Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I would love to see Cold Cuts as the next archive release!
    Cmon Paulie!

2. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Hopefully the never-released single edit of "Love Is Strange" will surface when the Wild Life set is released.

3. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I bet it will be a free download, that would be awesome

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  4. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Yes.

5. Brian from Canada

Yes, the 1991 tour. I believe the 1990 leg did some changes, but by 1991 he was down to "My Brave Face" only. He also limited his new material at Knebworth to just "We Got Married," and you can hear less enthusiasm with the crowd for that one number.

Mr. Explorer and omikron like this.
  6. Brian from Canada

From what I've read, the goal was to record an album in a week just like Dylan had reportedly done.
    Some songs were ready, some needed to be developed during the sessions — and then came "Love Is Strange" as a jam result.
    Given the material available, "Love Is Strange" was guaranteed to make the album. :)
    However, it was likely the poor sales of the album that led to the cancellation of "Love Is Strange" as a single.

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I hope that 'Give Ireland Back To The Irish' (both sides of the single) finds a way to the Wild Life set.

8. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Amen to that!

9. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

An album in a week. Outside of Choba and RDR, this is essentially the only other time he's done this, right?

The lesson here is to stick to tried and true covers?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. omikron

Just out of curiosity I checked the Japan setlists which (I think) were towards the end of the proper tour. Same number of Flowers songs as when the tour began.

I think the famed Liverpool show trimmed down the Flowers songs.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. Brian from Canada

I'm hoping Red Rose Speedway makes mention that Paul did an unused piece for Dark Side Of The Moon! (But Denny S. is on it!)
    And, yes, I am hoping that Paul doesn't use the same excuse as he did in 2000 about including "Give Ireland Back To The Irish" in the set.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  12. Brian from Canada

Different intentions. With Choba B CCCP, the goal was to see how many songs they could do in 1 or 2 takes, over 2 sessions. It was a warm up experiment, basically, where Paul put the cover songs he thought were best on an LP for the Soviet/East German market and the one original he thought was decent enough as a b-side in 1989 ("I Wanna Cry").

With Run Devil Run, he knew exactly what songs he wanted to record and told the band, who could rehearse them all ahead of time.

Wild Life was intended to record without selecting the material first, or intending to put out covers, which is why it's such a variety of material. The down side is that it wasn't anywhere as polished as Ram, or powerful as a debut as Please Please Me, but the upside is that you got to see what made Wings so great: at the core of it, they were a band with a good core that could only go upwards. The live shows that follow in 1972 and 1973 clearly demonstrate that… with the one downside (at least to me) being that, at least as of 1973, McCartney scripted every piece of the show down to the dialogue between songs.

13. Brian from Canada

Japan was March 1990.
    He then went to North America, flipped back to the UK for three shows (including Liverpool and Knebworth) in June before ending the tour in North America in July due to voice strain. Same five songs were played at the end of the 1990 tour.

14. milo

milo Forum Resident

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet. I received an email from Paul's website yesterday with offers for new tour merchandise and there was a selection of shirts available. One of them featured the Red Rose Speedway album cover, coincidence?

15. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

So before reading hundreds of pages it is not yet official decided what the next archive release will be? I'm I right? thanks.

16. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Henry not Denny.

theMess, andrewskyDE and Mr. Explorer like this.
  17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I hope so too, but I can't help thinking they won't be, for reasons below I've mentioned before

Oyster Boy and andrewskyDE like this.
  18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

No, not really.
    I just would find the first song that I really fancied, one or two, maybe do that later. Go, ooh, fancy this one. Pull it out, say to everyone, now, does anyone know No Other Baby. And they all go, no. ‘Cause, you know, some of these are quite obscure. So they say, no. I said, well, ok, here’s how it goes. Exactly as we used to. It only took fifteen minutes to show them the song. But these guys are such a good musicians, that then we just split to our various instruments, we just try it. We’re gonna listen to it once, go down and do a couple of takes, get a good take, and it was like, ok, next song. Ching. And that was it. We raced through them. At the end of the week we’d done like nineteen songs, you know.​

Six songs.

19. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

At least give us the instrumental version, please MPL, please.... :help:

theMess, andrewskyDE and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I've always thought Macca was aping Rod Stewart, who was highly popular at the time. By then, Paul was no longer a trendsetter, but a follower.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Maybe, but I doubt it. I think he may have accentuated some of the roughness during the "Egg" sessions to give the album more of a "rock sound" but I think the roughness during the 1979 concerts was from wear/deterioration - I don't think it was a vocal choice...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. omikron

Paul had the guts to release it the first time. We shall see if the Knight of the Realm will do it again. Besides, for my perspective, it's about events in the past. Not now. It's inclusion should be seen as having no bearing on current events.

Mr. Explorer, Paul H, theMess and 3 others like this.
  23. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

He was definitely more hoarse in 79 and it had nothing to do with Rod.

foxylady and Oatsdad like this.
  24. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Yes. By then, the Rutles were no longer bigger than Rod.

[​IMG]

;)

25. cakeordeath

cakeordeath Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.