Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's 2015. That isn't bizarre to me at all. You can get any of those titles used for a couple bucks, there really isn't a need to press more copies at this point. *shrug*

2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Maybe in the long term, but the notion that there's a market in 2015 for both 2-CD and 3-CD/1-DVD reissues of Pipes of Peace but not for a McCartney hits CD is implausible.

3. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Not to mention the "near-hits", great album cuts, and singles that should be represented in a comp -- physical or digital. It almost seems that MPL can really only do one thing at a time. Out There tour over (for now), so War and Peace now are the priority.

Skywheel likes this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

If they sold the deluxe sets with digital downloads in place of the CDs, I would buy those. My CDs go unused.

Paul H, crossroads69 and mindgames like this.
  5. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I said that about vinyl in the late 80s.

Sean and jeatleboe like this.
  6. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I take the download cards (or whatever they are) from various new packages and discard them (well, okay, I leave them in the packaging for completeness but will never use them).

Physical Media Forever!

JDeanB, Skywheel, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  7. rppvaldez

rppvaldez Forum Resident

According to Luca in "Recording Sessions (1969-2013)", Denny criticized the lyrics of "Somebody Who Cares", a big argument followed and that was it. He doesn't give his source though and I find it a bit odd that Denny would do that, especially since these lyrics aren't Paul's worst...The spin Denny later put on the split was that Paul was no longer interested in touring, which indeed seemed to be the case.

gibtti and Rocco like this.
  8. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident

I can vouch for this. I asked the UK PR team last year why the existing surround mixes of Venus and Mars and Band on the Run were not made use of in the reissues. Still waiting for an answer...

9. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Agreed, "Wingspan" really helped me get into McCartney's music, seems like I played it for a month non stop when I first bought it. I was shocked to see what it goes for now, even used. I'm glad I picked up the version that has the cover image that moves as you turn the case in your hand. If anyone here grew up in the 90s and collected baseball cards you will know what mean, 2 images in one that changes as you move it. Picked it up when Sam Goody was closing for 10 bucks.

I don't really get Let It Roll myself, if "I Don't Want To Do It" wasn't on the disc I wouldn't have picked it up. Too heavy on ATMP material, as great as it is, and I don't know why there is 3 cuts from TCFB, and they are all Beatle songs. I would have put "This Song", "Crackerbox Palace" and "Faster" on in place of those three songs, but that's just me.

Carlox, Rocco and supermd like this.
  10. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

LOL :-popcorn:

well I'm sure "Armoire Grove" will soon have it all sorted out..... :wtf:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  11. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

This. Nicely ordered according to your own preferences, in the mastering (pre-limited or limited) you desire, in the case of the demos on these particular releases properly speed corrected and stereo aligned by hand. No restrictions to just whatever they forced you to listen to on a dying format.

Ignoring the fact the world of psychedelic media crumbled since the 00's is just deluding yourself. It's the digital age, and that's more than fine.

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Amazon is objecting to the lyrical use of a "koala-type bear". They feel it is politically incorrect, and they need to temporarily hold off on selling any more copies until some Australian taxonomists can hand down a final decision... ;)

13. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Meanwhile, vinyl was "dying and dead" around the late '80s and into the '90s, and yet it never really went and is currently enjoying a resurgence among younger people. Not everyone is content doing the download thing.

Same thing for DVD's and Blu-rays ... hard to keep my wallet full with everything new that's coming on the horizon that I want to own. :)

Rocco likes this.
  14. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I do not dispute that physical media (and maybe even psychedelic media) are on their way out. But it seems premature to say that CD sales have already fallen to the point that there is no market for a McCartney hits CD.

Van Morrison, Linda Ronstadt, and James Taylor — all artists whose commercial peaks roughly coincide with Paul's — have new 2-CD compilations coming out within the next few weeks. Ringo released a new hits CD last year despite already having one that's still in print! And yet somehow there isn't any market at all for a McCartney CD? It doesn't make any sense.

