Paul McCartney FLAMING PIE 20 years later

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I was in college when this came out. Got it the week (if not the day of release).

Top tier stuff.

I am hoping for a physical reissue of everything (including the oobu joobu stuff and the World Tonight documentary).

jammincrowe and SixOClockBoos like this.
  2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The songs that didn't grab me were, Beautiful Night and The World Tonight. I've listened many times, I just don't like them. They're the two I skip.

3. readr

readr Forum Resident

Definitely deserving of “classic” status.

danielbravo likes this.
  4. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

glad someone else likes it. i know it's not great art, but they sound like they're having fun, and it's infectious.

maccafan, Tord and jammincrowe like this.
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It's the great art of some rockin Texas blues, and it is indeed infectious! As I said, imagine it live with Rusty and Brian just jamming on the guitars!

6. I think it's a better album than Tug of War and Flowers in the Dirt. I could do without the jams they both weigh down an almost perfect album.

Lonecat, danielbravo and Carlox like this.
  7. Syd Avett

Syd Avett Forum Resident

I love Flaming Pie and its best songs are as good as Paul gets. Of course, there are some clunkers as previously mentioned.

Some random thoughts:

1. The documentary Paul McCartney: In the World Tonight is wonderful and absolutely essential in fully enjoying this album. Some of the videos with Linda participating will break even a cynic's heart;
    2. Steve Miller's presence is anti-climatic;
    3. Paul's liner notes for one of the clunkers, "Heaven on A Sunday," are obnoxious and actually really funny knowing what we know now about his son, James McCartney's, musical career or lack of one:

"Paul’s son, 19 year old James makes his first guitar appearance on disc. Paul said, 'I played the acoustic stuff and left the Young Turk to play the hot electric stuff.' When proud Dad suggested formal lesson, James’s response 'Well, you didn’t, Dad.” echoed down the decades rom 1950’s Liverpool. Like father, like son. Or, as Paul puts it, 'The saga continues…'"

The "Young Turk," James?! LMAO! "Hot electric stuff," where?! "The saga continues," no it didn't!! It would get worse, Paul would co-write songs with James on Driving Rain!
    4. Ringo's presence on "Beautiful Night" is awesome; "Really Love You" is not awesome with some of Paul(and Ringo's) worst lyrics!
    5. The official video for "The World Tonight" produced by daughter Mary McCartney and her first husband is God-awful, the twirling umbrella with Paul wearing dorky swimwear and his face covered in white lotion, and absolutely ruins an otherwise great song! They absolutely destroy it. The video in the aforementioned In The World Tonight is so much better. In 1997 I had a 21 year old secretary who did not know The Beatles and certainly not Paul McCartney. She loved "The World Tonight" from the radio but the moment she saw Mary McCartney's video, she was turned off it and Paul forever! I laughed and told her I was a long-time fan and I felt the same! Mary McCartney's video production is only matched in horridness by her interview skills as we saw in Wingspan!

8. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I've been following Paul since the Ed Sullivan
    And while I have owned "Flaming Pie" since it's
    release no way in hell you can convince it is in the same
    orbit as these.
    [​IMG]

Frank likes this.
  9. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

"I go back so far/I'm in front of me..."

That's one of my favorite lines. "The World Tonight" is probably the last Paul McCartney song I really liked.

ccbarr likes this.
  10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Please pretend. It makes all of us older men feel better to think aging has no effect.

Rojo likes this.
  11. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

This could have been the third Anthology single if Harrison sat in though it could have been released on the single itself in their names.

jammincrowe likes this.
  12. groff

groff Forum Resident

Heaven on a Sunday is a clunker?! I think it's gorgeous! I love it and am amazed that someone who loves the album would feel that way. It's very Paul and very of a piece with the rest of the album. That one's a head-scratcher for me:sigh:

long gone john, Tord, Carlox and 2 others like this.
  13. groff

groff Forum Resident

I forgot to add Flaming Pie is my favorite album of all time by anybody.:love:

14. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

1.) Agreed.
    2.) Somewhat agree. Steve Miller is ok. It doesn’t absolutely break the deal with me hearing the “dad band jamming “.
    3.) Somewhat agree. James does some good guitar work here. Heaven On A Sunday is fine. The line “season of the culture bat” on the driving rain song isn’t good (I forgot James co wrote on driving rain, in fact I own thriving pain but have blocked a lot of the record out).
    4.) Disagree. I feel both are fine. Beautiful Night is well done. Really Love You is great throwaway fun (outdoes the Steve Miller collaborations).
    5.) Totally Agreed.

15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

For me, it was his best album since Tug Of War, though everything since Chaos to the present has been even better.

Top 5 McCartney in the past 30 years
    1. New
    2. Chaos
    3. Memory Almost Full
    3. Run Devil Run
    4. Flaming Pie
    5. Flowers In The Dirt

Love Kisses On The Bottom as well!

Ryan Lux likes this.
  16. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

What are the other songs from the sessions that didn't make the album?

- Looking for You
    - Broomstick

Any others? We each have songs "clunkers" we don't care for on the album, I'm just wondering if there are any potential replacements. Preferably from the same era.

17. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Broomstick and Looking For You were the only songs to come out of the Flaming Pie sessions that were not on the album. Whole Life with Dave Stewart also dates back to 1995. The rest of the B-sides were just selections from Oobu Joobu which date back to the 80's.

Other songs from around the same time include "(Sweet Home) Country Girl", "Soul Boy" and an untitled song, all with Steve Miller, an untitled song with Ringo and Jeff Lynne and a song known as "Cello In The Ruins" recorded with Jeff Lynne and almost released on a charity album. Don't know if I'm missing any others.

rswitzer likes this.
  18. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Not unlike Paul to throw himself into work during difficult times. As when Lennon died and even his own father. If memory serves, his father passed during the Wings Over America tour and he went out and played the gig (in Houston I think) after hearing the news.

19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Obnoxious notes by Paul praising his son James' work on Flaming Pie? A father proud of his collaboration with his son and trying to set him up for success? Daughter Mary's video "God-awful" and her interview skills "matched in horridness?" Sorry Paul's kids' efforts don't meet with your approval, but I thought this thread was about the musical merits of Flaming Pie.

20. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

20 years...it´s not posible...!!!!!..:cry:

But an excellent Album....

Crimson Witch likes this.
  21. It still stands up as a great McCartney album. In fact, it's the only McCartney album post-Tug of War that I still play regularly.

22. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

One of my favourites. Some movingly uplifting songs given how difficult life must have been. It's hard not to reflect on how troubled his life became in the aftermath of losing such a strong partnership far too soon. Hopefully he's in a much better place now.

23. bward

bward Senior Member

I still think Somedays is one of Paul McCartneys best songs.
    I know the song was possibly written before Linda became ill but, to me, it sounds like Paul dealing with some deep fears here.
    I think it's possible The Songs We Were Singing was written as something to be finished with George Harrison for Anthology, or maybe another project. To me, the song is missing a section. I think Paul went into the Threetles sessions, intending to do something more substantial with George, only to leave them disappointed. I suspect this song was an artifact of that. Just a theory. Still, I love the song as is.
    For me, the two jam tracks are the only let down. But, I Really Love You on Twin Freaks is pretty amazing.
    I'm ok with the liner notes for Heaven on Sunday. I don't think they are obnoxious at all. I suspect (another theory) Paul was giving his son a lift.
    It could be that Geoff Baker wrote those notes.
    Great latter day McCartney album.

905 and Perian like this.
  24. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Somedays and The Song We Were Singing are my absolute favorites here.

25. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Just beat me to it...........:righton:

bward likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.