Paul McCartney - Egypt Station appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks. Is there one official source for chart positions in Germany?

Mr. Explorer and Bemagnus like this.
  2. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Sadly it looks like Paul couldn't beat Eminem here in the UK, but still very pleased to see him score #2, after reaching #3 with NEW last time. Maybe his next album will keep up the pattern and reach #1?

Official Charts on Twitter

3. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

I am listening to Hope Downs now.

Thank you!! (Alice is on deck)

scotti likes this.
  4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

You need to install the app...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Oh, I'll have to have another listen, then....After 30 seconds hearing Macca working hard to get the notes I thought I'd try another tune/album...

6. Seems that videos isn’t available only in certain country... as usual not in Italy...
    #2 will be a great position!!!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Yeah when I first heard Nothing for free I expected a general mayhem here. Actually I think that one is much more contemporary than Fuh you. The grea F- song is clockfull of Beatles references-strings-harpchichord and even the vocals comes straight from the Beatles or early McCartney playbook.
    I personally believe that there were other things that bothered many about Fuh you
    Many seems to have warmed a bit towards it now though

Mr. Explorer and JDeanB like this.
  8. Which app?

9. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I ordered it, inquired about my order status and received the same email reply yesterday. I guess we'll have to be patient and hope we receive or copies soon. They said it should be in stock within 3-14 days and I'll receive an email when it's in and when it ships.

Mr. Explorer and Wiserforthetime like this.
  10. RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68 Forum Resident

Number 3 in the UK but the best selling in physical format. Over 50% of Eminem's sales come from streaming.

Looks like The Greatest Showman soundtrack is probably ahead at number 2.

#7 Ireland, #2 Belgium, #1 Germany, #4 Sweden, #12 New Zealand.

The Band, Tord, theMess and 1 other person like this.

11. The tone, tempo and attitude of Nothing For Free works well with the production, which is fitting for the swagger and dance vibe. Extremely well done.

Fuh You, on the other hand is a sweet, love pop confection which suffers from about 25% of the production - mostly the “jack hammer “ sounds that obscure the essence of the song.
    My immediate impression was reinforced by the excellent live rendition of this fine pop song last week.

YMMV

angelees and Bemagnus like this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Agree-His performance on I gotta feeling is close to sensational. Guess Paul still can deliver on a good night.

13. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

The Elastic Macca Band??? :righton:

theMess and Paperback Writer like this.
  14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Got this in the mail. I completely forgot I was promised a CD when I went to see a show back in September. For a second I thought there was a mistake.

15. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

This gets into "What's in a name" territory -- if the album had been released as McCartney III or Paul McCartney Electric Arguments, would it be any different?

Did Youth contribute more than whoever the two producers are on this Egypt Station album?
    Was George Martin actually a member of a band with Paul?

I think it's just a Paul McCartney album.

Edit: I don’t mean to downplay Youth’s contributions as a producer. I just don’t think it is a band.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  16. foxylady

foxylady Forum Resident

17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Very interesting and lenghty article in NBC concerning Pauls vast influence when it comes to making different sorts of meddleys. By the end of the article Hunt you down/Naked/C-link is both mentioned and highly praised
    No-one here should miss this one out-I wish more writers would indulge in this kind of serious analysis of Pauls music and the influence it has had on others
    Enjoy
    Opinion | Why Travis Scott, Billy Joel and the Beastie Boys all owe a debt to Paul McCartney

18. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Entry at #4 in France

19. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

The more I hear ‘Nothing For Free’, the more I think there should be a dance mix. Yoko is a bit older than Paul, and if she can have #1 dance hits with remixes, why shouldn’t he? Big dance hits don’t translate into big sales unless there is corresponding radio play. But it would still be fun.
    Remember Paul hit the Top Ten on the dance chart with “Ou Est Le Soliel”.

20. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident

I got a banned 5 years ago for being a critic of his vocals and upset too many american fans.Unfortunately i tried to rejoin a few months back but was not allowed despite my apology....seems very petty after all these years..Not sure it is the best place for objective debate.

gibtti, theMess, scoostraw and 2 others like this.
  21. janmaccazwan

janmaccazwan Forum Resident

New
    Entry at #2 in The Netherlands! His best since Tug of War 1982.

Tord, SixOClockBoos, angelees and 7 others like this.
  22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Here is a very positive rewiew from New Zeeland I think
    Notable for it s unashamedely love of Fuh you described in this priceless way

None more so than the atrociously titled Fuh You, McCartney's giddily rapturous, stadium shaking ode to going out and hooking up.

Can you describe a song by a 76-year-old man as a pop banger? Well, fuh it, I'm doing it.

Fuh You is a goddamn pop banger that's more infectious than an unprotected night of wild abandon between the sheets with someone you just met. Randy old Macca clearly no longer satisfied with merely wanting to hold your hand.

Ticket to Ride? The verdict on Paul McCartney's new album Egypt Station

23. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

If you want to watch videos on your PC you need to install the Spotify app.

24. Even the legendary Grateful Dead , famous for improvisional jams, got into the act in 1971 with their medley of Not Fade Away/Going Down the Road Feeling Bad.
    They went on to cover several Beatle songs in their live set.

theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  25. JAMES A KELEMAN

JAMES A KELEMAN Forum Resident

Does anyone know how to play and watch all of them in order? I'm always in shuffle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.