Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Really?? You know I don't. The book is not going to make me spend $150 for the set. It's not even going to make me spend $65 for the lesser set. I get the collector mentality of the set. I've lived the collector mentality of having EVERYTHING that Paul has done. I have almost every promo 45/12 inch/CD single etc. I have an studio acetate for Hi Hi Hi. I have the transparency that was used in the production of the Mull Of Kintyre/Girl School sleeve, both front and back, so I understand trying to have it all. This set just doesn't do anything for me. It may do something for other collectors but there is nothing new here. Just saw the Pipes Of Peace promo and just as I suspected even less. Here's a You Tube video that was posted back in 2007 of Pipes Of Peace:

That's 8 years ago...the other stuff that's on the video part better be better than this. Again, this is just my opinion.

bocaymon likes this.
  2. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  3. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

October 2nd is the street date for the 2 sets.

Johnny Reb likes this.
  4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Spies Like Us was recorded during the Press to Play sessions.

theMess and ianbrown21 like this.
  5. I Walk Like A Panther

I Walk Like A Panther Forum Resident

Perhaps some unreleased stuff is being held over for a rarities album at the end of the line?

forthlin, theMess and Rocco like this.
  6. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

Right of course, for whatever reason I thought it was released in 84 and not in 85.

7. Getting it right is very different from the point of view of an artist and a fan.

cuddlytoy, Paul H and funkydude like this.
  8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It fits in better anyway, since in sucks like Press to Play.

9. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt Thread Starter

But the awesomeness of "Get On The Right Thing" is something we can all agree on, right?? ;)

bocaymon, Yorick, graystoke and 6 others like this.
  10. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Nowhere hopefully!

Darrin L. and Mazzy like this.
  11. Grunherz54

Grunherz54 Forum Resident

I'll spring for deluxe edition of Tug of War but that's it this time around. I'm *hoping* that Red Rose Speedway and Wild Life are next in line - I love those two albums!

She is anyway and Mazzy like this.
  12. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I would rather see London Town and Back to the Egg next.

13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

The prospect of a RRS release is frightening. I ony buy the two disc addition, but would do the deluxe edition if they include all the proposed double album material, b-sides and the James Paul McCartney TV special....now that would somethin'...
    But something tells me I would be disappointed.

14. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Either set would be great. I was disappointed he didn't round out the 70's before moving on the the eightees. The 70's albums will always be my favorites...all of them.

graystoke and Deano6 like this.
  15. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

16. Perfect response. I hate that song and own several copies. God he made some horrible records. :tiphat:

adm62 and Darrin L. like this.
  17. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It is actually unlistenable!

Rocco and adm62 like this.
  18. Agree. Been waiting forever

Grunherz54 and daveidmarx like this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Considering Kampuchea, Wings in Glasgow, and all the many videos from BTTE, I'd prefer the later albums first.

Salamanders > Little Lambs

bocaymon, Yorick, Beaneydave and 4 others like this.
  20. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Thanks for that info! It's my post you were referring to. I didnt say nobody ever heard a second of it, I said the song has never leaked (out on a bootleg for example.) But thanks for sharing what you did. Sounds cool.

21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

And it was worth it! What an obscure little gem!

theMess likes this.
  22. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Actually, all of them have (possibly) better bonus material that TOW and POP. Even London Town with a better mastered "Girl's School" and "Waterspout" would satisfy me.

23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Are you telling me that McCartney should react to a few thousand fans' wishes to include every single bit of sound on these reissues? That's not the way it works my friend. HE is the artist and HE is in charge of what he thinks suits the reissues best. By the way, these reissues are called 'Archive Collection', not 'Collector's Edition' or 'Rarities Edition'. There is a reason why it's subtitled 'Archive'.

Drewzel, Paul H, Isejingu and 2 others like this.
  24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'm in for the 2CD editions. I can live without the remastered Tug Of War. I have a feeling that it is going to be very similar to previous editions anyway. I've only bought 2 super deluxe sets so far, McCartney II and RAM, and only because they had exclusive audio.

I used to write dream tracklistings of deluxe McCartney sets. Including each and every b-side, remix, non-album track, variation, etc. And I've indeed built them now! They fit my needs and wants, But I have to disagree slightly, only because I'd love at the very least all songs in a digital master. And yet, I still have to rely on vinyl rips for some tracks. Hopefully Say Say Say instrumental will get a download, and I'd be satisfied for that track. But what about the Ode To A Koala Bear Australian version? It's not a big gripe, but at the same time, I'd really like pop and crackle free version.

The outtakes are a bit more disappointing in some sense, only because we are still left mystified as to what remains in the vault.

And finally, no one seems to be commenting on the Take It Away video documentary. Perhaps it will include some of the jamming done on set by Paul, Ringo, George Martin, Eric Stewart, and others. I think it is promising!

25. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Hmmm I just pulled out the Spies Like Us 12" and listened to it the other day...!

Frank, Apollo C. Vermouth and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.