Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BZync

BZync Senior Member

OR - the photo of the printed materials is really old and the deluxe editions were released months ago but we missed them! I have so many CDs I haven't gotten around to listening to. This theory is starting to seem very possible. I'll have to check my CD cabinet. Perhaps I have had the deluxe editions all along.

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Same with One Hand Clapping. They really should have included the entire soundtrack with the Band on the Run deluxe and not sprinkle the songs across various releases. Thank God they included all the McCartney/Costello demos on Flowers in the Dirt and not just give us the ones that ended up on the final album. I would have hated if they kept "The Lovers That Never Were" for Off the Ground when it clearly belongs on the FITD set.

3. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

What is the logic of combining the box sets?

4. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

For people who want to buy both? Pretty simple logic.

theMess, andrewskyDE and supermd like this.
  5. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Wild Life disc three will be the long-in-the-making companion album, Still Life. While Wild Life was recorded in just a few days, Still Life has taken nearly 50 years to complete. Recording crews have been secretly following Paul, Linda, and Denny constantly since 1971.

The three tapes have now been combined and sped up to fill a 40 minute album. You wanted it all, folks! ;)

6. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

I will say that I and @cmi have one source of information.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  7. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Man they could come out with Super Deluxe versions of EVERY Beatles album and their solo albums on exactly the same day and there would be people on this board that would buy all of them first day.

8. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Why wouldn't I want to buy them individually and keep with the format of the Archives we already have?

Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible) I don't get the point. Are they in a wider box or something? Special packaging? The two albums don't really have any commonality to them so I don't see why they need to be combined together. Why not just release them together like they have all the prior combos. I could see like TOW/POP getting combined but too late for that.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Am I missing something here? Barcodes?

10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I am holding off on Imagine.

WA I will love for it's outtakes and demos, and the remix may be an interesting alternative.

I love WL and RRS each in their own way, but I like LT and BTTE much better, so ... MPL, please don't make me wait more than 18 months...?

Unless... you will make it worth my while [with lots of Bluray bonus content???].

Deano6 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

This is MPL at its finest. Thinking up things that no one has ever thought of before ... ;)

theMess, Mr. Explorer and forthlin like this.
  12. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Definitely getting Red Rose Speedway, Wild Life and The Beatles 50.
    Yes, I have all the released editions up to this point, but these deluxe sets also give us unreleased material aplenty — I want to hear the alternate take with Clapton of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," the longer "Helter Skelter," and other outtakes (for example).
    Imagine was the one set I wasn't all that interested and someone bought me the digital version as a gift as a result.

But that's not from disinterest in John, it's just that between the Tom Petty, David Bowie, Phil Collins, Paul McCartney (x2), Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Jethro Tull and Neil Diamond reissues (not to mention some new albums from other artists I like), there's only so much money — and time — I can devote for this quarter's releases. :sigh:

theMess, Mr. Explorer and jmxw like this.
  13. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

At the time Flowers In The Dirt was released last year, Paul had to be convinced to continue the series.
    My guess is that he's been convinced to do so, and the last two Wings albums will come for next summer/fall.
    And, yes, before you ask, I love these two LPs and can't wait for them to come too — though I doubt there's that much outtakes to be released.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I've pre-ordered WA 50th. Done deal.
    Wild Life deluxe edition is a must-buy for me as I consider it the step-son of Ram.
    Red Rose Speedway deluxe edition is a strong maybe, I may wait until I see some feedback from folks here. If it happens to include a decent remix, I'm in.
    Imagine deluxe is a maybe for me as I only like about half of the album. But dang, it sure has a ton of features.
    Finally I am really interested in Hendrix's Electric Ladyland deluxe edition. That's a more-than-likely purchase for me.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. Thrillington

But you can buy them individually, if that is your preference. And those who might want them together can get both.

We’ve been given a choice. Much better than being forced into buying a box set regardless of which album you might want.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That's what they said about Wild Life too... :cool:

17. Thrillington

Source? I don’t recall this being the case at all. Paul’s clearly very fond of the album and put together a great box set (downloadgate aside).

theMess, Mr. Explorer and mrjinks like this.
  18. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Never heard that either, but I don't have any insider sources so I wouldn't know anyway. I do recall an interview with his manager where the tone was , after the albums pictured on the coming soon cards, they would be taking more of a "let's wait and see" approach .I know the Flowers box was a good long while after the previous archives and some people felt the series woud be abandoned.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Will these two have download only content? That is the question.

g.z. and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. Thrillington

The reason for the delay was the small fact that Paul changed record labels. Flowers was almost ready to go at that time, but naturally got pushed back. We know this from the changed numbers in the vinyl deadwax.

That interview quote has been oft-discussed here. I don’t think Scott meant that the series would be up to ten albums, but rather they’d pencilled in eight-ten from the get go.

Paul enjoys doing them, and they’ve won Grammys. No way he’d need convincing to continue it, but the reissues always take a back seat to new music etc.

theMess, Mr. Explorer, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  21. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Intrigued by the inclusion of the Bluray on RRS deluxe, which is somehow not on the combined deluxe set. Maybe MPL has taken time to clean up and remaster the James Paul McCartney TV Special to HD. Another possibility could they’ve remixed RRS to surround, but that seems less likely one to me.

The other question is why the third CD? More studio outtakes this time or more availability of live material? This week’s seem like good one to announce these reissues. The Imagine promotion has died down and so they can sneak this in before WA50 takes over late October.

Mr. Explorer, supermd and Who Cares like this.
  22. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Perhaps the Bruce McMouse film will finally see the light of day?

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I’m pretty sure there’s at least one mistake in those barcode listings.
    Will have to wait and see.

24. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I had to google Bruce McMouse film and found this 1974 RS interview with Paul.

“Bruce McMouse is another thing. We filmed the last couple of dates at the end of Wings’ first European tour. Bruce lives under the stage, you see. [Bruce and his family are animated and their exploits are spliced in between Wings’ footage for a television film.]”

Would love to see early Wings live on film! Hoping MPL found those film reels and cleaned them up. We’ll see...

Here is the full interview: Paul McCartney: The Rolling Stone Interview – Rolling Stone

25. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

That'd be fantastic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.