Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Doing a mean Linda impersonation! She is a regular Rich Little!

2. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Just had a good laugh reading this piece: “In Defence of Paul McCartney and Wings”

http://thequietus.com/articles/01922-paul-mccartney-the-beatles-wings-the-best-of

I disagree with the writer’s conclusion, as I sense he only finds about 20% of Paul’s 70s material to be great while I think that at least 90% of it is.

But if you forgive the harshness of some of it, he definitely nails a lot of his analysis, and makes it a funny read to boot.

Part of his opening:
    And a particularly spot on and hilarious review of Temporary Secretary:

gja586, Fivebyfive, Chemguy and 3 others like this.
  3. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

jlf and longdist01 like this.
  4. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I was about to question why instead of a new installment in the Archive Collection series for the Spring release, we got colored vinyl reissues, and then I thought of why. MPL spent months promoting Flowers In The Dirt's reissue after it came out with releasing demos that didn't make the set, merchandise, releasing articles, posting to social media, etc. MPL did not seem to do much promotion with the colored vinyl releases last year and since the album is nearly done at this point, we had more colored vinyl reissues instead of a new installment in the Archive Collection because promoting the colored album reissues is less work and can be wrapped up quicker than promoting an Archive reissue with a deluxe edition and bonus tracks. Could the less time spent promoting the colored vinyl reissues mean that the new album can follow quicker and all promotion can be set on the new album? Just my thoughts on the matter.

jlf, OobuJoobu, Oyster Boy and 3 others like this.
  5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

The song was recorded around a demo recorded by Linda back in the late 70's... :sigh:

6. Cokeman118

Cokeman118 Forum Resident

To me personally, I find Paul's Wings period the most interesting and fascinating. I am consistently listening to his Wings output more so than any post wings material. That's not to say I don't like any post Wings material. I've been listening to "Press To Play" lately and I love it. I really don't get the negativity surrounding it, I think it's underrated myself. I love Wild Life, RRS, London Town, Back To The Egg. I'm always going to these albums as a McCartney fan. Maybe I'm the minority of fans, at least in Paul's eyes. I also love the outtakes, demos, and unreleased material from this era. I just find it interesting to see how his songs evolve, and I would love to get some unreleased material. Again, probably the minority. The thing is, Paul tried so hard to leave his Beatle days behind to create Wings. It seems he tries to forget about his Wings output anymore. Paul is his own worst critic.

7. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Well I'm looking forward to hearing Denny do "Again and Again and Again" on Friday.

8. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

In my view, Paul's songwriting evolution means he is often moving forward trying new things, not because he is his own worse critic.

JDeanB and Mr. Explorer like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

He is, however, his own worse hair-stylist ... ;)

Mr. Explorer and Monasmee like this.
  10. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Agreeing "woke up fell out of bed dragged a comb across my head" never scored hairstyling points with me either. ;)

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Jon Landau? ;)

daveidmarx likes this.
  12. Cokeman118

Cokeman118 Forum Resident

He can rock a mullet though

Monasmee likes this.
  13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

:shake:

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

That really was entertaining. I disagree with him completely...but laughingly so!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. He's proud of his legacy with both Elvis Costello and The Attractions and his other work even if he and EC can't stand each other any longer.

16. Daltronica

Daltronica Well-Known Member

Surely the core market for these reissues is hard core macca fans/collectors only, and as such, lesser known albums such as BTTE, RRS, WL etc. would sell nearly as well as the others? Personally, I would be as inclined to pick up those less successful sets as I would the big BOTR and WATSOS block busters. Maybe that's just me. And maybe there is a considerable casual market who would drop 70 quid on a 2 or 3 disc box set, when other bands offer twice the material for half the price.

vegard martinsen and Oyster Boy like this.
  17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, he certainly does have a lot to be proud of. I recall many amazing basslines he recorded with EC...

... but that's not what this thread is about. :righton:

wayneklein likes this.
  18. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

[​IMG]

jlf, JLPMacca, ZippyPippy and 3 others like this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Seeing this clip, not expecting any news for many many months.

20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Art direction: Nigel Tufnel.

:D
    Thanks - never saw that before!

MsMaclen likes this.
  21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

As Tom Petty said " The Waiting is the hardest part!"

22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I agree but it doesn't appear that MPL thinks this way.

longdist01 likes this.
  23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

"I was really inspired by hearing how [Bob] Dylan just sat down and recorded an album in, like, a week. We had just formed a new band and I really wanted to capture the kind of spontaneity that I heard on Dylan records. So we just went into the studio with some songs I had and started jamming. One one of them, you can hear me telling the engineer [Tony Clark] to keep recording..."

"We were living on this farm and we had animals all around us, so, suddenly it just clicked. There are animals caged up, and they should be free. Like people need to be free, why shouldn't animals..."

"We were in the middle of this one jam and I realized... there was this old Mickey And Sylvia song whose tune fit over the jam so we just stuck it in..."

"The instrumental bits were just tossed in for a giggle. They were out-takes, really, but we just threw them on..."

"I thought, if we're going to be a band, I should not be the only one up front singing, so I coaxed Linda to do co-lead on 'I Am Your Singer'. And I thought she did great! I mean, she had never sang in a band before and yet there she was..."

Things Paul McCartney says in my imagined WildLife Deluxe Edition.

24. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

You forgot “it reminded me of how in the Beatles we recorded Please Please Me in one day or something...” :D

25. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Released 22nd June, Dub Sandwich 2LP, CD. I think remixes, does anyone have further details?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.