Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Yes, that's it. I think the only footage from it that has so far surfaced is Wild Life and Hi Hi Hi.

foxylady, theMess, longdist01 and 4 others like this.
  2. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I remember reading here about the animator for the Bruce McMouse film being shown footage from it care of McCartney some years back. There was also something about reels of the film being at Soho Square at some point over the last few years as well. It sounds like it was a finished product. Anyone else remember those posts?

3. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I could sort of understand it with Flowers In The Dirt as it was mainly content that was originally released digitally anyway, so had always existed in that format (a first for the Archive series). This is why I could imagine them doing the same if either Flaming Pie or Off The Ground sets are released.

I'd be disappointed and surprised if they felt the need to go down that route for early 1970s content though.

theMess, Paul H, Oyster Boy and 2 others like this.
  4. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

Some people felt the series would be abandoned after Wings Over America. And Venus and Mars/Speed of Sound. And Tug of War/Pipes of Peace.

5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

...and that's how they sucked me in.

Of course not. That's what streaming services are for!

Glenn Christense likes this.
  6. Calico

Calico Senior Member

It was me.
    I can tell you that these reels definitely exist since I saw them. Well, sort of.
    When I was in London in the summer of 1993, there was a big pile of metal film canisters just next to the large ground floor windows of MPL's Soho Square office, and even from outside, you could clearly see they were marked "Bruce McMouse"!

7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Frank, you are such a "now", forward thinking guy!

Me? I still wait for the eight track cartridges for all new releases. :p

By the way, my voodoo mind power thing is working.

Wildlife and Red Rose Speedway are the two archive editions I look forward to getting the most and...shazam! :D

8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Substitute "cheap" for "now" and "miserly" for "forward thinking" and you may be on to something.

9. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Those words usually all mean the same thing in my world also. :D

theMess, Mr. Explorer and Zeki like this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm curious to see how the combined box set looks. That just might be the one for me!

11. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Oh mama... gimme all of that...

12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It could be as simple as two sets in a slipcase.

13. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

I would get the combined one, but it'll look odd compared to the other standalone releases in the series. I'll probably go for both sets individually, given the price is reasonable.

omikron and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

I wonder if Paul hopes to do with the Wild Life Archive version something similar to what Dylan did with Another Self-Portrait...that is, take an album with a poor critical reputation and, while not boosting the reputation of the album itself, release enough bonus material to give an impression of "what could have been."

There's the bonus of Wild Life's recording sessions being inspired by Self Portrait's.

15. beatlesfan9091

Agreed. There's a very admirable, almost amateurish quality to Paul simply loading wife, kids, and band in the van and driving to various colleges to put on shows. It's as if for a brief few years between being a Beatle and filling stadiums again (this time with Wings), he really was an up and coming artist once again. Of course, we know he wasn't, but the tone (that's the best word I can think of) of those early shows gives off that impression.

16. revolution_vanderbilt

I thought he was inspired by New Morning

17. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

So, as someone with no real live McCartney knowledge (besides Wings Over America), what would the holy grail of live stuff be? Is 1973 great? Why or why not?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. revolution_vanderbilt

I guess the '72-'73 stuff would be "holy grail" since we don't have very much of it in high quality, let alone only precious few tracks released. After that would be '79 I suppose. We have a fair amount of it released, and even more in good quality, but no full concert release yet. All other tours have been documented very well between DVDs and live albums. (Unless you wanna be picky, in which case the Wings Over Europe tour never got any type of release.)

theMess, Mr. Explorer and supermd like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

February 1972: Surprise tour by van at UK universities
    Summer 1972: European tour by bus
    May & July 1973: UK tour

20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I really hope Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway will be reissued on December 7th, so that I can pick them up in person and bring them back home with the White Album boxed sets.
    Besides, they will benefit from the Christmas shopping period. I bet a few people will buy those remasters as gifts for friends and relatives.

21. Well a few of us loved both Portrait and Wild Life when they first came out :tiphat:

22. beatlesfan9091

I wasn't born yet when either of those were released, but from what I remember I liked Wild Life when I first heard it. Still haven't heard Self Portrait, though I do love Another Self Portrait.

Wiserforthetime and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Rude Studio tapes.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

25. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Well, I have not very carefully sought out the early tours, so take this for what it's worth (not much!), but from what I recall from the cassettes I would pick up at those lovely, shady record stores of the mid 1980s, the early tours show a pretty low level of gloss. One would have to have a rather dedicated lo-fi aesthetic and a love for that dense mid-range 70s live sound to think of the shows I heard as any kind of holy grail. The 79 shows had a somewhat unflattering playlist, in my view, but they'd be much more professionally recorded and mixed than what I was hearing on cassette from the '72 shows many years ago. If I were to select anything like a holy-grail of unheard McCartney, I would select some of those informal performances like the 1974 Backyard Tapes, or some of his oddball solo experimental noodling like the Daumier's Law soundtrack. And then there are the famous Cold Cuts, assembled from various unreleased studio tracks of the 1970s, which are sometimes pretty great and weird (personal favorite: Robber's Ball!), and then tinkered with over the course of the 1980s for possible release. Just my two cents, of course, and acknowledging ahead of time that my 1980s impressions of the early 70s tours may be superseded by the availability of better recordings and evolving musical values. I am very much willing to listen with fresh ears to whatever MPL throws our way. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.