Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Press To Play would make a great archival release. It's an album that he'd probably like to see "rehabilitated". Plus, there are a lot of outtakes, rough mixes (almost the entire album - where "Yvonne" originates), and remixes.

2. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Whem I saw the picture on Paul's instagram, I knew it would already be here causing new rumors. :)

Mr. Explorer and marklamb like this.
  3. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

I agree. It's ripe for the same lavish attention Flowers in the Dirt received in terms of music and video content.

Mr. Explorer and marklamb like this.
  4. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Over the past decade or so, Paul has been saying Press To Play wasn't "one of his better albums" (paraphrasing), or other bland criticisms, but his positive and considered commentary in the McCartney Years for the videos from Press To Play make me think his gentle bashing is throwing the critics a bone. He's most likely proud, and thinks it's a good album. He put that album out and promoted it more than any previous album. All of the interviews at the time contained talk about how he viewed the songs on the album as return to "Beatles-level" quality, in light of his return to Capitol. Critical response at the time was positive. But then the album didn't perform, so McCartney adopted a negative view of it to the public. However, nothing about that album - from the design, the amount of promotion, the videos, the singles and b-sides, etc... makes me think he didn't think he had a great album on his hands. I'm inclined to think Press To Play might be more likely for a deluxe release than other better received or more popular albums (Red Rose Speedway, Flaming Pie, for instance.

ted321, OobuJoobu, noahjld and 4 others like this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Tbh I never heard songs off Press To Play before (except the few on Pure McCartney). So, at least I'm in for a 2-CD edition of it.^^

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I hope you're right!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Press To Play was released on August 25, 1986. It recently passed it's anniversary, hence why the pic might have gotten posted.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  8. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

A little promising...

ENTERTAINMENT: Superproducer Greg Kurstin previews new music from Foo Fighters, Sia, Paul McCartney, more

Paul McCartney, TBD

“I never know how much I can share,” Kurstin says of his sessions with the rock legend, but “I know it’s out there that I worked with him, and I’m happy it’s out there because it’s a hard secret to keep!” Though there’s currently no public timetable for McCartney’s follow-up to 2013’s New, Kurstin promises great things. “All I can say is that when he brings songs to the studio, it blows my mind that he’s still coming up with the most amazing songs,” he says. “I feel like he’s topping himself.”

9. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I think the last thing I want to hear is that McCartney is topping himself!
    :eek:

hazard, JDeanB, Thrillington and 3 others like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Better than tossing himself ... :hide:

Mr. Explorer and OobuJoobu like this.
  11. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

You think so

Dave
    Peace and love✌

12. dbaps2

dbaps2 Well-Known Member

Is there much of a chance he's done with the archive collection? Someone mentioned matching the 1993 releases and stopping. I'm just asking...I realize the insert said to "stay tuned" and pay attention to his website. I'm sure the move to Capital just slowed things down a little bit is all...

I really want the double album of RRS...In fact at this point a concert tour with just the RRS double album and ColdCuts would be awesome...LOL...Or maybe Elvis and Paul can just tour and do a live version of everything they jammed on and now finally released.

13. Arnold Grove

Just as an aside:
    While we are contemplating the incomprehensible and so-far-nonexistant COMPREHENSIVE PLAN, Bob Dylan has a new upcoming set of his Gospel-era material (due out in November): 2-CD and 9-CD/DVD sets!!! If Bob can release a physical 9-disc of his Jesus period, Paul definitely needs to stop being so hesitate to open his vaults, and to stop being so stingy with his bonus material.

The mind boggles at what is possible.

14. I've often wondered, is the mind the only thing that can boggle?

15. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Why the he!l everything with McCartney has to be a secret locked in 110 keys? Its not like everybody in the world is checking on him. Only us, who spent serious time listening and researching his music are actually.

16. Arnold Grove

My kids (and myself, I must admit) enjoy:

[​IMG] ;)

17. Arnold Grove

The ILLOGICAL logic of MPL... :shrug:

18. Arnold Grove

UPDATE: And if you order the 9-disc set directly from Dylan's website, they will add 2 extra CDs of another unreleased live concert from 1979! So that's 11 discs!!

Imagine if Paul's website included bonus discs for ordering his products directly, instead of giving us coloring pages...

19. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I like the coloring pages.....good stress relief

SixOClockBoos and Arnold Grove like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Do you use crayons or colored pencils? ;)

Mr. Explorer and SixOClockBoos like this.
  21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Depends on my mood

22. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I’ll bet you use crayons. They won’t let you use sharp objects. :p

Paulwalrus and Arnold Grove like this.
  23. Why aren't colored markers an option?

24. Arnold Grove

They bleed through the page, so it ruins the "art". Plus DaVinci never used markers either.... ;)

25. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

And highlighters.

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.