Paul McCartney "Waterfalls" 16mm Film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GV1967, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member Thread Starter

I am not sure if this the correct forum for this post. If not, please move it to the appropriate area.

Last month, while at the Beatles Festivalen in Beitostølen, Norway, I bought this interesting, 37-year old artifact. It's a Keefco 16mm film of Paul McCartney's 1980 video "Waterfalls". It was sent from EMI to whichever Norwegian television station that broadcast music videos at that time. On the back of the can, there is part of a sticker which has "Oslo 6" printed on it.

I am wondering if this thing has any value?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    longdist01 and supermd like this.
  2. GV1967

Bump.

3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The "Waterfalls" promo clip was shot on videotape, so a 16mm film transfer probably wouldn't look all that great.

I think this would have some amount of collectability, but only among a small niche of collectors. Of course, it's probably worth screening or looking at the film strips to confirm there's nothing unique on this film.

GV1967 likes this.
  4. GV1967

Very good idea. I guess EMI/Keefco made 16mm transfers for whichever market required it. At the time, obviously, a TV station in Oslo, Norway was using that format. I did spool a bit of the film out and the leader has "Paul McCartney: Waterfalls #17" imprinted on it. I wonder what the "#17" means? I went a bit further and could see the first few frames of the video which begins with the window.

Thanks for the response.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  5. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Can you post it on YouTube?

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

To reduce the potential value of what he has? Sorry, that makes no sense to me. :)

longdist01, TheVU and showtaper like this.
  7. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

This is the value the internet has brought to music and film. Don't you know everything is free??

8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

A 16mm transfer of a promo video shot on videotape, a promo video that has circulated in perfect quality among collectors for 35+ years (and has also been officially released several times by McCartney), is unlikely to have its value ruined by posting a transfer on YouTube.

If anything, assuming the 99.9999% likelihood that it's just a 16mm transfer of the standard promo video, it's less the content of the film that is valuable and more the physical item itself that would hold some level of value.

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

10. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

The sound effect of things tumbling over at the end of the video is missing. Apparently, the remaster replaces the foley track.

The video version also has a nice opening that I'm puzzled wasn't officially released. McCartney must have recorded it during the original session for the song, but it wasn't officially used for some reason.

11. GV1967

Not going to attempt to watch it. Too many things can go wrong.

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

So why own it?

13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

its not like an unreleased song or something everyone who wants to has seen it, someone might want t own the actual physical item, posting to yt would only help a sale (showing its complete and how good it looks etc)

14. GV1967

Because I can? Just as I own a ton of sealed LP's. :righton:

showtaper likes this.
  15. GV1967

What is "yt"?

From what I see, the film doesn't seem to have been used much. It seems pristine and has that leader I mentioned earlier, "Paul McCartney: Waterfalls #17"....whatever that means.

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Again, why?... never mind.

BlueGangsta likes this.
  17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

youtube. if you had a way to screen it and show what it looks like might help a sale

18. GV1967

Because that's what some collectors do. I am one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.