PAUL McCARTNEY MICHAEL JACKSON Say Say Say, The Man, The Girl Is Mine PICTORIAL!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by waldo, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Yeah, his vitiligo is very evident here.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And here.

[​IMG]

His eldest son has it too.

[​IMG]

2. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

Nice pics.. Nice to see Michael looking normal and happy.. What the hell happened to him later

3. waldo

waldo Forum Resident Thread Starter

new. anyone ever had a private tour of this farm near Rye?

[​IMG]

JDeanB, Carlox, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  4. waldo

5. waldo

we could add quite a few new pictures to this thread that i started.. but i wont..

i think this is the best of the deluxe bunch though.

[​IMG]

Carlox, 905, andrewskyDE and 2 others like this.
  6. waldo

first. and last.

[​IMG]

JDeanB, Haristar, Carlox and 3 others like this.
  7. waldo

[​IMG]

JDeanB, Carlox, 905 and 3 others like this.
  8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks for posting. Do you know when and where this was taken?

JDeanB likes this.
  9. waldo

My guess is sometime in late 1991. it's on the set of the Black Or White video.

905, andrewskyDE and theMess like this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks. I wonder why Paul and Linda were visiting? Did his relationship with Michael improve at that time?

11. waldo

No idea. when i first saw this picture i thought it was a photoshopped fake.. but it has been confirmed real by the photographer i believe. i heard that he gave permission for it to be used in a MJ fan magazine.

JDeanB likes this.
  12. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Ah, one of many fascinating items in Paul's memorabilia collection. Will he ever open a museum? Love to go through his stuff.

edenofflowers likes this.
  13. helter

helter Forum Resident

Nice thread
    Thanks!

14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I came across a good rip of John 'Jellybean' Benitez's original 12" mix of "Say Say Say" - it's been suggested by some critics like Robert Christgau that this is a better mix than the better known album version. It's never been issued on CD AFAIK, and I gave this a closer listen as it seemed to come from a pristine copy of the 12" - after a quick comparison to the album version, it was pretty easy to zero in on the differences, and it sounds like Jellybean's remix is very similar to many of his less radical Madonna remixes, with the key element being those bongo overdubs. Not bad, but it's so familiar that it's a little formulaic.

15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am still interested in why this visit happened; did Michael invite them?

905 likes this.
  16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Looking back at those photos, I feel like MJ could have had a real good long-term friendship in Paul had business not gotten in the way.

waldo, JDeanB, Benno123 and 1 other person like this.
  17. helter

helter Forum Resident

I wonder how much money Paul made from the album Thriller?
    Since it was the biggest selling album in history at the time just that 1 collaboration( The Girl is Mine) must have been a big payday?
    Anyone have an idea how that would be calculated ?

18. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Well, presuming this is not a troll, McCartney did not write or co-write the song, so his contribution is pretty minimal: half a vocal spot. I wouldn't be surprised if they divied up the songs: MJ could own and profit from The Girl is Mine (and dictate its issues as a single or as a compilation track); Paul could do the same for Say Say Say and The Man (both of which he did co-write). That's just a guess; but if it's correct, then the answer to the question about Paul's profits from Thriller may be "pretty minimal" and "possibly less than he made from Off the Wall", where he has a songwriting credit for Girlfriend.

There are also complicated issues around whether the MJ collabs helped or hurt McCartney's career in a larger sense. Say Say Say was a huge, huge single, one of the biggest of the 80s. That helped! But there's sometimes a sense that the MJ collabs, even if individually successful, taken altogether, damaged McCartney's credibility as an artist in the eyes of the broader public. Maybe that's so, though I think artists of McCartney's generation and profile were facing some serious cultural headwinds anyway as the 80s swung into gear -- if it hadn't been the Jackson thing, likely it would have been something else that the public would choose to reject about McCartney at that point in his career. But who knows, really.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    JDeanB and Benno123 like this.
  19. 905

905 Senior Member

I have to admit, The Man is one of my favorite songs even though I picture Michael and Paul starring in a mid 80s ABC television sitcom together with opening credits playing during it.

TGIF :righton:

20. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

And now, when we see these pictures, we ask, "who's this guy singing with Paul McCartney?".

maxheadroom likes this.
  21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more; it is a fantastic pure pop song and should have been a single IMO. I have always enjoyed the Santana-esque guitar and the incredibly catchy chorus. It should have been a single, and I am sure that it would have been a hit.

As for the sitcom; I would watch it! :D:laugh:

22. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

ABC all the way, it just screams that videotape look of Perfect Strangers, Growing Pains, Family Matters, etc mid-1980s ABC network ....

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  23. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Paul and Michael look like they are having a good time together and the seem to enjoy each other's company. I like "The Girl Is Mine" and "Say Say Say" and never understood the criticism of these two songs.

Scott

waldo, Benno123, JDeanB and 1 other person like this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I love all three of their collaborative songs and feel that it is a shame that they didn't write together again.

JDeanB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.