Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

It’s taken a lot of years and perseverance for me to rate RRS highly. Up to a few years ago I was where you are at.

intv7, theMess, OobuJoobu and 2 others like this.
  2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Once I was able to successfully convince myself that Loup doesn't actually exist it got much easier to like.:)

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The version I had for years, recorded off of FM radio (in Japan) at time of release, didn't include the Loup stuff. 20-25 minutes of a very good album.

Frank likes this.
  4. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

this is amazing

warewolf95 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  5. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Once you hear Loup as an amusing pastiche of early 70s Floyd, it becomes much more enjoyable.

theMess, jmxw, Oyster Boy and 6 others like this.
  6. PeterWalker

PeterWalker Member

I've always thought Loup to be more influenced by Studio One dub plate releases and the like that were being released at the time?

Saul Pimon likes this.
  7. Frank

Frank Senior Member

OK. Maybe that explains my disdain for it.

Saul Pimon likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Here is a true story:
    Way back when, I made a mixed cassette tape for a friend of mine who didn't know much about Pink Floyd. I put on about 85 minutes worth of various Floyd tunes. But at the very end of the tape, I put on "Loup". And I didn't tell my friend until many months later that it was Paul McCartney and NOT Pink Floyd. He never would have known if I had not told him....

9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

But how do I ignore my disdain for the rest of RRS? :hide:

Seriously, that one ranks right (down) there with Pipes of Peace for me. Perhaps even lower. I know you're not a lyric guy, Frank, but I am, and don't think he's ever penned a more idiotic set of lyrics than on that album. For me, it's clearly his laziest album ever, from the many stupid lines to the inane Loup, through to the unbelievably repetitive "medley". And the most amazing thing? It was the longest gap he'd ever had between releases at that point in his career - he had all that time, and that was the best he could come up with? :yikes:

Sean Murdock, Frank and slane like this.
  10. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Sort of amazing that the album package included the Lyric Sheet...
    It's like a "Kick Me" post-it addressed to critics!

theMess, jmxw, Frank and 3 others like this.
  11. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Yep, there is all that. But then My Love, Little Lamb Dragonfly, Get On The Right Thing.

12. XC70

XC70 Forum Resident

Today Universal Music (Russia) collects pre-orders for 2 Deluxe Archives - WL and RRS. The third set of Paul McCartney & Wings Wild Life / Red Rose Speedway {6CD + 3DVD} (0602567492887) will be available through premium service D2TS (not in all countries). Other Archive WL 2cd, 2LP, RRS 2cd, 2LP (original), 2LP (Archive) - also at 07.12.18. While no details, UMG promises a press release on Thursday.

jricc, andrewskyDE, foxylady and 14 others like this.
  13. XC70

XC70 Forum Resident

Sorry, I mean D2C - "Direct To Consumer" service

theMess and Sean Murdock like this.
  14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

For me it's SDE of Red Rose Speedway for sure, it's one I really like. For Wild Life, I'm gravitating more towards the 2 CD edition. But that combined SDE of both albums intrigues me, if the price is right I might jump for it. I just hope the absence of the RRS Blu-ray is a mistake from the insider, it would be a deal breaker.

15. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Just give us an annoucnement already

16. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Back in the mid to late 90s I made a Beatles mix tape requested by a friend's husband, I put The Rutles "Eine Kliene Middle Klasse Musik" on there, he never found out to my knowledge that it wasn't The Beatles!

17. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Interesting. I didn't know about the complete Elstree. And "The Long and Winding Road" -- I'm excited to hear that. Thought WOA era was the first live performances. Thanks.

theMess, lavalamp3 and Calico like this.
  18. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

So long as there isn't an unacceptable situation of having to buy the separate box sets and the joint box in order to get all the content, then I'm happy to wait and see what these look like before deciding whether I choose the individual or the joint deluxe sets.

19. mrjinks

Get on the Right Thing hurts my brain:
    All at once you get love on your mind and your world is as kind as a penny! o_O
    All at once you get sound in your ears and your cloud disappears into yellow o_O
    Throw in those shrill backing vocals and I'd almost rather spin Loup!

Frank, Paul H and slane like this.
  20. mrjinks

This is the perfect combo for "joint sets". :biglaugh:

Mr. Explorer, theMess, Erchie and 5 others like this.
  21. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Good one!

Mr. Explorer, theMess and mrjinks like this.
  22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

McCartney: Red Rose Speedway? Was that one of mine? What does it have on it? [Looks at track list] Don't remember any of those songs. Oh no, wait a minute: My Love. Yes, I remember that one. Did I tell you about the time we were just about to record? Yeah, the guitarist came up to me and asked if he could change the solo! Come to think of it, it reminds me of how we used to work in the Beatles...

23. Arnold Grove

24. Arnold Grove

25. Arnold Grove

Very interesting opening acts on the 1973 tour:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.