Paul McCartney - The Official "Memory Almost Full" Album Thread (part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Yeah, you said it all. The thing is that they DO know that. If you check out one of his answers, he mentions Booker T. and The MG's to explain how did he think of the song's arrangements sounded like. So he was making a sort of reference himself! It's unavoidable! But I liked that I could provoke some reactions on his answers, so the interview didn't end up to be that mild.

Answering your question, an article is going to be published on a very important Brazilian magazine over here. Of course, now many fanzines around the world will also publish it as I have been asked for. One of them it's our own Wogew's Norwegian Beatles fanzine. He kindly asked me for that and I couldn't refuse. I liked it.

2. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

It was long thought to come from '95 but it was actually one of the first things recorded at Paul's new studio The Mill in 1984/85.

3. Claudio Dirani

Interesting that.
    I had pointed it out as being a 1995's track because it had been published on Madinger/Easter great book.
    Again, it's nice to have an information like that checked.
    thanks

4. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

There's a lot more corrected info that's come to light with the recent archiving of Macca's work. Once I work through my current hard drive problems, I'll start updating the site again.

5. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

His voice alone is a giveaway. The tone and timbre of his voice is almost exactly the same as it was on Press To Play and Flowers In The Dirt. I thought Madinger also put it in the late 80s at some point. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

6. Claudio Dirani

I like this demo very much. Sounds very poignant.
    It's listed on page 383 as a demo used on Oobu Joobu in 1995.
    By reading the index, it's the only page that cites the song.
    Speaking on Oobu Joobu, I was watching One Hand Clapping and Paul ad-libs the Oobu Joobu words during the performance of C Moon!

7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I love the Oobu Joobu song itself , such as it is. Catchy.
    I wish he had finished it into a complete song...

8. Claudio Dirani

I guess you remember that we were speculating about Dance Tonight being a sort of kid's tune. It seems that it's more or less like that, as Paul explains on his press release for the single release.
    Also, it seems that a CD single will be out according to Key Mail Order.
    As a collector, it's great to have both CD with bonus and the CD single.
    Otherwise we'd get a missing brick in the collector's wall ;)
    Claudio

Dance Tonight
    The new single out Monday June 18th 2007
    Taken from the album, Memory Almost Full

This was the last track I recorded for the album. I was on my way into a meeting in London and I always like to drop off before I actually get into the meeting, have a bit of a walk and experience life for a minute. Anyway there’s a guitar shop that I always drop in on the way down the street and I went in and was chatting to the guy in there and he mentioned that he had a left-handed mandolin that he wanted to show me. So I ended up getting it anyway and I found the great thing about it was that I didn’t know how to play it, because it’s tuned like a violin so I had no idea what the chords were. This was good because it took me back to when I was a teenager being presented with an instrument you didn’t know how to play. So I had to figure it out for myself.

I found one chord, then another one, then a real strange chord, very simple shape, but an odd chord, I still don’t know what it is but it sounded great. This was over Christmas 2006. With this little instrument at home over the holiday I started doing this little thing, stomping in the kitchen, just enjoying myself, trying to find chords, and then I start singing ‘Everybody gonna dance tonight’ got that little thing going, and every time my little girl would come running in and start dancing, so I fell in love with this song and with the mandolin and the whole hoe-down aspect and eventually it kind of wrote itself, I just stuck a few more words in it and thought I’m just gonna keep it simple: ‘everybody’s gonna dance around, everybody’s gonna stomp their feet, everybody’s gonna feel the beat’ and not try and get too deep. I liked it so much I thought I’ve got to record this so I ran in quickly and did it and stuck it on the album. It seemed like a good atmospheric opening. . A couple of weeks ago we made the video, which was great fun. It’s directed by Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind) and stars Natalie Portman and Mackenzie Crook. We had a good time doing it.

‘Dance Tonight’ is the opening track to my new album, Memory Almost Full.

