Paul McCartney: Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (Album) Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

And on Run Devil Run Paul exorcised his angst in brilliant fashion.

Linda's vocals remind me of what Tony Palmer said about Paul in that great review of the White Album (Yellow Submarine British liner notes)-----"drifting melancholy overhangs the entire proceedings like a purple veil of shadowy optimism...." Maybe pretentious but it describes her voice to me.

2. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Friends to Go

I really like this song once it gets past the sparse intro. The production on this one is great. The electric guitar and the layers of sound really help make it. It's even got backing vocals! I really can't say I hear a George vibe here though.

One thing about this song and a few others here. I'll probably get slammed for this but this was my initial impression upon first hearing this album and it was reinforced upon a recent spinning, and I think this is what keeps this album from being in my top 5 favorites. There's a few songs here (Friends to Go, Promise to you Girl, Follow Me, maybe something else) that have a 'demo' sounding quality to them when they start out. It's almost like what would have been heard when Godrich first said to Paul "What songs do you have?" and he picked up the guitar and whipped them off. I realize this may have a certain appeal, but I think it kinda goes against the grain for an album that seems to be polished. I'm not saying I don't like the songs, I do, but maybe it's a bit too much of the 'start-out-sparse-and-build-it' type approach instead of developing some interesting song beginnings. I'm probably in the minority with this but I had to get it off my chest. Just mho.

3. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Digital-G, I feel the same way, that's kind of what I mean when I say I wish that Friends To Go had a harder rock treatment.

Instead of using an acoustic guitar to start the song, to me a harder approach with an electric guitar would of given it more bite, probably the producers decision to start these songs in that manner, JMHP.

4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I think "Friends To Go" is perfect as-is. I like the way it builds up.

5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Yup, yup, yup!

6. Dr. Pepper

English Tea
    (Paul McCartney)

Would you care to sit with me
    For a cup of English tea
    Very twee, very me
    Any sunny morning

What a pleasure it would be
    Chatting so delightfully
    Nanny bakes fairy cakes
    Every Sunday morning

Miles and miles of English garden, stretching past the willow tree
    Lines of hollyhocks and roses, listen most attentively

Do you know the game croquet
    Peradventure we might play
    Very gay, hip hooray
    Any sunny morning

(solo)

Miles and miles of English garden, stretching past the willow tree
    Lines of hollyhocks and roses, listen most attentively

As a rule the church bells chime
    When it's almost supper time
    Nanny bakes fairy cakes
    On a Sunday morning

7. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

English Garden is not a favorite of mine. I wished he'd dropped it and added "I Want You To Fly" instead. I've never liked these kinds of songs from Macca (Honey Pie, etc).

somnar likes this.
  8. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I don't know if there's another McCartney song that makes me cringe as much as "English Tea" does.

somnar likes this.
  9. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

English Garden is a Ringo song off of Ringorama.:)

heatherly likes this.
  10. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I wish I could unhear English Tea.

Very twee, very me?

What the ****?

Satire, eh? Bad idea.

heatherly likes this.
  11. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

LOL, I was just listening to it! ;)

I meant English Tea though...

12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

OK Doc I'm back. Fortunately I know nothing about Loverboy, because I wouldn't have been able to respond anyway. I've been busy working for the weekend.:D

To save myself some typing I'm gonna agree with my buddy Sean's assessments of all the songs mentioned so far, because I just posted a long and winding ramble in the You Never Give Me Your Money book thread.
    Fab fans check it out.

Sean's on the money here though.

I have problems with the tail end of Chaos, but so far, so good.

I have to mention at this point that Sean has created the definitive Chaos and Creation comp IMO, and maybe if prodded he will post his lineup.:wave:

The only negative thing I have to toss in at this point is.. when I heard that Nigel Godrich was going to produce Chaos I was expecting something more on the order of Electric Arguments: Less traditional arrangements, stranger sonic textures ala his work with Radiohead, etc. Chaos wasn't as "out there" as I had hoped it would be, so I had to adjust to that.
    I'll reserve my specific comments relating to that when we get to the later songs on the album. Up till now though, I'm lovin' every minute of it.:laugh:

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Very gay, hip hooray" A lot of people defend the song, but I have no idea why.

heatherly likes this.
  14. groff

groff Forum Resident

I really love most of Paul's old-timey songs - but I make an exception for English Tea:)

And with all the great songs he has at his disposal, he chose to do this one live in 2005. Why? Why?:shake:

15. MusicFan76

MusicFan76 Forum Resident

Let me say it. People who defend this song are fanboys. This great album doesn't deserve this track. This is where one could actually think, 'Jeez, Paul really doesn't think his s*** stinks.'

Haven't heard this song since I first bought the album. Don't intend to ever hear it again.

16. Dr. Pepper

Oh, I get what you all are saying, but I really love this track. English Tea really seems to get to the heart of a side of Paul that we are often not invited to see. I think he is luckily at a point in his life, where he is more comfortable expressing himself. I think the song also has light sense of fresh air to it that enhances and contrasts well with some of the darker heavier tracks.

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

A self-parody, but it makes me cringe. I think it sounds like a Rutles track, from Dirk's dry period.

somnar likes this.
  18. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

That's awfully harsh. It's not that bad, and I don't mind hearing it at any time.

While not my favorite track on the album, I think it's kind of fun. It's Macca doing a parody of himself. Not unlike "Silly Love Songs". Wink;) wink;).

19. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

"English Tea" sounds a bit too Rutle-y too me

Drifter likes this.
  20. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

21. Sean Murdock

Oh, twist my arm, why don't ya! On second thought ... I'll post it at the end of the thread, if anyone wants to see it. That way we'll have discussed all the songs already.

As for "English Tea" ... I've always liked his vaudeville/music hall stuff, and this one to me is more like "Martha My Dear" than "Honey Pie" -- but I like BOTH of those, so I have no problem with it. Is it the greatest song on the album? Not even close. But it's harmless, and if you hear it as almost a winking self-parody (as I do), it's pretty fun. Plus, I had to look up a word in the dictionary ("peradventure"), which doesn't often happen after listening to a pop song. So, points to Macca for that.

22. Sean Murdock

"You're so pusillanimous, oh yeah..." -- another song where I had to look up a word!

P.S. - I was just quoting the song, not making an accusation... :angel:

23. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Could've fooled me!
    ;)

24. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

That's a great ****ing song!

Not as great as Martha My Dear but great (Another Day by the Rutles).

I commend Neil Innes----he did great work!

25. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

This is the song McCartney beamed into space.

No wonder Martians hate us.

heatherly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.