Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. On vinyl. I don’t think there have been any digital download releases or CD releases of the remaster.

2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

There's a CD edition, and it contains remastered sound.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  3. Yeah, I was about to correct my above post—it appears the remastered CD was released albeit with little fanfare.

4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Who Cares? Fuh You. ;)

5. I noticed that the re-released Chaos and Creation in the Back Yard CD bears a 2018 copyright. I am HOPING that it has been remastered, since Alan Yoshida’s 2005 mastering is pretty abysmal. In any event, I have ordered it, so we shall see . . .

6. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I do.

theMess, C_Jepson and SixOClockBoos like this.
  7. omikron

I've seen reissues with their original year.
    I've seen reissues with the year of the reissue.
    I've seen reissues with both years.

What's the explanation behind this? Copyrighting? Renewing licenses? I don't have enough knowledge of the industry to know but would love to find out.

Billy Budapest and Lewisboogie like this.
  8. A well respected man

IIRC, Chaos and New were not remastered, they are just 2018 reissues.

9. Well, I’ll see. Switching labels might be the reason, but generally the copyright in the sound recording does not warrant renewal if there are no changes at all to the sonics.

10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I do. I want it. You can pass if you don't...

11. A well respected man

Please report back your conclusion. I would love to have Chaos well mastered. I seem to recall someone said it was identical, though, but I'm not 100% sure.

12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Plenty of us here (including myself) have the new 2018 vinyl and there's not been one suggestion to my knowledge from anyone who's heard it that it's been remastered. Everything points to it having not been.

13. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

In terms of albums that simply need to be remastered (and not necessarily given an Archive Collection release), I would place 'Memory Almost Full' way ahead of 'Chaos And Creation'.

14. omikron

Has anyone been disappointed with any of the archive remasters? I've heard a few grumble about TOW.

15. omikron

Brian, why are you never on the Egypt Station thread?

16. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Tug Of War wasn't done right — the "remix" wasn't done from master tapes because they weren't available. The limited edition does have a remaster of the original, though, after they found the master tapes.

Personally, I don't like the Tug Of War Archives because I find the sound… flat. Maybe it's the way I've heard them before, or imagined I heard them before, but I find parts of the 1993 remaster and 1982 original CD have a stronger presence.

Didn't look for one. :shh:
    Actually, this one I got from a link on another thread, and I only get to look at it during breaks from work. :rolleyes:
    I'll look for one this weekend. :D

17. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

My original Japanese vinyl of TOW sounds fantastic. For the archive, they did go back to the original multi tracks because it was originally digitally mixed in 16 bit and was remixed for the archive set in 24 bit. Now, you may not have liked how it was remixed but it was remixed ,from the multis. Each mix varied in the amount of time it took. In all, the mixing took roughly a month to complete. It was amazing going through the original multi-track tapes and listening to all the different performances from such incredible musicians. It was a fantastic project to be a part of and I really hope that people enjoy the new mixes.”

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  18. They both sound equally cruddy and both have been “slammed against the wall” during mastering. If anything, I think Chaos and Creation sounds a bit worse than Memory Almost Full—but just a *bit*—possibly due to the way it was mixed, with minimal reverb. Both Chaos and Creation and Memory Almost Full have been subjected to brick wall limiting during mastering.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. I received the reissue today and I can confirm that it has NOT been remastered. Still sounds as terrible as it has since 2005. The packaging is different than the original release. I’m not sure what warranted a new copyright in the sound recording as it seems to be exactly the same as the original release.

Wings Greatest, on the other hand, states on its artwork and hype sticker that it was remastered at Abbey Road. It sounds fantastic, too.

20. A well respected man

I don't know much about these legal issues, but it may be due to being published by Capitol for the first time.

ZippyPippy and Mr. Explorer like this.
  21. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Add Flaming Pie after that.

jmxw likes this.
  22. omikron

I'll allow you until Sept 7 to read the 900 pages of posts!

23. omikron

I do really like that Paul's vocals are upfront in the Chaos mixes. Makes the album very personal sounding. They need to keep tbat for sure in any future remixes.

whisper3978, Sean, theMess and 3 others like this.
  24. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Certainly plausible, but I would only put Wild Life, Red Rose Speedway in the first quarter of 2019.

Other than that, yeah I can see it exactly for the other releases.

theMess, Mr. Explorer and MySweetFork like this.
  25. omikron

I just listened to the 2018 vinyl of Chaos yesterday. Don't think it was remastered but some tracks definitely sound different. I was hearing things I never picked up on before on the original CD.

Too many other variables to really say though like vinyl vs CD sound and the in the car vs in the house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.