Paul McCartney Ed Sullivan Theatre 1992

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has this full show ever been released? I understand it was taped for that news series 'Up Close,' but they probably only used pieces. The versions here of "Fixing a Hole," "Penny Lane" and the bluegrass "Can't Buy Me Love" are stupendous. And the "Off the Ground" songs are pretty good, too. Compare this to the rote shows he's doing now ... this particular band has been slagged off a lot over time, but here they're doing a great job.

This should go on the DVD with the "Off the Ground" reissue, assuming they ever get to it.

bluesbro, Gary and musicfan37 like this.
  2. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It is a great show! Amazing this is more than 20 years old already. Ron

3. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to attend the taping...done on 12/92. The first "Up Close" for MTV...possibly the only episode. LOTS of "Off the Ground" songs...all sounding great the first time out.

4. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I still have this on a VHS tape and it is excellent! I kept it for a reason!

5. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Damn, so weird to see the Ed Sullivan Theatre with GA standing since it's now used as Letterman's studio. In 1992, this was before Letterman took it over, wasn't the theatre nearly close to being shut down because of its terrible state? Must have a been a great show to attend.

6. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

The theatre was a gutted shell, no seats on the floor but the historic balcony seats and rail intact (if they could only talk). It's previous tenant was the "Kate and Alley" show and Letterman was close to having it refurbished. Sir Paul was quite talkative in between songs and since he was not yet following a "tour script"... quite funny. Best of all, his dear Linda was up there with him...a true couple.

Allen Michael, heatherly and MRamble like this.
  7. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I remember that. Great seeing it again.

8. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Thanks for posting, this was a great show. I have a nice recording of it.:shh: I always really liked this band, and loved Robbie Macintosh's playing!

Allen Michael likes this.
  9. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

This show has made the rounds on the underground circuit and I too agree that it is worthy of a legitimate release.

10. nb2k

nb2k Forum Resident

It was cool to hear some of the new songs from the upcoming "Off The Ground" album, released a month or two later. I think that marked the first time I'd ever heard live versions of new McCartney songs before hearing the studio versions.

11. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

It was broadcast on TV over here so I taped it. Can't remember if it was the complete show though, but I loved it anyway.

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I guess this is how "Can't Buy Me Love" would have sounded if it didn't start with the chorus like the Beatles version. I like the bluegrass twist!

13. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I seem to remember a radio special that coincided with the TV broadcast, perhaps with more songs in it?

14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

They rocked the song Looking For Changes on this show!

While I don't think this is one of McCartney's best bands (Hamish Stuart is really a r&b soul artist, not truly a rocker) I do really like Robbie McCintosh.

In fact I think he's one of the best lead guitarist McCartney has ever had.

chickendinna likes this.
  15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Even if they do, it won't be as good as this. Someone will edit out the in between stuff, like the makeup girl.

jricc likes this.
  16. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

I remember watching this when it aired. Though not aired in the broadcast, I'm surprised he took Big Boys Bickering for a live spin.

17. 905

905 Senior Member

I remember seeing this advertised in TV Guide, back when TV Guide was good. :)

This show, then Paul on SNL, and the live concert in June '93 were all fun for me to see in those days before youtube.

18. emitex

emitex Forum Resident

Studio 50 has changed a lot since then...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scoostraw likes this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'm one of the (apparently) small minority who thinks Off the Ground is a good album...So I like this set list...

Carlox and Big Pasi like this.
  20. lenmac31

lenmac31 Forum Resident

I also was at this show. I am in the front and I am wearing a dan marino jersey #13.
    It was a stupendous show. My cousin who was right next to me kept nagging paul for his pic which he refused to give to him. I also have the setlist that was taped to the floor next to robbies feet.
    What a show and what memories!!!!!!

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You're not alone. I just listened to "OTG" the other day and was reminded how much I like it. Never understood the hate it gets!

foxylady likes this.
  22. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

I would say it is more of a zydeco "Can't Buy Me Love"

23. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Man I love this show

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

He's my favorite Macca guitarist...I would've loved to hear him in a McCartney band with a better drummer (namely, Abe).

25. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I remember this was broadcasted in Norway as well. It made me interested in Paul McCartney solo. The year after I bought "Off the ground" on cassette. That sentence about it being more than 20 years ago gave me the creeps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.