Paul McCartney - Egypt Station (#1 album in US) Appreciation Thread 2.0 - New and Improved

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Perfect.

2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I'd agree that RAM and ES aren't anything alike.

I disagree with the idea that RAM is an album with "nothing on its mind." I would instead characterize RAM as perhaps one the greatest "right brain" pop albums of all time. It's not linear, it doesn't rely on left-brain kind of narrative.

I am fond of saying that 1971-1973 period is when Paul just let his freak flag fly, proudly. He has confessed to feeling quite lost, abandoned, disoriented, and I think in retrospect this was a great thing (though it must have sucked for him at the time) because it triggered some really interesting stuff as he was casting about and not really capable of posturing and polishing albums in his more typical way. RAM and WL and RRS are profoundly weird albums and very home-made and personal because they are essentially right brain affairs, free associations and stream of consciousness, fleeting images, organic collages. Objectively one might criticize the latter two albums as being especially lazy, and there is some truth to that - they are not anywhere near as good as RAM as complete entities - but they still have some absolutely incredible moments ("Tomorrow" and "Get On the Right Thing" are two of my all-time favorite Paul songs). He did something similar with MC CARTNEY II during a stock-taking period post-Japan bust and the betrayal by and disintegration of his professional relationship with Denny Laine. When Paul gets thrown for a loop, it appears part of his therapy, conscious or not, is to hole up in the studio and tap the subconscious.

Some hate these kinds of Paul albums, some love 'em. I'm in the latter camp.

I find it interesting that CHAOS AND CREATION, made during the period of crumbling relationship with Heather Mills, IS actually quite "wordy" and linear, NOT a "right brain" album (though still one I dearly love). I suppose by that time, Paul had matured and was capable of processing his pain in a different way, being able to put words to emotions.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    tages, theMess, WaterLemon and 13 others like this.
  3. Enjoy this brief celebration!

theMess and beatle_giancarlo like this.
  4. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

This is the best late period McCartney album imo. Hold together better than New. Certainly better than the unfocuse Electric Arguments and production far better than Memory Almost Full. Probably a tie with Chaos.
    Possibly only Ram and BOTR are better albums than this one, thinking back across his entire Post Beatles catalogue. Kudos to Paul.

5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

You are saying that ES is also better than Tug Of War?

Mr. Explorer and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  6. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

It will take many months if not years of clear reflection before I can place ES above any of the Wings releases. The dust needs to settle before final evaluation. The record is too new and the hype still flowing. For sure it will never better McCartney, RAM, McCartney II or Band On The Run. It will probably never better Tug Of War or New either (I have a strange soft spot for New), but the others are fair game and that's got to be pretty good going at this stage of the proceedings.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Nice writing
    :)

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Love it, Doc -- your playlists are always creative and thoughtful! I was playing with something like that the other day, after about two solid weeks of listening to Egypt Station. It's a little "test" I like to conduct after living in the "new album bubble" for awhile -- put the new favorites up against the "old" favorites of the recent fast, and see how they stack up. It's a way to check myself and see if the love for the new stuff has legs, or it's just an adrenaline rush that will run out eventually. I only chose songs from 2005 and later -- Paul has such a bounty of great stuff this century that the excellent Flaming Pie wasn't needed! I had a few Electric Arguments tracks, but they didn't make the final cut, as much as I like that album. So we're sticking with the "pop" albums, no classical, no experimental -- but including possibly his greatest love song of the post-Linda era. It's 24 tracks and just under 90 minutes long -- which is my max for a playlist (90-min cassette length). I haven't "curated" this fully; the sequencing needs some tinkering and I'd like to get it to 20 tracks and under 80 minutes (CD length) -- I just haven't had time to kill my darlings yet. So here's what I've got right now:

Paul McCartney: Ever Present Present (clever, eh?)
    01. Cut Me Some Slack ("Sirvana" single)
    02. Ever Present Past (Memory Almost Full)
    03. Growing Up, Falling Down (Fine Line CD-single)
    04. Queenie Eye (NEW)
    05. Happy With You (Egypt Station)
    06. You Tell Me (Memory Almost Full)
    07. Everybody Out There (NEW)
    08. At The Mercy (Chaos & Creation)
    09. Nothing For Free (Egypt Station Target bonus track)
    10. Jenny Wren (Chaos & Creation)
    11. I Can Bet (NEW)
    12. Hunt You Down / Naked / C-Link (Egypt Station)
    13. Friends To Go (Chaos & Creation)
    14. Mister Bellamy (Memory Almost Full)
    15. Road (NEW)
    16. Despite Repeated Warnings (Egypt Station)
    17. Too Much Rain (Chaos & Creation) (a bit of an inside joke for me -- the climate change song followed by too much rain?)
    18. Do It Now (Egypt Station)
    19. A Certain Softness (Chaos & Creation) (kicking off the "silly love song" section)
    20. Hand In Hand (Egypt Station)
    21. My Valentine (Johnny Mandel arrangement)
    22. Dominoes (Egypt Station)
    23. In The Blink Of An Eye (Ethel & Ernest soundtrack -- I almost called it "Julius & Ethel" -- wow, THAT would have been WAY off!)
    24. The End Of The End (Memory Almost Full)

Anyway, now that I've done this little exercise, I'm about ready to finally do my track by track review of ES!

9. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

I’d be cautious too even though I think (from the available evidence of interviews and the two bonus tracks so far) it’s possible the quality is high enough for the remaining tracks to become the basis of a new record... It certainly wouldn’t be the first time Paul inexplicably left top quality tunes off an album (Off The Ground springs to mind).

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. Sean Murdock

Yes! That's exactly the comparison I've been thinking of! "Nothing For Free" is the danceable version of "Struggle"! Love them both!

theMess, streetlegal and Mr. Explorer like this.
  11. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Just a pity it didn’t premiere the week of release.

12. Sean Murdock

Beautifully said.

theMess, angelees and Mr. Explorer like this.
  13. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Not me!

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Yep, this has struck me too and I definitely am usually a ‘less is more’ kind of album listener. Not this time.

15. That's a lot of men!

angelees likes this.
  16. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I am. Egypt Station moves me more emotionally. Tug of War is a great album too, though. Not a huge amount in it for me.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Ranking albums, ESPECIALLY brand new albums against older ones, is hard as hell for me to do. I think because you can be in two minds about it so easily. You can be in "eating it all up" mode and you can be in "actually thinking about it" mode.

Take Tug of War, brought up in the last page. If I look at it in "actually thinking about it mode", I could say:
    • Ebony and Ivory is good but doesn't fit the mood or work as an album closer
    • Get It and Ballroom dancing are a bit slight
    • What's That You're doing could have used some editing scissors
    • Some of the production is a bit much
    But then there's "eating it all up mode", and I can tell you with Tug Of War, there have been weeks and months of my life since junior high when I first heard it, where its been all I could listen to and I love and adore every single second of it.

So how can you say where it ranks against Band On The Run, Chaos, ES etc, when you can't even agree on how it ranks against itself when viewed in two frames of mind!?

18. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

This was probably mentioned in one of the 750 Egypt Station threads that have come and gone, but regarding Fuh You...

Does anyone know what is being sung in the super high voice during the chorus? I can't make it out.

19. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

"All for you, all for you, all-all-all for you, all for you, all-all-"

For the Record likes this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Imo it s impossible to rank a new album with albums you loved with for decades
    In all honesty I never understod the need to rank one albums before another
    What I do know with Egypt Station though is that it s a great McCartney album for me that I right now like every bit as much as my favorite albums from Paul. Also feel confident that it s not some kind of honey-moon reaction from me. Egypt Station stands proudly as a great McCartney album-a truly inspired work with a sense of creativity and brilliant songs that I did not expect at this stage
    Vintage McCartney it is
    :)

theMess, angelees, DrJ and 5 others like this.
  21. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

THANK you!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Danny s at it again

23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

People want peace -imo-is one of the few Pauls topic anthems that actually works. In fact I fint this verse to be among the greatest things Paul has ever done

Nothing in life is as sad as the lonely soul
    Searching for peace
    Only to find disappointment is waiting
    Behind every door that we open

Both the melody and words there works so well that I just can t believe it. Besides that glorious moment the whole track is a very uplifting affair. Nick Lowes/Costellos Whats so funny with peace, love and understanding is the one I would compare it to. Corny -perhaps-but it rings true to my ears
    The end chant uses a real chorus and the whole track sort of sparkle
    Now this anthem just need an audience
    Would be a great live number mixed with Give peace a chance

theMess, planckera, angelees and 6 others like this.
  24. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Lovely post. Having lived with this album for a week or two, coming to Paul's solo stuff relatively recently, I really do think ES is one for the ages. I think we know it.

One for the ages.

theMess, angelees, Monasmee and 6 others like this.
  25. Cal Cypher

Cal Cypher Forum Resident

I agree. Ranking music is a bit pointless. It's pop art, not the olympics. Only question valid for me is "do I enjoy listening to it and does it resonate on an emotional and/or intellectual level?" Comparing it to classics like Ram and Tug of War that have been a part of my life for decades now is simply unfair.
    I'm still listening to ES daily and every time expect the honeymoon to end. Surely this album can't be that good? It's me being swept up in the hype. Any day now and I'll realize how middle of the road ES really is. And so on.
    Hasn't happened yet. It's one of the albums of the year to these ears and I can't really see me ever growing tired of songs like Dominoes or DRW. Vintage McCartney it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.