Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't there is much of an "ES"-buying public. It's selling to people like us.

Also, you guys know actual sales are gonna be inflated due to the fact it got bundled with concert tickets - including some sold last year?

2. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

What's the latest word on the Archive Collection, Wildlife and Red Rose near the beginning of the year?

3. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Based on critical evaluations, I imagine Paul will go with Flaming Pie next, though I've never loved the album as much as some folks have. My preference would be WWL and/or RRS, or London Town.

paulmccartneyistheman and Aoide like this.
  4. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Wild Life and RRS, no word on date.

theMess and Aoide like this.
  5. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I think I really only liked the Keith Richards songs on Dirty Work. I liked the single versions of the Never Let Me Down album better than the album.

6. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You're forgetting that there will be a standard 1 CD edition and, possibly, also a single disc vinyl edition. The Archive Collection wasn't/isn't just about the big expensive boxes.

7. Paul H

I knew I could rely on you to respond to my comment :)

But even you must accept that you're in the minority, even here. And - assuming that Egypt Station made it to #1 on more than just a bunch of bundled free CDs from live shows and multiple buys from folks here - I also don't see Wild Life as being the kind of record your Egypt Station buyer is going to appreciate.

Oyster Boy, Mazzy and Mr. Explorer like this.
  8. Paul H

Hate to break it to you, but I know that. But you've kind of made my point: a small fraction will care about reissues of his older albums but, perhaps, a larger fraction won't know anything about his older albums and will simply see new McCartney product on the shelves and think it must be a new album.

Besides that, there's wider point about the purpose of the Archive Collection which, as I see it, is to encourage a more positive reception to McCartney's solo career among the critics and other music cognoscenti. I can see a bunch of headlines along the lines of "After McCartney proves he can make great music, he reminds us of how awful much of it actually is".

9. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

All one would have to do would be to flip it over and read the liner notes on the back cover to realize this is an old album. Also, I'm sure there would be some type of hype sticker on the cover explaining just what it is (an Archive release and not a new album).

Zeki, Mr. Explorer and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  10. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Which means the reviewer failed to account for Give My Regards To Broadstreet. The album received harsh criticism for its re-creation of Beatles material because it was altering perfection — something George Harrison also went through, interestingly enough, on his 1974 tour. For the 1989-1990 World Tour, McCartney focused on matching the albums so as to avoid the criticism, something he was still stinging from after the last few years of it.

Ironically, Tripping The Live Fantastic would be criticized for the mimicry, as Unplugged was the McCartney show critics wanted. Unplugged launched into a tour of its own, and it wasn't as well received, which is why Paul mixed the two together for the 1993 New World Tour.

Except the problem with that is the new material. Flowers In The Dirt was reworked for the tour and the reception was not strong: note how little of the new material would remain into the final leg, and how little shows up in the feature film of the tour as well. It turned out that what audiences wanted was The Beatles exactly as he did them — it wasn't until 2005 that he began to experiment with Beatles arrangements again, and this time it was so piecemeal that it began to work.

Press To Play was the first LP not to reach gold quickly, but Choba B CCCP was beloved by critics (prompting Paul to wonder if it was because they couldn't get the album regularly). Add to that the fact that Flowers In The Dirt was framed as a comeback album featuring a stronger co-writer and there was critical interest. What surprised critics most, I think, is that The World Tour was a complete reversal of his previous tours where he worked to ignore Beatles material — now they got exactly what they wanted, the pop hits, and were still not satisfied. They wouldn't be until after Linda's death.

