Paul McCartney named richest man in pop music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

From NME.com

BABY YOU'RE A RICH MAN!

New father PAUL McCARTNEY has been named as the richest man in pop in the SUNDAY TIMES 'RICH LIST'.

The former Beatle's annual earnings now exceed £40 million, partly due to a successful world tour which finished in Liverpool in June.

The list, which includes rock legends such as Sting, Phil Collins, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart and The Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, also made room for some new faces. 'Pop Idol''s Simon Cowell annual earnings rocketed to over £30 million.

Robbie Williams , whose annual earnings of £26 million secured him third place, was the only male under 50 to make the list.

Madonna topped the female list.

£40 million equals aproximately:
    $68 million U.S.
    $89 million Canadian
    $96 million Australian
    SwF 91 million Swiss Francs
    €114 million Deutsche Marks
    $194 million Argentina pesos

This isn't good news for those of us who'd like to see the Beatles catalogue properly remastered. Paul doesn't need the money. He won't be easily motivated. :rolleyes:

But Sir Paul, Mick and Keith are on this list and their catalogue was redone recently. :D

NME caption under the McCartney photo, "Macca - No wonder he looks so smug".

Attached Files:

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Shocker.

3. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Apparently he has supplanted "The Thin White Duke' who climbed to the top via securitizing his future royalty earnings.
    BTW that quote from Buckley is a classic. That man couldn't find his ass if you gave him a mirror and an anatomy textbook! - IMHO.

4. floyd

floyd Senior Member

one could look at it that way or one could say, since he has all this money he dose not have to appeal to the masses with no noised tweaked mondern sounding remasters.

unfortunately its probably not the case

5. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

wow... amazing... and deservedly so...

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm happy it's Paul...He deserves it:)
    Can you imagine the feeling?

7. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Where's Bowie ? He was at the top of that list in recent years if I remember correctly...always considered financially shrewd.

8. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

I wonder how much money us folks on this forum have collectively contributed to his fortune?

9. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

MORE power to Sir Paul.
    IMHO, Sir Paul truly deserves it. :thumbsup:

10. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Paul's certainly got a boost from me over the years! I've lost count of how many times and in how many formats (LP, picture disc, Japanese CD, 25th Anniversary Edition CD, SH remastered gold CD, DTS CD) i've bought of "Band On The Run". :sigh:

11. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

That's just solo stuff. Add the money spent on Beatle product!

12. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Good point, hoover, but in my case when it came to The Beatles, i only ever accumulated one set of vinyl LPs and then one set of CDs. Well, i did buy some 45s, but with The Beatles, i haven't been on this treadmill of getting remastered or nth anniversary rereleases. I'm starting to get a bit cranky about that. Guess i could just stop buying 'em, huh? :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.