Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Arnie, I am disappointed in you; it is not like you to be vain by blowing your own pipe. :D

Johnny Reb and Arnold Grove like this.
  2. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I love that gatefold cover and the photo itself I find cool.

Johnny Reb, JimC and Arnold Grove like this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I believe it was George Carlin who suggested that if he could blow his own pipe, he'd never leave his house. Or something like that.

4. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Both albums been in our local charity store for months for £2.99. Are they really worth a reissue?

5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Seeing as they are both hit albums with many fans wanting to hear them with a remastered/remixed sound, and seeing as all of the previous reissues have led to mainly positive re-evaluations and good sales, then I think that they answer is yes, they are worth a reissue.

I can find countless classic albums in my local charity shop; does that mean that none of them should ever be reissued?

Billy Budapest and supermd like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, I personally rate the cover art for Pipes Of Peace higher than the music on the album... :hide:

7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I feel like George Martin stifled the more experimental and fun side of Paul. I do like TOW and POP very much, but P2P has a certain something that was missing from Paul's albums for a while. Clearly Paul still had it in him.

Though I will say that even with Wings, Paul seemed to be turning bland. The 1980 rehearsals, where he runs through many TOW/POP songs, hardly indicates the beginnings of an album on the same level as Back To The Egg

8. Arnold Grove

I heard something very similar to that said by Ike Turner.

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That bad, huh? ;)

10. Arnold Grove

I do like parts of it in isolation. BUT as a whole, the Pipes Of Peace album definitely is not one of my favorites.

11. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

So Arnie, when you are in enforced lockup, isolated from the other "problem people", you can discern some positive McCartney magic peeking through despite the medicated haze they force upon you?
    That's GREAT ! :p ;)

theMess, Johnny Reb and Arnold Grove like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

I'm with you on this Arnie, but on the bright side, out of Paul's entire solo output, the only two albums I think are dogs are Pipes and Broad Street.

freddiebell likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

I had a feeling someone here was going to pick up on how the words "in isolation" were used. Thanks, Glenn, for being the observant one.

But if you see a couple of yaks outside your door, just know that they will count to ten before they charge. They believe in fair play.... ;)

14. Glenn Christense

Thanks Arnie, but I think it's a pretty cheap shot on your part calling Ben and mrjinks a couple of yaks. :p

Or, it's an insult to yaks everywhere being compared to Ben and mrjinks. I can't decide which is more insulting. :D

theMess, Johnny Reb and Arnold Grove like this.
  15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I have to agree...and not only that, but Paul and Michael's voices blend together more smoothly than Paul and Stevie's. And this is coming from a guy thay is a HUGE Stevie Wonder fan, but hates Michael Jackson.

16. Glenn Christense

Yes, but if you are talking about "Say Say Say", it's a fully produced pop confection but "What's That You're Doing" is more of a loose jam thing that ended up an album track, probably not too dissimilar to the "songs" Paul released with Steve Miller, IMO.

I'm not disagreeing with you by the way. I think Paul and Michael sound better together also. Stevie Wonder, God Bless him is ..Stevie Wonder. His voice really cuts through in a unique way,but his vocal style doesn't blend as well in a collaboration IMO.

I don't really "like" either collaboration but I think Paul's work with Michael is pretty smooth on "Say Say Say" and "This Girl Is Mine". I can live without ever hearing "The Man" again though. :D

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    hoover537 likes this.
  17. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Rumor is that they're going to remix The Girl Is Mine and switch up the lines so that it's Michael who winds up sounding like the biggest tool on the planet this time. Anyone heard anything?

leeroy jenkins likes this.
  18. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

The Man is sooooooooo much better than Ebony And Ivory.

RAJ717 likes this.
  19. jimcdenco

jimcdenco Forum Resident

So, tracking my Super Deluxe TOW on UPS.com from Kingsmerch, I get this message this yesterday morning:
    10/08/2015 9:51 A.M. The address label is illegible. This may delay delivery. We're attempting to update the address.

Was supposed to be delivered today, guess that ain't happening :rant:

20. Nerktwin

Nerktwin Forum Resident

Except that damn electric guitar. Fab song. HORRIBLE tone on that lead guitar.

Yorick likes this.
  21. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

The narrative booklet on the TOW Super Deluxe set is amazing. It really seems to me that McCartney really loves this album; maybe more than all of his other solo albums. The stories about Stevie Wonder in particular are amazing. Loving this set so much!

RubenH and theMess like this.
  22. Nerktwin

Nerktwin Forum Resident

Also, for those keeping score, Kingsroad delivery arrived today. Never again with them. The worst. They only replied to my emails after I blitzed them on social media and only after it had shipped. Super annoying.
    That said, man is it nice to have them. I forgot the joy of getting the deluxe sets and seeing and opening them for the first time. They delivered to my office. My assistant almost started opening the box. I ran up and grabbed the box and said, I'll take it from here! Then hid away in my office with them for a couple hours. Pretty sure he thinks I got a giant box of sex toys I didn't want him to see. But really, I just need the full unboxing experience.

23. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

I still give the Golden McRazzy Award to Driving Rain and Wild Life, not necessarily in that order, with honorable Mention to Memory Almost Full. I'd have to summon up the courage to relisten to them to make up my mind. Don't see it happening anytime soon.

And on that happy note ... let the stoning begin. Gentle rocks, please. I bruise easily.

Deano6 likes this.
  24. Yes.

25. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I'm an expert on Namco games, which is the only reason why I knew that.
    When I first saw that picture I was like "What?!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.