Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Anyone see the upcoming Imagine release? That's the model these McCartney archive releases should be following. Maybe we can get Yoko to start supervising the series.

2. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

The (c) date is the copyright for the songs on the album (songs being music + lyrics). The (p) date is the copyright for the given master recording (the sound). The symbol (p) came from back when music was listened to on old phonographs. It stands to reason that a new master would have a new (p) date but the copyright date on the songs would remain the same.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  3. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

This

peace and love✌Dave

leeroy jenkins likes this.
  4. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Hiroshima Sky Is Always Blue Archive set here we come!

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I would also like to add that the original mix was never remastered, just repressed and included in the deluxe sets, unless they DID remaster it subsequently and I was not informed.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What are you playing the CD on? I listened to both yesterday and really can’t say there was a significant difference. :cheers:

7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Can we have Yoko redo Ram? We need the Ultimate Collection of demos and outtakes! :)

8. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

CD In the car, nine speakers.. Vinyl at home on my tv's 5.1 surround which is really just fake surround for a stereo recording of course.

Like I said before, lots of variabes there.

9. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Do I recall that the mastering they used in the deluxe Archive for the original mix of Tug of War was taken from the early 1980s -- and was, in fact, a well regarded mastering around here and generally preferred to the 1-2 masterings that came later in the later 80s and early 90s? I would refer readers to those threads, but -- as per SHMF McCartney-thread tradition -- those threads had a lot of spread to them and it might be a challenge to pick out a specific discussion amid the tens of thousands of posts on other (more-or-less McCartney-related) stuff there. We're a friendly and gabby group, but that can have its disadvantages!

10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

This guy has said it's the Japanese Black Face mastering several times. Still digging to find the original discussion.

EDIT: Ah, hell I don't care enough to spend all day on this. If that guy says it, it must be true, right? I mean, if you can't trust that guy, who can you trust? :)

I did find in the Tug Of War / Pipes of Peace (Part 2!) thread that @Glenn Christense said he had both and was going to compare them, but I couldn't find the result, so maybe he can chime in if he ever did.

It's either the original 1982 version or the Japanese Black Face version. Either way, it wasn't touched from one of those respected masterings for the Archive Edition release.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    supermd, Rob Hughes and theMess like this.
  11. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Or Yoko could redo Magneto & Titanium Man.

“Ono this cant be so....”

planckera, Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  12. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

From what I know is popular in the recently released albums by current artists, Travis Scott and Nicki Minaj (both popular rappers) hold the top 2 album spots and will be in the top 5 when Egypt Station pulls out of the station. Ariana Grande (another popular singer who was in TV before music) released a new album a few weeks ago that will either debut at #1 or behind ASTROWORLD (Travis Scott's album). Minaj's album will either remain at #2 or drop to #3. These three artists will be in the Top 10 album charts the week Egypt Station will debut.

Last Friday, popular K-Pop boy band BTS released a compilation album with new songs, remixes of songs previously released in the last year and in four different versions. With the sudden craze in K-pop bands by teenage girls, I predict this album will be #1 for the chart in the week of September 4th. Their last release was a studio album that also came in different versions and that debuted at #1 and dropped down to #6 the following week. (Thanks to my friend, who is obsessed with them for some of that information).

So bar anything coming out on August 31st* that could potentially carryover into the following week or anything coming out surprisingly on the week of Paul's new album, we could be seeing a #1 from Sir Paul. Especially if fans buy multiple configurations of the album (I for one plan on buying the 140g album that will be replaced once initial prints sell out, the CD (for a friend) and the Target exclusive CD for myself).

*I do know one thing coming out on August 31st that might interest us. There's a Roger Miller tribute CD coming out on that day with a Ringo Starr contribution on it. Hopefully that should give us something to look forward to that week if you like Ringo. I do suspect this album will not be in any competition for a Top 5 spot in the Billboard 200.

Mr. Explorer and mrjinks like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Interesting. But how many sales (including album-equivalents via streaming) are these albums acheiving to make #1 or #2 or #3? Can Paul's typical sales of 70,000 make it to #1 in a "slow" week?

14. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'm going to go on record here and say that the forthcoming Paul McCartney Archive Collection that won't be released on 9/7 won't chart at all.:D

15. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Oh Plan9 -- he's quite a distinguished contributor on audiophile threads. Completely level-headed, judicious, and well-informed. Like anyone, I'm sure he's capable of mistakes and misjudgments, but I'm inclined to take his word for it. He's one of the good guys. :)

16. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I just knew I could trust him!

Rob Hughes and MaestroDavros like this.
  17. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

It will make top 5 in the nutopian charts. However, the top 4 spots have been occupied by the nutopian national anthem since it’s first release.

The multiple imaginary physical and download copies still won’t make up the difference (even with the mega super excellent hyperactive deluxe edition).

jmxw and Frank like this.
  18. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I know the focus is mainly on the new album coming out in a couple of weeks, but I really wish we could hear some news about this series. Is it done or not? If it is done, can we get the remaining at least re-released so that they're back in print. I missed out on getting Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway when I started my Mccartney collection 25 years ago.

19. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

The new Lenny Kravitz album comes out same day as ES. I wonder how well his last few have charted? I do like his new single Low but will preview the album before deciding to buy it.

SixOClockBoos and MerseyBeatle like this.
  20. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Assuming those multiple purchases balance out those of us who will only listen on Spotify in anticipation of the supposed super deluxe edition coming out next year.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I’ll bet Unplugged and Tripping will get the red carpet treatment, Choba will be combined with Run Devil Run in one deluxe package and the others will get a standard reissue.

22. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

As little attention as this series gets, I bet Red Rose Speedway/Wild Life and then London Town/Back To The Egg are the last of the batch. And actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Red Rose Speedway/Wild Life is it. The Archive Collection releases just don't seem to be a priority at all.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If they finished off the 70s albums, I could live with that...

Mr. Explorer, RAJ717, Jerquee and 3 others like this.
  24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

It would not be surprising but still no sign of that. I'd bet on at least a Flaming Pie after the 70's stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.