Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

A live bonus disc would be enough to make me buy an Archive Collection of Wild Life, and I can't stand that album! They began to gel on tour after the lp.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  2. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

I've just put that through my handy-dandy, magical translator/PR-speak decoder and here's what it says:

Keep an eye out for news coming soon about Paul McCartney's next album on PaulMcCartney.com

Because, you know, they probably mean that, not another Archive Collection release. :shake:

3. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Would love to get Red Rose Speedway. Doubt it happens.

4. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I'll wager you an imaginary amount that it does. Capitol haven't signed McCartney just to sit on an out of print catalogue.

Thrillington, JDeanB, fer2 and 5 others like this.
  5. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

50th anniversary not that far away :cool:

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Absolutely not-they signed Paul to finally deliver the longawaited super deluxe edition featuring multitude takes of Mary had a little lamb. The set will reportedely include:
    A heavy metal version
    A bossa Nova version
    A pshycedelic version
    A adult only version-that s a dirty one
    A stoner version
    A prog version
    A symphonicversion

Can t wait for that one

:)

petertakov, fer2, Oyster Boy and 3 others like this.
  7. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Not forgetting:
    A techno version
    An unplugged version
    An accapella version (featuring members of Brian Wilson's band as "The Ba Ba Barbershop Quartet"
    A reggae version (as "Suzy And The Red Stripes")
    A rap version featuring Blacksheep 50 T titled " Mary In Da Hood")

8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

They will be there to:winkgrin:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The 50th anniversary is important, and not necessarily because they intend to market a Red Rose Speedway: 50th Anniversary Edition. (In fact, there's some evidence they're avoiding timing reissues to big anniversaries.)

If McCartney has any interest in ever releasing unreleased recordings from 1972-1973 (for instance, "Tragedy," "Best Friend," and "1882"), he has only five or six years to do so and prevent them from falling into the public domain in some countries.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No, but that doesn't mean these deluxe editions will continue. Capitol might be happy to just re-release the original albums and repackage hits every so often...

Frank and Mr. Explorer like this.
  11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It would make ZERO sense for there not to be a Red Rose Speedway Deluxe Set. It's his album with the most unreleased/left-over tracks, at least 25 in all! It's probably the album they've been looking forward to do the most.

12. Oatsdad

It's not about logic - it's about $$$. If they don't think "RRS" - or whatever - will sell, they won't do it...

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

If that's the case, why in the heck would they have done "McCartney II?"

14. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

The album and single ("My Love") both hit #1 in the U.S.

"My Love" was on the charts for 18 weeks.

There are several outtakes.

It'll get a reissue.

15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Because that was Hear Music.

How many discs in Capitol's version? I'm guessing that'll be about the same number of discs as they'll release with RRS.

Yep, the Capitol version of RRS will definitely include My Love. I bet they'll even make it the second track.

jlf, Mumbojunk and Yorick like this.
  16. Oatsdad

IMO, "Macca II" got a release because:

A) It allowed them to pair it with "McCartney". They knew that many fans would opt to grab the 2nd album when they bought the 1st.

B) "Macca II" has had a positive reappraisal in recent years - it's viewed in a better light than in the past.

"RRS" hasn't had the same upward reappraisal.

Also, I suspect there's some of C) Macca likes to look like he was an innovator, and the more ambitious "Macca II" lets him do so in a way "RRS" doesn't...

17. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I would have expected to see Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway paired together because it would give Paul another opportunity to push the story of Wings, Linda's involvement in the band, the family tour bus, the university tour, all the things Paul likes to discuss. Plus, there is a lot of live material to get into, unreleased stuff, etc...

18. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

RRS has also been OOP in the States for the better part of 30 years, right? Not much chance for reappraisal there.

19. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I'm with you... though I don't think they ever do this stuff out of the goodness of their hearts!!! Red Rose Speedway was a successful album release and home to one of McCartney's most successful singles. On that basis alone any reissue campaign would HAVE to include it over much less successful albums like Press to Play or EVEN Flowers in the Dirt or Broad Street where arguably one NEVER hears a song from those daily on soft rock radio!!!

But just as you can't have a Beatles Capitol Albums set without Yesterday.. and Today(although the first reissue series did just that!) so too can you NOT have a complete reissue archive set without RRS which is the most juicy archive item possible. It features outtakes from RAM, features the last batch of material developed during the end of the Beatles and is a formative album in the history of Wings, and it is attached to the James Paul McCartney TV special... not to mention there is supposedly that submitted double album master. But should-be-released reasoning gets us nowhere or we'd be enjoying our remixed, 5.1, and quad issue of Venus & Mars right now wouldn't we? The ONLY thing holding this up I think is McCartney's own maintenance of his legend and focus on the Band on the Run and onwards mythology. It's a major misstep in his mind and a reminder of a very stressful time and it has been banished in McCartney-Land.

still... the Beatles and APPLE have to realize that for the hardcore fan all that means is "when can you put it out???"

Zeki and Mr. Explorer like this.
  20. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

He likes to talk about it but apparently doesn't like to HEAR it!! Also... considering how important the reappraisal of RAM and McCartney II have been in his legend, McCartney seems more focused on the era when he re-established Paul McCartney as a solo identity. He did not seem to do a lot around RAM and, other than Heart of the Country, hasn't moved to canonize those songs too much. Doesn't seem terribly interested in bringing the band members into the spotlite either... which could also explain why London Town isn't a sure bet. I mean if YOU were reissuing this legacy artist's records and those albums were home to MILLION SELLERS like "My Love" or "With a Little Luck" is there ANYTHING that could stop you from getting those things back into stores for THIS fanbase?

Mr. Explorer and Oyster Boy like this.
  21. Oatsdad

I expected that too - I think most of us did.

And I think we expect that if they ever do put out deluxe versions of either album, they'll come together - like we all expect "London Town" and "Egg" to be paired...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

But all the Macca 1993 remasters were easily available in the States - for years and years, you could find them at places like Best Buy and Sam Goody, so it's not like they were rare.

Before it got re-released, "Macca II" would've had the same "out of print" issue and it got reappraised in that period, so I don't see why "RRS" couldn't have gotten the same fresh look...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Also, the full McCartney catalog, including Wild Life, RRS, etc, is available via streaming services (copyright Universal). I don't think that was the case a while back (was it?), but it is now.

24. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Why does it need reappraisal. It just needs to be in print, like everything else he's done. Well, maybe not Broad Street.:hide:

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

The discussion looked at why "Macca II" got a deluxe but "RRS" didn't, and I offered the reappraised of "Macca II" as an explanation...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.