by Elvis. The recording details list "My Brave Face" has being recorded in October of 1988 while the rest of the songs were recorded in January of 1988 with additional recording being done over the months.

theMess, Calico and Mr. Explorer like this.
  16. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

One of the highlights for me on the DVD was the complete promo video for the song "Distractions". Having watched dozens of Paul's TV appearances from 1989/90 I don't recall ever seeing this promo broadcast. Someone mentioned that a snippet of the promo is seen in the "Put it There" doco but someone else mentioned it was scheduled to be issued as a single which is complete news to me. My question is ...was this promo ever shown in full anywhere prior to it's inclusion on this DVD? and if the story of it almost being a single is true then do we know when this would have happened? The promo has a copyright of 1990 so maybe it was to be issued after "Put it There" or maybe instead of? Any info on all of this would be appreciated.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

The full version of Distractions is on my old 'Put it There' dvd, which came out some years ago. Part of the reason I couldn't justify buying the deluxe - I'd simply already forked out for too much of the 'deluxe material' already.

18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Flowers is a "new phase Macca album"!

Sorry been off this thread for a while. Need to catch up. Like for many of us the sheer amount of discussion and surprise about the "Pepper 50th" box has taken most of my SHF attention lately!

19. Wingsfan2012

I know Paul is in his mid 70's now, but I still think he would remember every single album he has done from "Please Please Me" or "Pure McCartney" at this point!

20. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Excuse me if this has been posted already, but the Best Buy 'My Brave Face' 45 has landed. And if anyone is still looking for the RSD demo cassette, Bull Moose had some this morning.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

RonBaker, theMess and SixOClockBoos like this.
  21. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Bullmoose is showing it's not available at this time :shake:

22. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

What is that?

23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

24. Arnold Grove

Bumping this question, as no one has ventured to answer it:

There are 16 download-only tracks, and they are numbered in a certain order. Do you think that this order was created specifically to make a nice flow, or are the songs just listed in chronological order (or some other reason)? I am asking this because it is VERY HARD (and boring to me) to sit through 4 versions of "Ou Est Le Soleil" and 2 versions of "Party Party" before finally getting to the 3 cassette demos with Elvis. (Personally, I'm burning a CD with those 3 cassette demos to go with the other Paul/Elvis demos). And as a fan of "Loveliest Thing", which is download track #7, I also had to wait out Good Sign, This One (Club Mix), and others. To me, putting all the true B-sides first (meaning "Loveliest Thing" should have come right after "Back On My Feet" and "Flying To My Home") and having the 12" dance mixes at the end would flow better (if that was the purpose).

But if it all was chronological, then I understand.

So anyone have any idea?

theMess likes this.
  25. Wingsfan2012

I was subscribed to "Rolling Stone" at the time and don't remember this review....wow I can see why now...............

wiseblood likes this.