Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Get the facts straight: ... inspired by a lovers spliff with Linda. Spliff, not tiff. ... ;)

JDeanB, theMess, Eska68 and 2 others like this.
  2. Maybe the tiff was over an uneven split of the spliff, with one of the hogging it too much (most likely while watching hogs out the window). Now try to quickly repeat several times: "The tiff was over the slit of the spliff", preferably to the next stranger you encounter.

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I agree. It was almost there! I wonder, in some alternate universe, how this album would feel if they used the solo Paul version on the album and also nixed "What's That You're Doing," leaving both Wonder contributions strictly to a single. It's a slightly different album, and one we can easily re-create.

Johnny Reb and theMess like this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I just gave this a listen. The main riff played on the keyboard in this video (starting at 0:27) gives me a beautiful sense of childlike wonder and happiness, paired with a bittersweet sadness. I don't know why. This is a special version to me.

5. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Makes me think, had it been a more minimal solo number and not released as a single we'd probably be here discussing it as one of Paul's most under-rated ballads.

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Very interesting. Wow. Good point.

Johnny Reb and theMess like this.
  7. Frank

Frank Senior Member

LOL sure - if it weren't for the unknown other singer, the input of untested producer George Martin, and the rest of the words, it would have been an underrated classic!

There are a ton of McCartney mega-hits you couldn't get away from on the radio that I don't despise. Obscurity wouldn't have helped lift this plopper out of the bowl.

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

No need to imagine. McCartney sings it as a duet with an average white person on Tripping the Live Fantastic.

Alternate universe Steve Hoffman board thread: "What was Paul thinking leaving the Stevie Wonder duets off of Tug of War?"

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

:righton:

theMess and supermd like this.
  10. Thrillington

Yep, this was exactly the reply I expected. Still, each to their own. I still think it's a good melody beneath the sugar-coating.

anthontherun, JimC, theMess and 2 others like this.
  11. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

I totally agree. It also made me realize that the weak points of the song are the lyrically-weak and melodically-weak verses. The chorus is quite beautiful and moving especially when stripped of the over-production.

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Fixed that for ya. :righton:

13. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Keep in mind that he probably knew Ebony and Ivory would be a smash hit, especially having Stevie on it. He might have thought it would help sales of the album, which I have no doubt it did.

But I agree that some of the outtakes have a certain charm that's missing from the final version of the song.

14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I really appreciate the lower key style of Paul's demo also and although I don't care for the song as officially released at all, I can see an alternate universe where I might have liked the song. :D
    My problem is with the song's chorus. The song starts out as nice ballad but then the annoying cha-cha chorus kicks in and ruins whatever chance the song had for me.

15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Absolutley love it, a great catchy song with a timeless message to boot!

McCartney's bass playing is top notch as well, just wish it was recorded more up front and louder.

16. Ha! I liked it better than both! ;) Have always had an affinity for that song and don't understand the haters.

JimC and theMess like this.
  17. I'll take that and raise you this:

Of course, I think the song is totally incredible.

18. You're making me feel OLD! Stop it! ;)

theMess likes this.
  19. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb RĂ©sident du forum

Today I heard "Say Say Say" on the radio in a store. Coincidence??

theMess likes this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ok - Ebony and Ivory is a song many people seems to hate. Guess it all started back in the eighties when it was named one of the worst songs ever

I never really understood the negativity over that particular song. It got a true classic melody, it s very well performed and was a megahit. Yeah the words of course- of course a bit on the schmaltzy side but imo no more so than more heralded message-songs like -dare I say Imagine
    Paul and Stevie made a fine performance of this classic a few years back in their "White house" gig
    Ebony and Ivory certanrly ain t my favouritr Macca song but ut surely ain t the worst either
    I rather like it myself

21. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

If you like 1982, you'd have loved being around in 1973, when pop/rock radio still played lots of Beatles tracks religiously and had hit songs/albums from all four solo ex-Beatles. Your hourly radio airplay list at the time looked something like this:

Beatles song
    somebody's hit
    somebody's hit
    George Harrison track
    somebody's hit
    somebody's hit
    somebody's hit
    Paul McCartney track
    somebody's hit
    Ringo Starr track
    somebody's hit
    somebody's hit
    Beatles song
    somebody's hit
    John Lennon track

(Yes, even with commercials and chatter, you could fit 15 or so of those three-minute hits into an hour-long segment. Ah, them's was the days.)

22. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

My recollection is that in 1981 the radio was filled with Lennon tunes. Nice but also very sad. In 1982, everyone knew there'd be no more Beatles songs so it was a relief that Paul's album was so good and not a turd. Anything he put out probably would've received a lot of exposure. I'm just glad it was an album I really liked.

supermd and theMess like this.
  23. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Together alive, bro!

theMess likes this.
  24. beatle_giancarlo

beatle_giancarlo Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Johnny Reb likes this.
  25. Thrillington

I wonder what this week's free track will be. Must be due soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.