Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I don't know if I mentioned this here already, but what if there is a Paul and Elvis demo of "Pas, Paws & Claws" in the vaults and the only reason why it wasn't issued on the reissue is because there wasn't a band demo to accompany it? Elvis did say that Paul never recorded a studio version of it in the book, though he sang the song quite well. I assume it was written with the other batch of songs.

Another reason about why it was never released might have been because it would disturb the matching running order between Disc 2 and Disc 3 and placing it with the demos would be sort of out of place since it seems like everything on the download is chronological by release. It would also be awkward starting and finishing the downloads with demos.

supermd, Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  2. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Yes, Biker is expensive, but the OTG single was even more expensive and tipped the scales. Lucky you for picking up Biker at that price. I will only buy from Discogs/Ebay/Amazon sellers with 100% feedback so that usually means paying a bit more....

3. milo

milo Forum Resident

The gentleman on beatlesblogger has posted some really nice photos of discs 5 and 6 that he created from the downloads. They are really well done.

4. SixOClockBoos

Surprised no one has mentioned anything about the demo for We Got Married. It's on Oobu Joobu part 4 bootleg (from show 3). Is it even a Rude Studio demo or a very early version of the song? It's not the version that appeared on the Return To Pepperland boot either. I was going through my download of it the volumes when I noticed it and I took a listen at it. I don't think anybody on here has mentioned it. Linda's appears on the song too.

5. backtomono74

backtomono74 Forum Resident

I dont know whether anyone else has mentioned this yet on the thread, but on close listening to the 1988 version of 'Tommys coming home' , is that the 1987 demo vocals flown in to the '88 version ??
    Could it be that on compiling the bonus material for the box there was just a backing track for the '88 version with no '88 vocals and for consistency and completion they took a decision to do this so that the '88 demos reflected the '87 demos tracklisting. Would be relatively easy to do with today's techonology.

I also say this as the vocals on the '88 version dont have the same clarity than the other '88 demos and have quite a hazy feel to them which may suggest time stretching artifacts as well as top end eq roll off to take out some acoustic guitar which may have leaked into the vocal microphones on the '87 demo.

Interested to know what others think

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Rob Hughes likes this.
  6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

No.

supermd, theMess and MsMaclen like this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

According to Eight Arms, it's a Spring 1989 tour rehearsal.

theMess and SixOClockBoos like this.
  8. backtomono74

If you're hearing slightly different phrasing that could be acheived by software programs that i have used. Also do you know there werent other takes of the 1987 demo version that might have been used for this purpose ?
    Sorry but Im not as certain as you are unless you can provide evidence that Costello and Paul recorded vocals for the track during the '88 sessions .

9. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

They're shown recording them on the DVD.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  10. backtomono74

Ah - havent got round to watching the DVD yet. Thats not to say that those filmed takes were used but they obviously did attempt vocals on the '88 version at the time then.
    Just something that i noticed with the quality / eq choices on the '88 version.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Try Soggy Noodle BEFORE Off The Ground, it'll work much better.

12. SixOClockBoos

Thanks for clarifying :righton:

13. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

What vendors do you guys use when looking for great deals on box sets like this? I have the patience to wait for the deal...

I didn't think I was going to need the big set, but after hearing the 88 band demos for "So Like Candy" and "Playboy to a Man", I need to hear it all.

14. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Amazon third party, but you have to look often and act fast. Also, eBay. Something likely will turn up eventually.

gottafeelin and Mr. Explorer like this.
  15. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Just downloaded the tracks from the boxset , didn't realise they where WAV files, thought I read somewhere they where MP3.

For anyone who knows iTunes, could someone confirm please, what's the best file type to convert into for WAV in iTunes, is it apple lossless?

iTunes does not allow you to add the artwork for WAV files.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

In the past, I've imported the WAV files (keeping the originals for backup) and then used iTunes to convert into Apple lossless so I can adjust the tags and artwork.

17. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

If space isn't a concern, you can also convert to AIFF (Apple's version of WAV files). You can add metadata, tags, etc.

Carl80 likes this.
  18. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I just did that with Sgt Pepper box. Put the WAV files into iTunes, but keeping the original files. After in iTunes, I burned disks and then made MP3's with them

19. Show Off! :)

20. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

It looks like 4. Good Sign needs to be "bolded". But maybe it's just the lighting.

21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I can read it fine on the disk, no need to do anything....looks great and in my set!

22. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

I didn't say it was unreadable. It doesn't look as bold as the other text but like I said, it may be the lighting..

23. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

Does the FITD download card enable you to download the three physical discs also, or does it just cover the b-sides?

24. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

Everything (wav format)

rstamberg and Peter_R like this.
  25. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

In the past, the download card gave you a digital version of everything. I'd assume its the same.