Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

In my opinion at this moment, Paul’s solo career is vastly more interesting than the Beatles’. The Beatles were incredible and perfect, but Paul’s work just holds my attention so much better. I may have just played the Beatles out, but Paul is really where it’s at. In the Beatles or out of the Beatles.

Even between the years 1970-1980 Paul wiped the floor with the other 3, and I don’t even care about commercial success. He just had the better music imho, they all went against him because of the lawsuits and pure jealousy. John Lennon wish he could have Paul’s chops during his “protest era”, had Paul had that in him like John did, Paul would have taken over the world. The other 3 needed him and never got on his level.

Just my opinion, I do love all 4 Beatles and The Beatles as a group.

2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Given the band he came from it really is against all odds that he did amazingly well with a second band ...Wings .

Sold out world tours, great selling albums ... Pretty remarkable when I think about it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  3. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

Paul is the only ex-Beatle that I think of as an artist in his own right. When I listen to John, or George, or a Ringo album, I know I'm listening to, for example, "John Lennon, formerly of The Beatles." Whereas when I listen to, say, a Wings album, I know in my mind that it's by the same guy who was in The Beatles, but it doesn't feel that way. I've heard Paul deliberately tried to develop a new style so as not to sound like The Beatles, so that could be why.

4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

They'd better put that press release out soon if they want this thread to stay on the rails.

5. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Other than sneaking a non-RAM track in there :tsk: ... I like it! I suppose you'll say "Little Lamb Dragonfly" was a RAM outtake? I'm too lazy to check Luca's book, but that rings true -- and I do love the song, so I won't argue with you. I'm not a big "Smile Away" fan, so I'd keep "Monkberry." "Eat At Home" was a tough cut for me, but I couldn't find a spot for it -- mostly because I ran out of John songs I wanted to include, and I wanted them to have the same track count! I do like how you end it with "Back Seat" and then "Imagine" as the closer -- which it kinda feels like it always should have been, doesn't it? :thumbsup:

6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

There are rails? :angel:

7. Glenn Christense

Yes Sean, of course I included "Little Lamb Dragonfly" because it was recorded during RAM sessions .

:agree:

:shake:

Darn it, although it actually was recorded during the RAM sessions I just lied.
    I actually spaced out and forgot it was on Red Rose Speedway, not RAM. :laugh:

8. Glenn Christense

Yes those rails that take our McCartney train out of the Egypt Station and bring us here.

That's why you brought up Ramses right?

Oh: RAM.

Never mind.

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Go to sleep, Glenn. :p

10. Glenn Christense

I am asleep.My Glennbot 3000 posts for me as I snooze. :D

By the way are you out of the White Album thread now also?
    It's tough but I am. Too many spoilers.

Mr. Explorer, supermd and Rob Hughes like this.
  11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Find A Way Somehow was actually a Denny song that goes back before Wings. It is on his Ahh Laine album. I always wondered why Wings took a go at it. It would have been nice if they had done Baby Caroline from that album (which was for some reason issued as a single in 1977, four years out from the album, perhaps to capitalize on Denny's latest number 1 hit chartopping solo disc Holly Days.)

3. Those are indeed the credits. They swapped instruments. Denny S isn't much of a bass player, as the recording attests!
    4. New recording
    5. $$$$

I like what you came up with. However... I might suggest not going strictly John Paul John Paul etc. In particular, I'd keep the wonderful sequence from RAM of Dear Boy into Uncle Albert. Even Double Fantasy broke the format a bit, with John closing side one and opening side 2, and the Yoko getting two in a row at the end of side 2. Otherwise, I like it!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Richard Hewson did it.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Phew, I still had enough time to hit edit!

Mr. Explorer and Calico like this.
  14. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Paul is my favourite artist but that doesnt mean that I cant listen to and appreciate other artists so I am gonna leave this particular conversation.

Except to say, that RAM is obviously not post-Wings. Of course RAM is the greatest post-Beatles LP. Please read what I wrote before you deride every artist who is not Paul McCartney.

Skywheel and Frank like this.
  15. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Thanks!! Any ideas on Q1 and Q2?

16. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

George Martin arranged and produced Live and Let Die.

17. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Yes, but basing it on what we know was enough to show that there's more than "not a lot" material available for these two Archive editions. :)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. christian42

Oh, I know. It's still one of the songs we know that Wings were recording during the London Town sessions.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. christian42

For both these songs, the main overdubs were done in 1971, well before Henry had been added. In fact, "Get on the Right Thing" was never overdubbed at all during the RRS sessions. Luca Perasi speculates that GotRT was intended for a single in late 1971, but I wonder if, like "Little Lamb Dragonfly", it was not originally intended as a Rupert track. We know that LLD was intended for Rupert, like "Sunshine Sometime" and "When the Wind was Blowing", and LLD was brought out in spring 1971 for further overdubs, just like GotRT. LLD was brought out for some further overdubs in 1972 (which was probably mainly vocal contributions from Denny L.), while GoTRT was included as is on Red Rose Speedway.

20. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

So when we get the announcement tomorrow, do we migrate to a new thread specifically for these two reissues?

21. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Richard Hewson leading the orchestra during the recording of "My Love"

[​IMG]

22. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Sounds like a plan.....we move on to talking about London Town/Back To the Egg or potential Live 70’s Archive here :)

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

As you can see, the two guitarists --- Dave Spinozza and Hugh McCracken --- from the RAM sessions in 1971 are listed in the credits for Get On The Right Thing and Little Lamb Dragonfly, respectively:

[​IMG]

Yorick, theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  24. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

Usual procedure now is for a new thread the moment we get sight of a ‘Coming Soon’ card to discuss the next releases.

So either the title of this thread is amended to add RRS/WL with the announcement, or we start fresh. There’s already been a lot of discussion on the two albums here, so what do people think?

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I guess a new thread would be appropriate once an official announcement is made. Although the last few days have been dominated by Wild Life/Red Rose Speedway talk, this rest of the thread (going back to March 2017) contains loads of info and speculation about matters not related to those 2 albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.