Paul McCartney Archive Collection Poll: What's Next???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wingsfan2012, Jun 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Senior Member

With a Little Luck isn't London Town. London Town is London Town. Ebony and Ivory and Take it Away are not Tug of War. Tug of War is Tug of War.

Artists don't make singles, they make albums. Record companies make singles, and they make them hits with payoffs to radio stations coupled with the resulting power of suggestion. Fans make albums hits.

Every album between Band on the Run and Broad Street, excepting McCartney II, was roughly equally commercially successful. London Town was, thus, not a breaking point between McCartney being a successful recording artist and McCartney no longer being one as was claimed.

Does anyone actually read what's written for content or just to pick at imaginary points that weren't made?

2. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I picked RRS, but any of the remaining 70's albums will be welcomed. Any news that the series is continuing would be welcomed!

TimM and JLPMacca like this.
  3. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Wow...really? So artists don't make singles? So artists don't write songs with the objective of writing a hit single? And you see no correlation between the success of an album and the songs on the album.
    So the success of an album is not that of the record company, but the artist. So in your world...record companies don't promote albums?

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I don't care really if they would just pick up the pace. One every quarter would be McGreat.

5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Don't be pedantic. I wasn't saying that they have no interest in the single. I'm saying that it's not 1965 any more and no one sits down and says "let's write a pool" any more. Or almost no one. Probably exactly no one. They write a bunch of songs and then mostly the record company decides what the single is and pays off a bunch of people to get it on the radio and in Spotify playlists. "Generally," if you need that qualifier to make everything right in your world.
    Well, as you pointed out, the singles from London Town and Tug of War did not share equal success while the data shows that the albums did share equal success. So you tell me. Sgt. Pepper had no singles and, still, amazingly, didn't bomb out.
    The album is the presentation of the artist. The single is the decision of the suits of how to best promote the album. Generally. Again, if you're going to be pedantic and pick nits, everyone is involved in everything. But the general thrust is this.

Besides, how does this have anything to do with refuting any point I was making?

6. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Wrapping it up in 2021 would be great.

Highly unlikely, but we can dream. :)

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  7. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I wasn't trying to refute anything...just making an observation. I don't think the single is the decision of the suits. I think the non-album single blows that theory out of the water. I personally think McCartney wrote and strove for hit singles. It was his validation.

8. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

How would you then explain the Mull of Kintyre single?

9. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

That song defies ALL explanation, and if studied too hard would probably just disappear altogether!! :agree:

10. AppleCorp3

Fair enough! I still really like it...

sunking101 and daveidmarx like this.
  11. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

.... pardon me, Mr. McCartney... if I'd known you'd be reading here I'd have chosen my words much more carefully!!! Saw you at Citi Field in '10!

Frank likes this.
  12. daveidmarx

I love it as well. As a kid, I hated it, but one gets more sentimental as one ages, so now I love it. :)

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

You got me. All the non-album singles that have been lighting up the charts and defining careers for the past 40 years have completely blown me out of the water here.

Blown
    Out
    of
    the
    Water

[​IMG]

14. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I voted Red Rose Speedway with my heart. Knowing there are a good 15 bonus songs recorded in the studio. Some unreleased to this day. Like the 72 studio version of Soily. Also Tragedy, Night Out, Jazz Street, The Mess & many more.

This is a no brainer. As far as the extra songs recorded live 1882, Best Friend, that's tragic, that they didin't get 1882 down in the studio. But maybe they could do an outfake mix on that one. This album is an even bigger treasure trove than the recent Flowers in the dirt.

Finished polished versions of the Mess & 1882 replacing weak tracks like the crappy power cut-hands of love medley & Indian on the moon, would've raised the long term stock & appreciation for Red Rose Speedway. Now if you add in Live & Let Die & I lie around & maybe Hi Hi Hi on disc one, dropping Indian on Moon, the medley,, now you rival or surpass BOTR .. then put everything else on disc two. .

Red Rose needed about 2-3 more good songs, & it needed say two more rock songs... Poor editing damaged this album like few I've ever seen.

PhilBiker and JLPMacca like this.
  15. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

If they did do Red Rose Speedway (and Wild Life) next, we would probably be disappointed on the lack of bonus tracks, but I would love if they did them as books just like McCartney I & II. Still crossing my fingers :)

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. daveidmarx

You just can't leave any album alone, can you? Personally, I love the ending medley and feel Loup has its place on the record. In short, I don't think your suggestions are very good and while I would love to see an Archive release, I love the album just the way it is and wouldn't want to see it tinkered with, least of all with "outfake" versions as you suggest. Now BONUS tracks on discs two and (hopefully) three would be another story...

17. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

It won't be "Red Rose Speedway" because that is my favorite. That one will probably be the last one ever right after "Liverpool Sound Collage"
    Honestly I think the next move will be to release 2 smaller size at once. Since we had 3 1980's albums in a row I think it'll be "London Town" & "Back To The Egg"

PhilBiker and AppleCorp3 like this.
  18. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I'll admit I would remove "One More Kiss" and replace it with any of the songs mentioned, but otherwise I wouldn't touch it. I also don't think there is enough quality material to turn it into a 2 disc set. That would have been a bad mistake.
    I would like "Red Rose Speedway" to be next, but I don't expect it. If I was really honest I would admit that at this point I would love him to release an archive type set collecting all his B sides and worthy unreleased songs and be done with it. That is really all I care about in any of these sets.

19. AppleCorp3

Seriously - who would have thought after all these years that we still wouldn't have Waterspout?

PaperbackBroadstreet and TimM like this.
  20. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

21. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I voted London Town. Partly a selfish reason really, as it was the first Paul McCartney related album I bought at 14 years old. Then I got his albums as they came out for a few years and then got the back catalogue, including the Beatles albums when I started work. Still love London Town to this day and its a desert island disc for me.

sunking101 likes this.
  22. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

When is the "Red Rose Speedway" archives release coming?

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[​IMG] ;)

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I choose Red Rose Speedway ( Wild Life would be my second choice). Of the series so far particularly the super deluxe editions my favourite is Ram - loads of music.

Ken.e. likes this.
  25. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Why not? Could you give me some context?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.