15. They haven't COMPLETELY gone they way of the dodo, but they continue to go the way of the dodo. Each year, they sell less and less and less. Young people, especially, do not buy CD's anymore. Have you seen the CD section of Best Buy lately? Oh wait, there isn't one. ;)

[​IMG]

RAJ717 likes this.
  16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Right - instead, they're all sold online. Of course, it's all about ordering online these days. I don't think it's a matter of the downsizing in the stores indicating a lack of demand; the powers that be decide on how to sell them. But human beings always love physically shopping and browsing. But I believe stores too, will come back strong one day.

17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

No need for the chart -- I am aware of this, and have balked at it too at other message boards for the last 5 years, if not more.
    As I always say to them: just let me know when the day arrives that I cannot possibly obtain an album or a movie I like on a form of commercially released, physical media.

18. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

See, this kind of talk... It's merely a blip on the radar. "Strongest vinyl sales year since 1994": still only 75,000 copies US-wide for the best selling vinyl record of 2014, the number 5 on the list already only 1/3rd of that. It came from a very low point, so of course you're going to have a higher peak now. That's the headline. But in the grand scheme of things it's nothing more than a cute story: vinyl has 3.6% of the total market share in the US (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/05/vinyl-sales-2014_n_6419064.html). Which means 9,2 million vinyl copies over 2014. (http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.c...w-a-phenomenon-on-both-sides-of-the-atlantic/) And over 164 billion songs streamed on demand in 2014. (http://www.billboard.com/articles/b...undscan-year-end-streaming-taylor-swift-vinyl) 140,8 million CD's in total were being sold in 2014 (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-album-sales-in-nielsens-2014-report-20150108), 651 million units 10 years ago alone, let alone in the golden era. (I see someone beat me to this by the figures above.)

No, physical media media won't ever completely die down. I said that the industry crumbled, because of the endless of new digital options, and it will continue in doing so. Not seeing so is deluding yourself. But hey, they said the same about vinyl, and that's still keeping the industry up and running, right?

On the subject of these deluxe editions: of course you want to have the actual audio physical as well in these mega deluxe boxsets, I would be silly if it wouldn't be like that. But the fact that they offer digital options in all shapes and forms shows that the team behind it exactly knows where it's at. (Unlike the video part, where another dead medium, the DVD, still isn't replaced with Blu-Rays or 1080p video streaming. But that's a whole different discussion.)

19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

LOL as we await the pressing of more copies of two archive albums.

Finger on the pulse there man. Right on the pulse.

20. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I realize that as well (I mean the general niche, give or take what the precise numbers may be). Vinyl will NEVER be supreme -- NEVER. However, it has returned, and it has been growing, even though it will remain relatively tiny. Doesn't matter much though, because like-minded enthusiasts can enjoy their hobby together amongst themselves, and still get the music they want.

And so, forecasting some kind of "end" is kind of moot. What's the point in crying "The Sky Is Falling!" for physical media, if there's a concession that it will always be around somehow?

They sure know where it's at, all right -- which is why each Macca Archive is also available on Vinyl.

Got a ton of new releases coming to DVD and/or Blu -- the LOST IN SPACE series is gonna be expensive! But yes, this part is veering too far off.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  21. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

You think they will actually spend the money to convert Broad St to bluray? I doubt it. They didn't even release Good a Evening NyY in bluray and that was filmed in HD. I would rather them do that before Broad St. I actually want all the videos in these box sets to be bluray and not DVD

ringorilla and theMess like this.
  22. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Hell, Fox didn't even make a decent DVD for Broad Street back when it was more viable to do so.

23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I think it was a bit more involved than "Paul was no longer interested in touring". Lennon had just been gunned down, so it was a bit paranoid and wanted to lay low.

theMess, daveidmarx and Rocco like this.
  24. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Another link to purchase the super deluxe edition of "Tug Of War", this time for $137 plus shipping:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCO-90369

This one is described by the store (cdjapan) as "3SHM-CD+DVD". Could it be a real Japanese version of the super deluxe set?

theMess likes this.
  25. JimC

JimC Senior Member

To your last point, the live tracks allowed the compilers to segue crowd noise over the end of a rare track such as "I Don't Want to Do It." or was it the beginning? Jerk move on their part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.