Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

For the most part, an excellent post, as usual, but why should these, or any archival release be THE definitive word for an album or artist? How can the Macca camp re-release the albums in the future if they include everything now? If all the relevant outtakes, demos, etc are included in this series how can they (presumably) release a Rarities Box in the future? What would be the selling point of issuing such a release if most, or all of the material was previously released? One thing we know for sure, re-issuing catalogue albums is a constant occurrence. And the selling point is including unreleased material, remixes and the like. Few archival releases are the end word, especially re-releasing old(er) albums... as opposed to some sort of collection or box. Look at what Rhino has done with the Monkees the last 20 years or so. It was surely conceivable that their latest Definitive Sets could have been assembled back in the 90's/early 2000's when they were first issued. That didn't happen. Labels/artists almost always hold on to material for the future. The only thing that will change this mind set is the complete end of the CD era. And guess what? Some future device, whatever that may be... will continue the idea of holding back SOME material for future releases. I hope I'm wrong, but I see this business practice being in place for the long term. Ron

She is anyway and theMess like this.
  2. Drewzel

Drewzel Forum Resident

It appears these releases do not meet with "your" expectations...I'm happy to say they meet with mine. ;)

Mazzy likes this.
  3. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I thought I saw something that said it was remastered but I can't remember whether that was one of the now-deleted Amazon listings, Wogew's blog or something else. I suspect that it will be remastered if, for no other reason, than the fact that McCartney was pretty critical of the 1993 masterings in earlier Archive Collection intros (didn't he mutter something about there being too much noise reduction?). And I can't believe he'd go back to the original 1980's mastering.

theMess likes this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

:tiphat:

theMess and Calico like this.
  5. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident

Yes, I think I am going to have to accept that :) But because we've largely been stuck in the 1970s, this is the first time it's become apparent that Macca is happy to ignore something as significant as a 12" remix. I know some people think they are the work of the devil, but as a teenager in the 1980s, buying the 'twelve-inch' of a single was a hell of a lot of fun and those memories run deep. It's painful when the artist decides for you that what you loved is not worthy of being included on *his* reissue...

theMess, Eska68, daveidmarx and 3 others like this.
  6. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I guess we should be able to fairly easily tell once the CDs are out. I think it might be, as I mentioned earlier, that they didn't want to have the words "remixed" on one disc and "remastered" on the other, forcing a majority of people to just wonder what the hell the difference was between the 2 terms and for them to just assume they were paying for 2 identical discs.

7. Paul H

Agree entirely, Ron. A point I've made earlier often. That's partly why I asked the rhetorical question earlier about how many folks were actually going to leave these sets on the shelves. McCartney is a finite resource. Sure, he's made us buy these albums over and over but only by offering us something more each time. In 1993 it was better artwork, supposedly better mastering and better and more appropriate placing of bonus tracks. Now, it's the same but bigger. But, as you say, if he puts more out now, he (or his estate) will have less to put out later.

Sure that sucks because we may not all be around (or, at least, have the faculties) to enjoy the next go-round but I just don't see many artists wanting to take that risk of putting everything out and leaving nothing for later.

She is anyway and theMess like this.
  8. Drewzel

Drewzel Forum Resident

Best 12" I ever had was "Everything Must Change" by Paul Young....awesome version...but (with hindsight) some were truly awful.

englandmademe likes this.
  9. Paul H

I have much sympathy with this sentiment. I think it was you who cruelly asked earlier who'd be up for a deluxe of Press To Play without the remixes and I deliberately ignored that question :) Truth is, though, that I couldn't care less about the Say Say Say remixes because I think Benitez just slathered them with his trademark percussion which offered nothing to the song and was utterly out of place. But yes, I hear where you're coming from.

theMess and englandmademe like this.
  10. Paul H

I think, possibly, that honour goes to The Mission's Deliverance 12" in my collection. Utterly epic.

Drewzel likes this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You're killing me, Smalls.

Bingo...

theMess likes this.
  12. There are a group of people who are interested in the art side of things. It's a physical and conceptual thing in a way. I collect the Beatles related Genesis books. They have sold from $200 to you $700 and more (many now resell for thousands) . Several have later been released in trade editions for $25 or so but there is a difference for those you love the art side. I get the attraction but I also understand why most don't. Limiting to $1000 pretty much guarantees they would resell for more in a few years. I myself have never resold. I guess my son can one day.

13. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Just saw the ad for the Tug Of War deluxe set...very lame. I can put together that set by myself from all of the bootlegs I have. How much are the Deluxe sets these days? I just don't get it. You mean to tell me that Macca and his team can't come up with something better than this?

Very disappointed. Haven't seen the Pipes of peace ad just yet...but if this is any indication it will probably be just as bad. Macca and MPL should hire some real "Fans" to put together some of these sets. Pathetic.

Pawnmower likes this.
  14. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

The deluxe sets are $65 each, but the super deluxe for ToW is $150

15. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Which bootleg has the 2015 remix of the entire album?

Drewzel, funkydude, OobuJoobu and 7 others like this.
  16. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Do you have access to recording info, Linda and MPL's archive, Paul's vaults, book publishing and the opportunity for an in-depth interview with Paul himself? If so, I look forward to your inevitably superior bookset.

Jayseph, Drewzel, OobuJoobu and 6 others like this.
  17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I like it! I'll be getting the Deluxe Edition. :)

18. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Is the brass arrangement heard over the phone the basis for rumors that George Martin added brass to the track? Is it possible the brass was arranged by someone else pre-Tug/Pipes?

mindgames, theMess and daveidmarx like this.
  19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt Thread Starter

The sad fact is that these will likely be the final reissues where Paul is still here to share his memories of making these albums. And, as he has a billion bucks in the bank, I'd hardly think re-selling the catalog (to a fan base who will also not live forever) would matter too much to his offspring. This was the one chance where I hoped Paul would "get it right" and give us everything. Yes, I'm happy for what we're getting, but when you know there's more to be had (and ample disc space to include it all), it does become more than a little frustrating to not get it.

Paul H, Frank, theMess and 4 others like this.
  20. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Not big proponent of remixed albums. These days I'm even a bigger NON fan of remastered albums. Problem is the engineer that is doing the remixing and remastering is not the original engineer that put the album together with Paul McCartney and George Martin. Geoff Emerick is not involved then I will pass. Again, this is my opinion. To me Tug Of War is one of Macca's masterpieces of his entire solo and Wings careers. What I heard and what I've seen as the "Deluxe" set is not new to me...other than the new remix of the album. I hope to God that they actually fixed the speed problems of the demos. Now that would be funny if they didn't.

21. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I just buy the 2-disc editions, but I was actually completely pleased with two of the releases, McCarney II and Venus and Mars, so I'm not that hard to please. Neither of those left me longing for what wasn't there. I guess I don't understand the lack of consistancy.

22. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Frankie Goes to Hollywood Relax (or Two Tribes), Macca connection = they also come from Liverpool

23. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Most configurations are up for pre-order at Amazon Canada.

24. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

Just a question. Where does the Spies Like Us single fit into the Archive Collections? Broadstreet i guess?

25. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

I don't want to wade through the 16 pages from today... Has there been an official announcement???
    Also, I think someone mentioned getting the single edit of Queenie Eye a while back. Can someone steer me in the right direction to get it too??
    Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.