Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

His twitter account posted those cryptic videos right before the Pure McCartney announcement, right?

Oyster Boy and FKA002 like this.
  2. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Another deluxe treatment of Band On The Run is coming with "Helen Wheels" as a bonus track. Wow! Golly! Can't wait...

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, 'Come And Get It' then.

Darrin L. and Sidewinder43 like this.
  4. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Honestly, if Emma Stone gave me any indication that she'd be interested in partying with me,... oh never mind.

But the emojis project was (theoretically) an interesting challenge to take up. I think it's nice that Paul saw its challenges and was game for the project.

I do appreciate the perspective that Paul would do a lot of us a favor if he could just commit to a release schedule for material that is, in all likelihood, already in an advanced state of preparation (agreeing with jmxw upthread). But I also like that Paul is the kind of creative artist who is looking for new opportunities to try something different and challenging in music-making. So I say: good for him!

foxylady, maywitch, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I don't have a problem with the little projects. I think they're goofy and pointless, but Paul's always been goofy. You get that when you buy your ticket for the Paul train.

I do think his near inability to follow through and complete with any consistency huge announced projects is a problem, though.

I don't think the emoji thing or hanging out in a tee-shirt about himself with kids detracted from the Archive or the new album, but I find it funny to juxtapose his enthusiasm for one vs his apathy for the other.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  6. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

No, uh, reconsideration of the Emma Stone thing to offer? :love:
    Just trying to get you to soften up your public image there, Knarfy. :)

mrjinks and Frank like this.
  7. Frank

Frank Senior Member

She does nothing for me if we're being honest. She looks elfen, and her head is too small. :sigh: Like a giant-toothed anime.

8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Probably nothing new, but did anyone mention that in the current Paul McCartney tour book the Archive Releases are being mentioned as present tense? As an ongoing project, for which they are looking back at the releases "so far", etc.?

9. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I think "so far" as a quote is new. I don't remember seeing that in press releases.

How current is the current tour book? Flowers was released during "One on One," so if it dates to the beginning of the tour, it may not mean much.

10. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I don't know since when this is featured. It's completely focused on 'Flowers' though, so it's at least from after that last announcement, meaning there's at least one more release coming. @5th-beatle is our tour book expert, so he knows the answer.

5th-beatle likes this.
  11. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I quote: "With the recent release of 'Flowers In The Dirt', the 10th reissue in the Paul McCartney Archive Collection, we thought it was time for a look back at some highlights from the series so far."

4 pages on all releases, typical Daw Bell fawning PR blurbs, and a summary of the extras included.

Concluding with: "Keep an eye out for news of the next release on PaulMcCartney.com!"

jlf, andrewskyDE, Hep Alien and 9 others like this.
  12. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

The first "one on one" program published in April 2016 included: "With work recently commenced on the 10th reissue in the Paul McCartney Archive Collection, we thought it was time for a look back at some highlights from the series so far".
    Since they're keeping the "so far" bit, I guess it means the series will go on. Fingers crossed!

Mr. Explorer and mindgames like this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Slight correction:
    Keep an eye out for news, coming soon in 2019, of the next release on PaulMcCartney.com

;)

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Personally I think life is much to short to worry about things like how Macca operates his business. To those here who almost has an image to live up to when it comes to complaining and question Paul's desicions. Cool down-Paul obviously have and has had a rather successful career so he and his crew might not be as clueless as some here believe. The real money these days comes with touring so Paul tours. He also seems preoccupied with all kinds of side-projects. Nothing new there. The archive-series runs in slow motion. What s the hurry anyway.
    Personally I look forward to a new album from Paul-at this stage it could be an interesting one.
    Iv said it before and I say it again. Paul owes us zero and as long as he is healthy and enjoying himself I don t mind what he s up to. New music is a bonus but as far as Im concernef Paul has given us more than enough already

andrewskyDE, fer2, supermd and 5 others like this.
  15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

At this stage, in terms of the Archive Collection, all I want is the four remaining Wings albums back out on CD.

16. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Along with good new vinyl editions of the 4 that would do me as well. Archive material would be nice from those periods/albums but who knows what they will do at Capitol/MPL.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Wishful thinking (my wish too!). But that's like asking for (Flaming) Pie In The Sky ... ;)

Flaming Torch likes this.
  18. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

I think there's no need to worry, why the hell they would completely stop the Archive Collection and/or to remaster the remaining albums, OF COURSE ALL THE ALBUMS ARE GONNA BE IN THE ARCHIVE!

Deano6 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  19. C_Jepson

C_Jepson Forum Resident

If Flaming Pie is the next release, then I think the continuation of the Archive series is questionable (certainly in the 2CD/Box Set format we know from the past 10 releases). As many have already noted, they seem to now be cherry-picking the albums with the best critical/fan response, and from the 20th century, Flaming Pie seems to be the last likely contender for what is considered a 'well-recieved' album. If, however, an album such as Press to Play, Broad Street or Wildlife is chosen, then there's hope for the series. Personally, I dont really care what comes next (although I do hope they finish off the 70s), just so long as we have some sort of confirmation (or 'comprehensive plan') of the series's continuation.

Mr. Explorer and Oyster Boy like this.
  20. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

‘cherry-picking the albums with the best critical/fan response’

Such as Pipes of Peace, McCartney II, and Speed of Sound?

There’s no way Capitol would leave the rest of the Wings albums off the table. And why bother re-releasing single LP versions of the series so far if they’ve only got one more release left? It would’ve made more sense to release a complete set next year.

I expect we’ll get 2 Wings reissues (first and last, or in chronological pairs), followed by Flaming Pie (and OTG?), then the remaining two Wings albums. Not sure where Broadstreet would fit in. It won’t sell well, but it would be a shame to leave out a studio album.

21. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Releasing a 'Wild Life' Archive Collection alone won't happen as it had no hit single from or around it's release to create general interest. 'Red Rose Speedway' at least had "My Love" (and "Live And Let Die") released from (and around) it, so maybe it will be combined with a release of 'Wild Life'.

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Using logic when talking about MPL, huh?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    Mr. Explorer and Mumbojunk like this.
  23. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

You’re in an optimistic mood today Arnold ;-)

jlf, Arnold Grove and Zeki like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Yes, I was going to say by 2023 (instead of 2019), but the sun was shining and I noticed an unopened bottle of beer that someone overlooked from last night's party---so yep, I'm optimistic today! ;)

25. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Ideally I'd like a stand alone box showcasing Wings first tour (UK/Europe), but if that doesn't happen then I would expect it to be used as part of a Wild Life set to make it more attractive to a wider audience.

Oyster Boy, Mr. Explorer and RAJ717 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.