Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I would think AIR. I don't think any of it was recorded at Abbey Road. Though that doesn't mean that it could not have been mastered there.t

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

As I mentioned upthread, the fine folks at Concord put a whole bunch of emails on their mediakits...

theMess and slane like this.
  3. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I am sure all of you hope Wild Prairie is next.

Calico and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  4. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I certainly wouldn't mind!

daveidmarx and She is anyway like this.
  5. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

If it was (which of course it won't be), then I'd take the positive that the Archive Series must be in good health and there's many more releases still to come!

Jerry Horne, Sean Murdock and supermd like this.
  6. revolution_vanderbilt

They'd probably miss the Seaside Woman/B-Side To Seaside mixes though, just to spite even the most optimistic and apologetic fan.

Btw, I can very easily come up with a potential bonus disc idea for such a release, but I think it's too soon to be considering such matters!

7. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

It makes the most sense to have Give My Regards... next, together with a dvd/blu-ray. A sort of Wings Over America archive-entry.

8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Go for it...you have me intrigued.

9. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

Yes, this is great and should have been on the Anthology. All the official Cilla Black singles by Paul suffer from [his] overblown production - she thought so too.

Has this appeared on any official cd?

10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I think it will be, either paired with Press To Play or something more commercially successful.

11. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Actually, it looks as if it may have been included on "Cilla Black: 1963-1973- The Abbey Road Decade".
    Yes..the studio version's "overblown production" absolutely destroys the song, which is why I found this so endearing.

Joost van Gijzen likes this.
  12. revolution_vanderbilt

Here's what I think would make a good Wide Prairie bonus

1. Seaside Woman 12 inch mix
    2. B-side to Seaside 12 inch mix
    3. The White Coated Man (Animal Magnetism version)
    4. Wide Prairie (full length 11:30 version)
    5. Love's Full Glory (mid 80's version)
    6. Peacocks
    7. I Am Your Singer (from Scotland farm film, also sang Hey Diddle and Bip Bop which was on Wingspan)
    8. Seaside Woman piano demo (err... maybe not)
    9. Indeed I Do duet with Paul
    10. Dear Hearts And Gentle People (third reggae track produced by Lee Scratch Perry, considered for release on a scrapped 1991 Linda album)

Bonus download: Cook Of The House live from Glasgow :laugh:

Calico, daveidmarx, Tord and 8 others like this.
  13. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

There's a "White Coated Man" Oobu Joobu version as well that's different from the Animal Magnetism and Wide Prairie versions. Stretching it a little would be the "Poison Ivy" instrumental knock off that appeared in the MPL film Appaloosa along with the orchestral versions of "Appaloosa".

Tord, theMess, susyredstripe and 2 others like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yeah, like Band On The Run again... ;)

15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

That's cool...does the 12 inch mix of Seaside Woman actually exist...if so...how long is it?
    Interesting inclusion of Peacocks. I never attributed it solely to Linda, but I can see it...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  16. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Or it could be case of him and/or MPL just wanting to mix it up after spending 2 years promoting the Wings reissues (WOA, V&M, ATSOS). They've been quite clear about not wanting to follow any specific chronology with this program. I'm certain Paul will reissue Red Rose Speedway at some point - it was his first #1 album with Wings that also delivered their first single #1 'My Love'. He also recorded one of his best solo hits 'Live & Let Die' during that period.

I also think Paul wants to have George Martin around for these 'War & Peace' reissues. Afterall, they were a labor of love for both of them and it once again established their successful partnership at the top of the charts. GM turns 90 early next year and so its a nice gesture to share this experience with him. Lets hope we get to hear a lot from GM in the upcoming deluxe books.

Looking back, who knows where the partnership would've gone had Paul connected to George Martin 10 years earlier to help produce Red Rose Speedway? Wings could've used a GM-like producer in those days and their partnership on Live & Let Die certainly worked well. One of those interesting "what if" scenarios from Pepperland.....

theMess and AndyNicks like this.
  17. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Amazon now has all of these as "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

I assume this is temporary, but if anyone wants to panic that they've been canceled, go ahead.

18. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Can we just reflect on the bizarre fact that you can't just go and buy this CD and haven't been able to for 5 years? You can't go buy a CD with My Love on it. Red Rose is out of print, All The Best is out of print, and Wingspan is out of print.

Or With a Little Luck for that matter.

You can stream or buy the MP3s, though.

theMess, ccbarr and Rocco like this.
  19. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Yes, it is very strange that they haven't put out a new hits CD or reissued an old one.

theMess, Shak Cohen and Rocco like this.
  20. Doesn't surprise me at all. CD's are going the way of the dodo.

21. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

So I've been hearing for years. Yet, they haven't.

funkydude, Jerry Horne and supermd like this.
  22. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Before Wings called it a day there was some talk about GM producing the next Wings LP. It may have even been discussed in Club Sandwich. I'll have to look.

theMess, ccbarr and Rocco like this.
  23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Wishful thinking :cheers:

24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It's pathetic. No greatest hits package, representative of his work and legacy. These are big sellers and help keep the music alive...but then George doesn't really have one either. I never could figure out the point of that "Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison" compilation.

ccbarr and Rocco like this.
  25. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Yes, I believe it started that way, but GM quickly told Paul he should do a solo with specific musicians for each song. That explains why Denny Laine is on Tug of War...he lasted longer as he had been Paul's main collaborator (with Linda) prior to the album for nine years. But, I think he was told in short order he also wouldn't be needed any longer. Or, he just realized it - and left.

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.