Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And in tangential news:
    I would also like to point out that we'd like to keep this thread open and running smoothly, along with the other Flowers thread. It's been enjoyable, and informative, and silly at times in this thread, but we're well behaved. So please keep it that way. The Sgt Pepper anniversary set thread just got closed down because it veered way off the rails into a lot of bitter derogatory comments among some members. I really don't know where that pent-up angry was coming from, but it ruined that thread and now its closed. You all know that I joke around, but I do have a serious side---and it's important to be mindful of other people's opinions on a public discussion forum.

And as proof: If anyone wants to put down "Bip Bop", you are free to do so. Just be polite about stating your opinion.

2. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Nice post, thanks.

Depending on ones view you could say that Paul was finding himself or didn’t care what others thought before BOTR but you are correct in that we wouldn’t get funky, free and intimate McCarney after that. No more tunes like Momma Miss America, Monkberry Moon Delight, Big Barn Bed, the intimacy of Some People Never Know and Dear Friend or the inside digs of Too Many People.

Bring on the WL and RRS releases.

Mr. Explorer, Piiijiii and Syd Avett like this.
  3. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Wild Life:
    How the joy of Ram led Paul to think about a second band, the image of angel's wings that led to the name, early sketches of the logo, choosing Denny Laine, the idea behind the album/the recording sessions, Give Ireland Back To The Irish controversy, Mary Had A Little Lamb, rehearsing for touring
    bonus tracks:
    Give Ireland Back To The Irish
    Give Ireland Back To The Irish (Version)
    Indeed I Do
    Mary Had A Little Lamb
    Mama's Little Girl
    Blackpool
    African Yeah Yeah
    The Mess (studio version)
    Soily
    Lucille (rehearsal)​

Red Rose Speedway:
    "Hi Hi Hi," the question of touring with the family, planning for a double album but ending up a single, the change in guitarists mid-recording sessions, "Live And Let Die," the UK tour and the television special
    bonus tracks:
    Night Out
    Best Friend (live)
    C Moon
    Jazz Street
    Tragedy
    Loup (1st Indian On The Moon) [alternate]
    Henry's Blues (live)
    I Would Only Smile
    Thank You Darling
    Live And Let Die
    I Lie Around
    James Paul McCartney acoustic medley (Bluebird/Mama's Little Girl/Michelle/Heart Of The Country)
    Gotta Sing Gotta Dance
    Hi Hi Hi
    The Mess (live at the Hague)
    Yesterday (from James Paul McCartney)​
    bonus CD: Newcastle 1973
    Soily
    Big Barn Bed
    When The Night
    Wild Life
    Seaside Woman
    Little Woman Love/C Moon
    Live And Let Die
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    My Love
    Go Now
    The Mess
    Hi Hi Hi​

(Yes, I know "Say You Don't Mind" was also played in Newcastle, but this holds it for the 1972 tour album as an attraction.)

4. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

Excellent points! Many fans say that Paul finally got "serious" or "good" with Band On The Run and Venus And Mars but us disciples of The JSD Postulate say that Paul got beaten back into his "Beatle Paul Box" like an abused dog with those two albums. V&M does not come anywhere close to the admitted charm of BOTR, being so calculated as a so-called "concept album" when it did not have a central concept any more that Sgt. Pepper did other than the first two songs and the Reprise!

For followers of The Postulate, Paul was a God on those first four Solo albums when he was doing it his way and his way alone and not the way of the critics or snobbish Beatles' fans!

Mr. Explorer and WorldB3 like this.
  5. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

Bip Bop Coming Soon Tote Bag!!!

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  6. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Thanks for saying this as it was getting pretty heated over there. So much so I had to tune out contemplating who I may now Ignore.

What I mostly remember about growing up with Ram, Red Rose Speedway & Wings Wild Life was how these albums felt more off-the-radar personal to a teenage boy like me. While other artists were more popular at the time, Paul's reclusive period (by comparison) seemed to speak in private to his core base of which I was an avid fan: hook, line, & sinker.

Paul & Linda ensconced away on their remote farm merely reinforced the fantasy that my listening experience was indeed an intimate one rarely shared with others. Such albums felt far more whimsical & esoteric as if I were unearthing some hidden treasure rarely heard on the radio unlike my friends who were remaining "hip" by listening to blues rock, progressive rock, & heavy metal.

By contrast, Paul's albums during this time period felt warm & family-oriented as if he was letting me in the secret side door as a welcome member.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Skywheel, jricc, MsMaclen and 7 others like this.
  7. The Fiftieth Beatle

The Fiftieth Beatle Forum Resident

Sign me up for those two sets if those are the contents (MPL should hire you). I'm not even a huge fan of Wild Life but would be frothing at the mouth for that set. Have always loved Red Rose Speedway and the outtakes from that era.

8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

You have perfectly encapsulated what makes Paul's initial 'domestic rock' albums so special, and I can only imagine how wonderful it must have been to have lived through the original releases of those albums.

No-one else was writing anything like 'Little Lamb Dragonfly' or 'Monkberry Moon Delight' at that time, and it is a shame that Paul no longer writes in that style (or at least not very often).

His most recent song to remind me of that era was the lovely 'Two Magpies' from 'Electric Arguments'.

9. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yes...just as it would have made more sense to have "Glasgow '79", "One Hand Clapping" and the McCartney/Costello collaboration as seperate/stand alone releases.

10. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

I believe that Paul was a broken man soon after The Beatles disbanded not to mention the subsequent lawsuits (so I won't mention it). It was Linda who believed in him throughout and I'm convinced that their love for each other saved his life, especially as a songwriter. That sense of family shines in those albums no matter how outrageous, tender, or silly. After all, they no longer cared what others thought of them which to me was a sign of personal growth, all while fostering a sense of childlike innocence.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  11. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

JSD are the initials of a Paul McCartney/Beatles fan who dared challenge in the late 1980's and early 1990's the Conventional Wisdom on Solo McCartney as propounded by the likes of ROLLING STONE, Roy Carr & Tony Tyler of The Beatles: An Illustrated Record, otherwise benign Nicholas Schaffner, The Beatles Forever, and several other sources that claimed early Solo Paul sucked until Band On The Run!

JSD himself was driven to insanity by the hostile attacks from anti-McCartney forces and even some pro-McCartney factions who had a vested interest in said CW and never saw his Postulate gain credibility on a mass scale prior to his involuntary commitment. Others though like me have grabbed the reins of the battle colors and continue the fight to rehabilitate early solo McCartney! McCartney and Ram have been gloriously rehabilitated but the fight continues for Wings Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway!

BellaLuna, BeSteVenn, WorldB3 and 3 others like this.
  12. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Dare I say it, Paul now seems to be perpetuating the McCartney "brand." However, can you blame him? He's a household name to generations around the world clamoring to see a Beatle perform. When you're that big, how do you go back to the farm?

Alas, we're in a different age, with a different Paul, because we're all older, with stakes that seem to be much higher. I can't even imagine the pressure for such an artist to remain relevant in an age with so many musical genres whereby "nowadays every night flashes by at the speed of light."

Then again, I don't know how The Beatles did it either. Hit after hit after hit like there was no tomorrow.

Only tomorrow is here, and still I can't wait to hear what Paul does next. :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  13. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

Great citation, theMess! The writer of that article is well known and respected by the Macca Postulites and indeed is one of us!

Mr. Explorer, l-l-d and theMess like this.
  14. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

We are certainly a growing demographic. :D

Mr. Explorer and Syd Avett like this.
  15. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Thanks theMess.

Each new release by Paul was magic because it was friggin' Paul McCartney! One of The Beatles. The same band that I watched evolve ever since Ed Sullivan bigger and better and more iconic with each new album. The haircuts from 1962-1970 a telltale symbol of the dramatic musical changes along the way.

And Paul's songs were changing so rapidly within the Fab Four that I didn't know what to expect next, each tune like a musical adventure that took you places like a movie. When I first heard Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey on the radio I couldn't believe it! Pure colorful whimsy on steroids run amok. Homegrown British charm rocking enchanted hands across the water. Yellow Submarine reconditioned for air transport, all sung by a guy with a voice from heaven who helped change musical history.

Indeed, it was his solo albums that revealed a deeper musical spirit that helped me recognize, and further appreciate his role with his former bandmates, whereby I could then go back to those albums to analyze the arc of his unique contributions along the way.

When folks tell me they love The Beatles I usually ask "which album?" because, well, loving "The Beatles" could mean different things to different people considering they were a different band every 3-4 months. That Paul continues that growing tradition tempered throughout the years speaks volumes as a respected artist.

Yet, what's especially amazing to me is that I could have been born at any time in history. One hundred years earlier or one hundred years later and I would have missed it all.

Yet here we are sharing the magic and I am forever blessed....

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  16. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

What change in guitarists would that be? Henry McCullough was there for the entire album sessions.

17. Arnold Grove

I believe it was a temporary sex-change, wherein Henry McCullough switched to Henrietta McCullough for some of the sessions. But by the end, Henry was back to being Henry. ;)

theMess likes this.
  18. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

And don't forget I Don't Want to Spoil The Pie and Why Don't We Eat Pie in the Road

19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I got the: It's an album you just throw on and crank up.........................then grab a favorite drink! part down.:agree: :shh:

20. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

I am relatively new here but Mr. Arnold Grove, you Sir are a gentleman and a scholar on all things Fab and I have appreciated your sense of humor which we sometimes forget in our excitement about the music itself, the recording process or in getting the best sound reproduction in our own homes!

I have always said that my pursuit of The JSD Postulate is a happy or positive thing, we of like mind are trying to turn people on to early Solo Paul and not at the expense of any other artist or music. Enjoying even more music is a good thing!

I must say that Simon Leng's book changed my view 180 degrees on Hari's Dark Horse and Extra Texture! Macca Postulites seek for fans to blow the dust off WWL and RRS! We are making inroads!

21. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I agree and clearly the "Archive Collection" is about "re-evaluation" for the likes of us and "discovery" for others!

22. Arnold Grove

Thanks.

And long live the Archive series!

23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Interesting if "Flaming Pie" is next. Copious bonus material would be the main draw there; I recall the '97 CD sounds just fine from a mastering perspective.

What I hope they *don't* do if it is "Flaming Pie" next is to add all of those "Oobu Joobu" mini-show b-sides, because those would fill most of the bonus disc, and the main "songs" within each mini-show were older tracks unrelated to "Flaming Pie."

He might have to come up with a lot of bonus material for FP, as indeed we only have the two album-related b-sides. There were a few slight alternate mixes of album tracks on advance/sampler copies, but they probably wouldn't be included anyway.

Would be curious to know if there's anything else from any of the Jeff Lynne sessions from that album (and hopefully not more "Really Love You" style jams).

24. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Arnie can I hit "ignore" on this forum anytime "Bip Bop" comes up? Just like when I press "skip" when it comes up on the "Pure" box?

Mr. Explorer and Arnold Grove like this.
  25. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

Hear hear! And may the rest come sooner rather than later!

I still have not navigated and explored every nook and cranny of the WOA Box! I have to get my wheelbarrow out just to move that thing around the house!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.