Paul McCartney Tug of War - Best non-vinyl version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bruce in Philly, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce in Philly

Bruce in Philly Active Member Thread Starter

There is another thread here but the last post was in 2006.... and there are new versions such as downloadable files and the 2015 expanded CD version.

In short: I own the 2015 expanded, 2 CD Version.... and it SUCKS - It is so bright and compressed... I can't listen to it. Produced by George Martin et al.... this version was "remixed" and supervised by Sir Paul... OMG... someone did something to this mess prior to release.

Anyone point to a version that is not so painful to listen to?

I have a high quality CD playback system with a PS Audio Directstream DAC... this DAC is definitely not bright. And a PrimaLuna HP Integrated all-tube amp... not bright.

BTW - here is a link to an interview with Steve Hoffman and Ted Smith, the designer of the PS Audio Directstream DAC - he praises it.

Peace
    Bruce in Philly

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have a number of different CD releases from the 80’s and I think they all sound very pleasant, very musical. You have many different opinions on which one is “best”. But any 80’s version sounds good to me.

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I picked up the Japan for U.K. CD (Parlophone CDP 7 460572) a few years ago. It sounds great. Very crankable and it totally fills the room. It’s the best digital version I’ve heard, but even this is a little bright in spots...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.