Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

So this year we're going to have WL/RRS Archive releases, White Album 50th, and a new album by Paul, and yet the year's almost half over...color me sceptical. :shh:

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The latest inside scoop on Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway is that they are scheduled to appear "within the next 12 months". So those two Archive sets might not be released until 2019.

SEE:

3. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't see it all happening either but should be a good buying season regardless.

longdist01, Oyster Boy and Darrin L. like this.
  4. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

So the new cards should be updated to reflect..."Comprehensively Coming Soon in the Next Twelve Months".

5. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Add in the Deluxe Imagine and I can't see them flooding the market with that much Beatles product in the next six months. I hope I am proved wrong.

longdist01, theMess and kenbefound like this.
  6. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Oh yeah...I forgot about the Deluxe Imagine.

theMess likes this.
  7. bward

bward Senior Member

Completely agree. A few years ago (ten maybe?) someone shared a Making of Wildlife collection with me.
    Damn if that didn't change my view of it, and helped me appreciate it more.
    I have the donated underground CD packed away, and I can't remember what was on it. I know that's lame, but it's the truth.
    Wildlife still isn't my favorite McCartney release, but I no longer hate it as I once did.
    Fave songs for me are Mumbo ( I've actually loved it from the first day I heard it), Love Is Strange, Some People Never Know, Tomorrow, Dear Friend. And the two link tracks, especially the Mumbo link are really cool too.
    The thing with Wildlife, for me, is it seems like a strange debut for a new band. Now that there's no expectation of what this album should have been (in my mind) I can just enjoy it for what it is. And skip over the tracks I don't love.
    So. I guess Clint Harrigan, I can dig it.
    Ps, I'm in the middle (neither love nor hate) on Bip Bop, in case you were wondering.

8. Arnold Grove

How about "BIB BOP" though?: ;)

[​IMG]

Mr. Explorer, theMess and FKA002 like this.
  9. bward

bward Senior Member

Of all the talked about upcoming releases, I am least excited about the Imagine set. I feel like I've heard it all, and own a lot of it.

I hope I'm wrong and they come up with some mother lode of unheard material.

But I'm seriously thinking about taking a pass on this.

Anyone else?

10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

One Hand Clapping needs to be rescanned in HD from original film tapes (if they still exist). The version on 2010 BOTR seems like a rush job.....they should at least added stereo soundtrack to the film! Lost opportunity for the fans :(

11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Let’s see what they package into it....current rumors suggest a new remix will be included. But will that be much better or different than the 2000 version? My guess is any remix this time will include 5.1 but will they push the envelope beyond that to significantly change the album feel (stripped down or bring new elements, etc)

While we got our share of outtakes on the Anthology, there could be more interesting stuf in the cans. Maybe take more archival approach and show how each song was built up? We’ll see....

Finally we could see HD restored Imagine film or Gimme Some Truth film, that could be cool inclusion.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

What does that translate to in French, I wonder...?

theMess and FKA002 like this.
  13. bward

bward Senior Member

I agree. I need to wait and see what will be included. And I will.

I passed on the Harrison vinyl box. And all versions of the Lennon Signature box too.

Not because I don't love the music, I do!

But from original release to now I have multiple versions of everything. So unless something comes along to knock my socks off, I'm done.

On the McCartney front, it's the deluxe versions that are holding my interest. Those books are spectacular. So I've been buying those plus a vinyl copy, but that's it.

I tend to think McCartneys people will be going the Dylan bootleg series route once the Archive series wraps up with the vinyl four Wings albums. And I'd follow those, as long as I'm not simply buying what I already have.

I guess this second gen Beatlemaniac is finally growing up and going to use his paper route cash for something else! Weird.

Benno123, Mr. Explorer and kevintee like this.
  14. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Bipeuh Bopeuh

15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I agree that Tomorrow and Dear Friend sound finished. And I would throw in Wild Life sounds almost there, but could have used a bit of editing. Personally, I also love Mumbo and Bip Bop. And have always thought the instrumental links are fantastic! [But I've always liked that kind of McCartney weirdness... all the way back to Wild Honey Pie and Why Don't We Do It In The Road..]

That leaves Love Is Strange, which I like, but also probably could stand to be edited down a bit. Some People Never Know is ok, but also could've used some editing. And I Am Your Singer, which is... eh.. could have used a different singer.. and seems like one song that could have used a lot more work...

Overall, I rate it "not horrible". :righton: YMMV

16. Arnold Grove

Prediction: This photo WILL be included in the Wild Life Archive set:

[​IMG]

17. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

"Those books are spectacular" . . .

Aside from the music, the thing that has overjoyed me the most is the replicated historical documents. They really do look like the actual originals! The series is called Archive. Well, if you've spent any time going through an actual archive while doing research, the experience is like that. Touching history.

18. omikron

Is that the same Epiphone that he still plays with and has the Detroit Redwings sticker on it?

19. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

"Love my mullet".

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  20. omikron

The doves are nesting in my hair again.

mrjinks and theMess like this.
  21. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

I've always felt pretty much every single track on WL could have used some serious pruning. There's nothing I really don't like (even the much maligned Bip Bop!) but everything is just too long winded. (I put it down to the wacky baccy).

I once made a severely edited version that included Mary, Little Woman Love and Irish to create an 11-track collection that for me, helped create one of his most listenable solo albums.

22. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Even comparing the Tidal mp3 of the new With A Little Luck remaster to the 1993 version, it's not subtle. There's a lot more depth and life to it. I'm really looking forward to the London Town reissue if this is how it's going to sound. That album always sounded pretty blah.

23. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

Small thought: If -- and it's a pretty huge IF -- the series goes past "Flaming Pie," there will be a real shift in the visual content. As many have pointed out, Linda's contributions as photo documentarian have been hugely important to these books. Not to say that there's going to be a shortage of Paul McCartney photos from any period in time post-1963, but that what she was capturing and how was obviously unique.

(...though at least we can sleep easy knowing that the "Driving Rain" period will have been amply and beautifully documented with candid shots via the famous watch camera...)

24. omikron

Good point.

Alternate angle shot of McCartney at the urinal. Um . . . can't wait. :shake:

25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I would agree, which is why it's off my radar. A definite pass for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.