Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Fair enough: if you can't take a softer sound, you're not going to warm to Pipes of Peace. I wouldn't describe the production as bland (at all), but, whatever the case, it sounds like this ain't the album for you.

2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Interesting. I personally really like the majority of the album, but that is probably because I love melodic pop/light dance/soul music, including some of Michael Jackson's work.

Pipes Of Peace certainly doesn't rock much, but I love Paul's vocal performances and what I consider to be great melodies to songs like 'Through Our Love', the title song and 'So Bad'.

905, Bemagnus, supermd and 8 others like this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I did not like Pipes of peace when it first arrived-of course with the exeption of the brilliant title-track, Say, say, Say and So bad. At least in my case time has been more than kind to this album. It has such a great, lush production and that special Macca mixture of ordinary and weird. It s not Tug of war-rather the bastard cousin of that album. But as such I find it a very enjoysble, breezy pop-album. Also some dark lyrics if one listen closely.Aparently it s a favorite album of james Dean Hatfield of Manic street Preachers fame. Here is a funny interwiew he made with Paul in this matter
    Manic Street Preachers’ James Dean Bradfield interviews Sir Paul McCartney about 1983 album ‘Pipes of Peace’ »

4. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

That's exactly the same opinion I had of the album for the 25 years I knew it (I always referred to it as "Pipes Of Piss"), until the Archive Collection version came out last year. I gave it a fair chance and I really like it now!

SixOClockBoos and theMess like this.
  5. rppvaldez

rppvaldez Forum Resident

Not a bad album but it really suffered from coming out after "Tug of War" that had gotten everyone's "hopes" up, Macca doing things "seriously" at last and doing a lot of press. In comparison POP came out with little fanfare in spite of it's two big hits.

6. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I remember I definitely warmed up to Tug of War faster than Pipes of Peace. It's not a bad album, but likewise, it did suffer from being released after Paul's "masterpiece" Tug of War. Hey Hey and Tug of Peace being back to back may have lowered the quality of the album's track selection, but the other songs are great. Especially the songs recorded after the Tug album was released. So Bad is in my top ten Macca songs, and The Other Me is somewhere along the top twenty.

pantofis, supermd, theMess and 3 others like this.
  7. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Anywhere to get a hi res scan for the navy deluxe edition cover???

8. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

By the way, when Paul sings "building bridges" on Hope For The Future, he's getting in the song's bridge itself. Clever.

9. Claudio Dirani

It's not an A plus LP, but has good songs.
    And the best tracks would have worked more efficiently on the original double LP.
    The Other Me is great and I would never get rid of the dustbin lid bit.

rstamberg likes this.
  10. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

11. Rob Hughes

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yeah, the title makes it sound pretty negative, but it was actually fairly balanced overall.

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  13. Rob Hughes

Titles! That happens! Some of you will know this, but some of you won't: writers don't always choose the titles of their own published work -- in journalism and in books, it's very often editors (not writers) who devise (or at least revise) titles. In this case, the writers in the discussion were generally more positive than the title of the article suggests -- the title here seems to reflect the views of the least satisfied critic discussing Tug/Peace. Oh well. I can see the more positive critics grousing about that. :)

14. SixOClockBoos

To everyone who still browses this thread, has anyone noticed that the opening melody of the Simple As That demo sounds a bit like a section of Mike McGear's Have You Got Problems? They sound very familiar to me. Wondering if anyone has made the same connection between the two like I have.

15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

[​IMG]

Found this ad in an old Smash Hits from December 1983.

16. SixOClockBoos

(So good it's really another A-Side)

I thought so (in my Macca Top 5) but looks like my fellow Americans didn't think so when it only made it to #23 on the billboard.

17. Bobby Morrow

POP went to number one here. It was great, but I'd have preferred So Bad as the (official) A-side.

18. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

I prefer PTP over POP overall.

My stand out songs are; Keep Under Cover, Sweetest Little Show, Average Person, Through Our Love.

I know they're pretty similar, but I prefer the Broad Street version of So Bad.

19. SixOClockBoos

It's a shame So Bad couldn't replicate the success of its predecessor single in the US. At least a top ten charting would have been sufficient.

theMess and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

It was getting harder for him to have single hits at this point. I think he was actually doing better in the UK in this area.

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  21. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

But you're wrong. It has the most apt title of all Paul McCartney songs.

:)

Well, not really. It's not that bad. Not "Tug of Peace" bad. But probably second worst song on the album. If I were to rank the songs, it'd probably look something like this:

Keep Under Cover
    Average Person
    Through Our Love
    Pipes of Peace
    Say Say Say
    The Other Me
    The Man
    Sweetest Little Show
    Hey Hey
    So Bad
    Tug of Peace

All songs except the final two would make my playlist (which is the official Christian seal of approval!) of Paul songs.

22. Bobby Morrow

I see Paul is an early adopter of 'man spreading' in this picture. He was always the friendliest Beatle.:D

theMess likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Smash Hits ad. September 1982.

24. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm glad the two albums are what they are.
    Tug of War is a favorite, it's got a nice Sunday afternoon feeling to me. Pipes is overall disappointing, but I love Keep Under Cover and So Bad.
    And The Man has that catchy chorus and should've been a mid to late '80s sitcom theme. (I mean that as a compliment.)

25. Claudio Dirani

I never felt bad about Pipes, because I bought it before TOW when I was eleven.
    I was much more a fan of Michael Jackson's....that was the day when everything changed.
    Since the day I got POP, I've become addicted to his solo stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.