9. Claudio Dirani

Yeah, it'd be fun. But based on the demo, it seems it was meant to be one of Paul's crazy ditties :)

10. Glenn Christense

Yes , when his radio show used to start up and the Oobu Joobu theme would kick in , my wife would go crazy with it's repetitiveness , but like I said before...I like it :)

11. I did the same when the "Let It Be" single came out. I'm obviously not a little girl any more...

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I agree. Starbuck's probably will have a much higher price than the "big box" retailers will. The question is: will there be any "exclusive content" options at Circuit City, Target, Best Buy or whatever??? I kinda hope so, but I also hope it doesn't get out of hand to where us die-hard fans will need to purchase multiple copies. The i-tunes "exclusive" acoustic version of "Dance Tonight" (for non-North Americans) already worries me a little bit...

Best example I've seen of this type of competing exclusives was for the most recent John Mellencamp cd. It's a bit off topic, but check out the variety of options that were available and pity any Mellencamp die-hards that you know (no, I'm not one of 'em)...

Best Buy
    Package includes second bonus CD including acoustic versions
    of "Ghost Towns Along The Highway," "Someday," "Rural Route" and a
    rough mix of "The Americans."

Wal-Mart and Walmart.com
    Special Two-Pack edition that features the CD and a DVD for one low
    price. DVD includes performances from MTV Unplugged of "Love and
    Happiness" and "Jackie Brown", performances from VH1 Storytellers of
    "Eden Is Burning" and "Pink Houses" along with the video for "Our
    Country."

Walmart.com
    If purchased online, a free download of the country version of "The
    Americans" is included.

Circuit City
    Inside the CD is a slip with a code for a free digital download of a
    rough mix of "Someday."

iTunes
    Bundled with download purchase of the full record is the video
    for "Our Country" and rough mixes of "Ghost Towns Along The Highway"
    and "Forgiveness."

Target
    Tour Edition: Inside the CD package is a digital code that will
    allow access for you to purchase up to four pre-sale tickets for
    John's upcoming tour.

Independent Music Stores
    Freedom's Road bookmark given at time of purchase.

Mellencamp.com
    Special bundled discount on the purchase of the CD and "Our Country"
    T-Shirt.

13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Now, I would pay good money for that pre-sale ticket package on a McCartney CD!:eek:

14. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

From a marketing stand point, that is a brilliant idea! :edthumbs:

15. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

The main Oobu Joobu theme was recorded in '73 so it doesn't surprise me Paul was ad-libbing the words. I'll have to check it out though as I've never caught it in the CMoon performance.

16. Claudio Dirani

Check it out on the solo bit...he's ad-libbing singing oh-oo-oh-oh oobu-joobu etc

17. Claudio Dirani

Overall, a great review but some comparisons are a bit odd!

18. Glenn Christense

Ok , Sean, Claudio and the rest of you that have heard MAF extensively already:

Let's pretend we are still back in the Beatles era and you are building the next Beatles album. Because John gets parity,George gets a song or two and even Ringo gets one vocal..which six songs (only) of Pauls from MAF go on the album, and why ?:)

19. Claudio Dirani

That's a good tease.

I'd put Only Mama Knows, Mr. Bellamy, Ever Present Past, That Was Me, House Of Wax, and End Of The End.

20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, hopefully you were signed up to the mailing list at paulmccartney.com prior to his 05 tour, because pre-sale passwords were sent out early then. I wound up pretty much dead-center of row 7 in Portland. :cool:

This proved to be fortuitous, because during a "quieter" moment during the show, I got to yell out something to Paul which he responded to at the mike! Of course, then the Portland show was one of the few to never circulate from the tour, so I can't relive the moment.:realmad:

21. Glenn Christense

Ha! I'm holding out for June 5th , so I posted this to get an idea which six songs people absolutely can't live without.

22. Claudio Dirani

I see. Another contenders for me would be You Tell Me and Feet In The Clouds. Actually, the whole medley is something you can't live without.

23. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Yeah, those were the days. I put the tape recorder real close to the speaker and waited until it was played. I finally got it. The next song they played was "Hey Jude" which was new to me then, so I've always associated the two songs with each other. I listened to the two songs for at least three weeks before I got the album. Man, I was 11 then.

24. Glenn Christense

Only SIX Claudio !:)

25. Claudio Dirani

OK, keep my first choices!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.