Paul McCartney - Egypt Station US Chart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beaneydave, Sep 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Hasn't been mentioned here yet surprisingly, but Paul's album has completely dropped from Billboard 200.

Meanwhile, Paul's former collaborator Elvis Costello is at #46 and Beatles 1 is at #154 and Abbey Road is at #184
    John Lennon's Imagine, which was considered a "re-entry" also fell off the charts from a one week return to the charts at #83

FKA002 likes this.
  2. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

'The record company have done everything they possibly could to promote this album.' Really!? My experience is that the record company made a complete dog's breakfast of marketing this album. They advertised product which never materialized, failed to fill orders which were placed months before the release date, and bumped the prices up into the stratosphere. I just cancelled my pre-order with the official Universal on-line store after being told that the coloured vinyl version I ordered was 'not available' and that the alternative vinyl version which they offered me as a 'substitute' would not be shipped until at least December. I mean, how bad can marketing get!

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  3. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Does he teleport to gigs?

All artists are doing it, the hip hop group Brockhampton got to no1 a few weeks after Paul by including an album code with the shirts they were selling at gigs.

Considering his age and just how much of a niche rock is right now Paul's 500k sales worlwide is excellent.

I imagine record companies have trimmed the fat so there is far less wasteful spending when it comes to making albums. Record labels are probably counting on legacy acts to (eventually) recoup the money through streaming. Egypt Station has had around 40 million streams on Spotify and Youtube, that's 200k right there. Add in other streaming platforms and that is easily a quarter of a million. Now it may take more than a year to make the same amount in streaming it made in its first two months but labels will be confident that there will always be an interest in acts the size of McCartney, Simon and Costello.

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  4. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I have no problem at all with the bundles, but I’m talking about how low they were after the first week. Not unusual just sad commentary of the times. Oh well, still one of the best albums I ever heard.

5. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Wonder at this point if ES will ever go gold in the US? I guess selling 500k worldwide is about as good as gets and in this day and age a decent achievement overall. "Egypt Station" is probably Paul's only US #1 that won't earn gold record status.

Might take a lot of concert ticket/CD bundles to even come close. That said.......ES is a fine later career McCartney album that took a lot of fans by surprise and still gives us a nice "warm and fuzzy" feeling when listening to.

6. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Eventually it will, none of us might be alive to witness it but it will one day go Gold ;)

7. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Yeah.....even "The Early Beatles" on Capitol eventually did go gold during the 70's......lol!

8. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Happy to have this album, and hopefully the next release won’t take as long.

9. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

10. I'm waiting for the deluxe. Made the mistake with "New" of buying it when it came out. Then the new improved "New" showed up. I'll wait.

11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Who Cares? :agree:

Edit: I do. o_O

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

On the one hand patience can be a virtue....

On the other hand, for me, it's worth the extra $15 to have this six [?] months of enjoyment before getting the deluxe. [And as a bonus, I will have both packages to fondle...] :winkgrin:

But if that's the path that makes you happy, that's cool too. :cheers:

13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Heh. It would be interesting to know to what degree the Who Cares video contributed vs. ticket/CD bundles with the most recent round of shows. I'm assuming about 90% the latter, but don't actually know. Is there a source for stats on this?

14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You really are embarrassing yourself with posts like this one....

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No. They have kept the breakdown of actual sales as a secret. Even when the album came out and hit #1, they never revealed how many "sales" were due to the ticket/CD bundle and how many were individual sales of the CD alone. MPL and Capitol must have those numbers, but they are classified info.

bob60 likes this.
  16. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

I still really enjoy the record, even after listening to it for months.

djost, fer2, Sean Murdock and 3 others like this.
  17. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Certainly not. I'm merely commenting on the wretched experience I had trying to order a 'special' version of this album online. In the end I bought the standard version of the album at my local record store. I should have done that in the first place.

18. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

"Egypt Station" moved up to #34 on Billboard 200. Additionally, "Sgt. Pepper" is at 181, Beatles "1" at 163, "Abbey Road" at 117, "McCartney ll at 94, and "White Album at 68.

Top 200 Albums | Billboard 200 chart

19. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I realize I'm super late to this party, but, hey, I listened to Egypt Station yesterday! :D

Perhaps I'm getting soft in my old age, but I liked it. Not as strong as Memory Almost Full or NEW, but even things I thought were gonna suck had a certain charm. If Paul wouldn't settle for half-assed lyrics, it'd probably be very good instead of just fair to middling.

Thanks for waiting for me.

Prudence1964, jmxw and OobuJoobu like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

My favorite line of your post: "even things I thought were gonna suck had a certain charm".

;)

21. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

How did that work out for you? Did you stick to your guns and then go for the Explorer's Edition (or maybe even the Traveller's Edition!)?

22. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Hey I still have not heard the 2 bonus tracks!

23. paulmccartneyistheman

All the bonus tracks from these sessions are top notch, I really enjoy Frank Sinatra’s Party

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I didn't know Frank even invited you! Glad you enjoyed your time with him, How was Sammy Davis Jr. doing?

25. paulmccartneyistheman

He was awesome, having a brief romance with some show girls under the desert sky...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.