Paul McCartney Ram Mono vs Stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meddle, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That is terrific! Gotta find this!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. Gary910

Gary910 Master Record Listener

It is on the Deluxe Archive Re-Issue.

3. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I went with Mono because it has that fantastic depth and punch. It blows me away on how good it sounds over the Stereo version.

DrBeatle, Ben Adams and botley like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bas ically i prefer the mono.
    But the stereo is ear candy.

5. botley

botley Forum Resident

The mono mix makes it sound more Beatley... kind of resembles what Abbey Road would be like if it were done on the Sgt. Pepper's all-tube setup. Having the mono properly mastered on CD is one of many reasons I happily purchased the deluxe RAM box set.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    Raving Russell likes this.
  6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It is released on CD. Thing is you have to purchse the deluxeedition to get it

dav-here likes this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ram is one of my alltime favourite popalbums since the day of release. All these years listening to it in Stereo world make me say I prefer it that way. However - after gettin the deluxeedition Where the monoversion is include Im not sure. Some tracks defitively benefits from the monobox.Monkberry moon delighy is one. I like them both. Guess if I had to chose one it would be the stereomix. Not really because it s better but it s the way Im used to hear over 40 plus years

DrBeatle likes this.
  8. JeffR714

JeffR714 Well-Known Member

I like both but the mono Ram edges the stereo out as far as I'm concerned I really love good mono records.

9. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Ram has always been a favorite of mine...I was 11 when "Uncle Albert" was all over the radio.
    Just received my Mono copy today, and I'm really impressed. I'll have to live with it for awhile before I vote.
    Anyone know if this 2012 Mono release was mastered from analog?

10. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

I LOVE this album and chose the mono (vinyl of course) as a favorite, but I listen to both equally. The mono is superb, as is the stereo.

11. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Found a mono LP in a local music shop. Listened to it once and loved it. Will be able to make a more informed opinion upon a few more listens.

12. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

Each amazing, collect them all!

13. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

And the inner sleeve sucks too...left some nice marks on the lp when removed. Headed for mofi rice inner sleeve...

Other than that the mono mix sounds very nice. Good mix overall, especially bass.

14. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Love the mono but I'm just used to hearing Ram in stereo, so I went with that.

Preferred sources:

Stereo - original UK -1/-1 first press, DCC gold CD

Mono - 2011 vinyl reissue

DLant likes this.
  15. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

:agree:

dav-here likes this.
  16. bigal00769

bigal00769 Forum Resident

I vote mono. I have the 2011 mono vinyl reissue and it sounds great. The white sleeve with the little card that has the track listing is lame though. From what I recall at the time of the release they did the sleeve that way to replicate the original the way it was delivered to the radio stations back in the day. Coffee stains and all! Think I'm gonna get my cables out and make it a all mono Wednesday. Cheers!

Raving Russell likes this.
  17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I got the recent special Mono release and played it, but couldn't decipher any standout differences from what I've always been used to. So, STEREO.

18. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Been going to my Mono Vinly LP reissue for the past few years of this album hoping to find something I may have missed, finally went to my original Apple Stereo pressing from 71 on this. After a long time away from the stereo LP, I have to say, stereo is the way to go for this. If there is a pressing to go for this in the USA, skip the remasters and find a clean Apple version for under $5.

19. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

20. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Mono is much drier, and I hear different elements more prominently, so for someone pretty familiar with the stereo it's nice for close listening. Either one would do if I had it on in the background.

21. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Got to go with mono. Just seems to be better balanced and has more power behind it. (Listen to DEAR BOY).

22. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I love the power of the Mono version but the Stereo version is more spacious and atmospheric, so I'm going with that.

the sands likes this.
  23. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I play the stereo release most...but mono is a nice alternative fac--eh version.

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm about to buy this book very soon. Was happy already when I got the deluxe edition of Paul's first album.

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Dont see the point of mono in the 70's. I chose stereo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.