Paul McCartney Comments on Kanye West & Jay-Z ("Best gig he's attended") and Katy Perry

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Technocentral, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Many. But of course, you wouldn't hear of them on a music site. Why not try the movie forum here?

2. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I'm 60 and I love Katy Perry's voice. Jay-Z has a few raps I like. I personally can't stand Kanye West. Love McCartney.

3. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

Translation: "I can't explain how racism was alleged, because it wasn't".

4. 905

905 Senior Member

Over 200 posts in less than a week, all about Beatles.
    I can't wait to hear all about A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, and Let it Be.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  5. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

You're right, Maccafan - and I own and love all this stuff. I'm just having some fun! :)

6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Paul has never been "cool" but he's adventurous and open when it comes to music choices.

Fivebyfive, Jonno and Tristero like this.
  7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

saying that I'm denigrating a song and that citing how it should be liked because it promotes racial harmony is an intimation of racism

saying that I'm celebrating a man who was alleged to be a woman-beater is an intimation of misogyny

putting those together to prove Paul McCartney is "a cool guy" is embarrassing.

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Weren't you the one who raised this silly coolness question in the first place? Obviously, on a surface level, John does have the reputation for being the cool one in a lot of ways, while Paul is arguably considered more the square, but I think Buick6 is right to question some of those more superficial stereotypes and look at things from a different angle. Was John's drunken lost weekend phase cool? Was his bread baking house husband phase cool? Exactly how do we define cool and to what extent does it effect the music?

Buick6 and Driver 8 like this.
  9. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Paul loves Jay & Kanye. Good for him. :righton:

10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Except I wrote in threads about movies like the Universal Horror Classics, which had nothing to do with The Beatles. A bit silly to come into Beatles-related threads where that's the topic, and assume that's all the poster cares about in the world.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

This is the Steve Hoffman forum. The Beatles are all people care about.

12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I distinguish whimsical and light from sappy or sentimental. Most artists tend to stick to a general pattern. Dylan, Cash, Zappa, Kiss, Alice Cooper et al - no different really.

13. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Well, musically speaking, it's not hard for me to understand why. ;)

14. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Got a lot of fun catching up to do. But this should be none of your concern. I'm happy. Gee, and to think I said in another post that I liked your avatar. :sigh:

15. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

16. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Talk about seeing things that aren't there.

Love Paul. Love Music.

What bothers me most about Pauls comment is that he saw Jimi live.:shh:

Buick6 likes this.
  17. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm sorry. It's just people often discuss Paul a little too much, and I'm guilty, I'm probably in the top five Macca fanboys on the forum. I think Driving Rain is a masterpiece. But there's this "stop the presses" thing that happens when McCartney does, well, anything. And then we chew it over, and if we disapprove of what Paul says or does, then there is more mourning than on many R.I.P. threads.
    I want to stress that I apologize about directing this towards you. I will stop visiting McCartney threads for a long time, and check out the ones involving the Rolling Stones and Kinks and so on.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Bemagnus likes this.
  18. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I think it's just Paul being Paul, has ever had a bad word to say about anybody or anything.

19. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

Assuming you are not racist or misogynist, why would you assume the other poster would be assuming that's why you had different ways of defining cool? He simply explained his own viewpoint, it only intimates that you are racist or misogynist if that is the natural conclusion of the facts (which is isn't).

Buick6 likes this.
  20. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

It was probably a joke, as were a few of the answers from his Twitter thingy. Unfortunately some of the Macca lunatics are fundamentalists. They take every single word literally.

I love the guy too, but c'mon....

zebop and Tristero like this.
  21. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It's all good. :righton: I happen to be off work for awhile and have an unusual amount of time on my hands, which is why I joined and am playing "catch up". Frankly, I'm getting dizzy from being online so often ... but if it wasn't enjoyable, I wouldn't do it.

905 likes this.
  22. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

One of the things that surprised and delighted me when I first came to this forum was how highly Paul was regarded - in contrast to the attitudes I was used to from the media and general rock fans. A gratifying number here don't let notions of coolness get in the way of what's really important. So, God Bless the Hoffman Forums for that.

Paulwalrus and Driver 8 like this.
  23. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Billy1, amen brother amen!

billy1 likes this.
  24. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

I think it's the McCartney detractors who are being laughed at and wound up here.

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

"Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" is part of what makes him cool to me: not giving a **** about the "granny music" naysayers (and taking an insanely catchy surreal mini-suite of music to #1 in the U.S.A.) is cool in my book.

Buick6, Tristero and billy1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.