Hep Alien, omikron and Mr. Explorer like this.
  11. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Easy:
    • "With A Little Luck" is tied to a period McCartney remembers as unpleasant: the death of Jimmy, the failure of the Wings Second Tour, etc. And when you add in the fact that this song was rehearsed in 1980 to try and boost audience response to the Wings tour (which Paul reportedly felt was not going well), the song is definitely not part of a period he wants to remember. Note that until 2009, he got up to "Mull Of Kintyre" (his surprise single) and then jumped to "Coming Up" (the last song John admitted to liking)
    • "Take It Away" was created for that last lineup of Wings and passed over for a stronger solo single — "Ebony And Ivory" — only for that number to not be well received live. The lack of interest in Tug Of War material pretty much nixed it.
    • Give My Regards To Broadstreet was a clear disaster: it bombed at the box office and the album was savaged by critics for its remakes of Beatles songs. To return to that period would be the wrong message Paul wanted to send.
    • Press To Play is the album he references at the beginning of Put It There as "the album you don't really like." "Press" was ripped apart by critics when he revealed that the lyrics weren't finished. Fans booed when he announced "Pretty Little Head" would be the follow up single. "Stranglehold" was not well received in Arizona. And "Only Love Remains" did not do well either in its live performance — what helped him in 1986 was the Beatles material at the Prince's Trust concert instead.
    • The New World Tour — and Off The Ground — were intended to be a repeat of the same success with the same band as Flowers In The Dirt. Had the first album developed organically with that band, things might have been different; however, the Lumpy Trousers were completed as the album was reaching its end and so there was little interest in getting the songs to a point they could explore more. The same went with The Beatles component too.
    • Also note that 1973's tour suffers from the exact problem as the 1993 tour: not enough new material to cause a big enough change in the set list. The albums he was plugging in 1993 turned out to be Tripping The Live Fantastic, Unplugged and Off The Ground… and two of those were live albums of older material too.
    • Paul tried to resurrect "Listen To What The Man Said" in 1987 and it wasn't successful, which — when added to the 1984 edition of "Silly Love Songs" — put him off most of the Wings material (though he did try resurrecting a few others in 1993)
    Disagree. Look at the set lists from 2002 onwards, and there's a stronger representation of the early Wings material. He's also delved deeper into The Beatles' material, playing songs that weren't his or album cuts. If anything, Paul has become more acutely aware that audience members are going to see a Beatle and not the man who released songs that aren't getting much airplay beyond Sirius XM and the Internet.

Hep Alien and omikron like this.
  12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The reissue series doesn't have anything to do with Egypt Station.

omikron and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  13. Yeah I totally know I’m in the minority regarding Wild Life but I’ll always champion it :tiphat:

Paul H, sonnyrock, Fivebyfive and 2 others like this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D I'd laugh out loud if that happens.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yeah except that "Robbie's Bit" was very short and only played while the crew set up for the up front acoustic set. otherwise that probably wouldn't have even happened.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. I seriously feel that Mumbo is one of the great opening opening tracks on an album.

Folks here love to take a crack at Bip Bop but it’s similar to Mudpie on Electric Arguments (great song) and really no more lyrically silly than Why Don’t We Do it in the Road. Great fun bluesy tune.

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I like Mumbo and Bip Bop. I've never considered them to be the weak tracks on the album (though I confess that somehow I missed this album as a kid. So my exposure to the album is only in the last three or four years.)

18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I don't often completely, 100% agree with every word in a post. But this time I do!

Mazzy, Zeki and Fivebyfive like this.
  19. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Is there much in the way of demos or outtakes or unreleased tracks that could be on a Wild Life reissue?

20. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

To me, it sounds like the album itself is comprised of rough "outtakes". The demos may be more polished than the album versions.

21. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Part of its charm. I love Side 2 of Wild Life especially. And I also love Linda and Paul's version of Love is Strange.

22. :tiphat: I’ll host a listening party next spring for the Wild Life Archive. Anybody who wants to visit Seattle.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

JeffreyB, Yorick, musicfan37 and 18 others like this.
  23. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Haha. Yeah, the bonus disc will be the finished album. ;)

Sidewinder43, Carlox, RAJ717 and 2 others like this.
  24. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

I like Mumbo also. And while I do like Bip Bop for what it is, I can’t agree on your second paragraph. You can’t compare those songs lyrically when Why Don’t We... and Two Magpies (which is what I think you meant?) actually have some discernible lyrical content, and B.B. just has gibberish and like two lines that are actually sentences.

Mazzy likes this.
  25. Yes I meant Two Magpies. Yes Bip Bop is lyrically very simplistic but for Paul McCartney that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

We all know Lennon’s lyrics are much more serious. Take Beef Jerkey.

jmxw and bward like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.