Paul McCartney & Wings - Rockshow laserdisc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Etron Memke, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Etron Memke

Etron Memke Member Thread Starter

I wasn't sure if this belongs her in the Music Corner or in Visual Arts - please move if needed!

Anyhoos I just picked up the Pioneer Artists Laserdisc of Rockshow at Half Price Books in St. Paul for $4.95! [looking online just now it looks as if it's going for a lot more!] - pretty good shape too - a few minor dropouts in the picture, but nothing major [yet anyway - still watching it as I type]

My Question is are there any plans to release this on DVD? - Also, I notice that my copy doesn't have digital sound - were there any pressings that did?

Etron

PS: I forgot to mention - Half Price [in St. Paul anyway] prices their laserdiscs dirt cheap now (presumably because not too many can play them) - there's a lot of common stuff, but every once in a while you can snag a great deal! (I Got the Golden Years of Looney Tunes laserdisc box for 9.99 - but I had a coupon that brought it down to 5!)

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

McCartney has just released a few excerpts from Rockshow as a part of his The McCartney Years DVD set. Otherwise, he has not released it on DVD, and has announced no plans to.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Rockshow should have seen a DVD release 10 years ago.

And why four songs were omitted from the film that are on Wings Over America still baffles me.

4. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Enlighten me. Since I've never seen the complete Rockshow, which four songs were omitted?

5. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I'll bump your question and ask - is it true that VH-1 showed Rockshow with those four songs intact? I heard that recently and was shocked.

6. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Do they have a website? I remember renting VHS of show! Well, my parents rented it for me lol!

7. John Carsell

Lady madonna was one of them, as for the other 3 I can't remember.

8. Etron Memke

http://halfpricebooks.com/ - Half Price doesn't sell anything online, tho...

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have the Digital Sound version of this LD. It only had 1 short pressing & then went OOP forever. It blows away the CX version.

10. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Here are the songs NOT included in Wings' Rockshow:

Call Me back again
    Lady Madonna
    Long and Winding Road
    Picasso's last words
    Richard Cory
    Blackbird
    My Love

And to make sure there are no mistakes, I just pulled out Rockshow and this is the selection:
    Venus and mars
    Rockshow
    Jet
    Let me roll it
    Spirits of ancient egypt
    Medicine jar
    Maybe i'm amazed
    Live and let die
    bluebird
    I've just seen a face
    Yesterday
    You gave me the answer
    Magneto and titanium man
    Go now
    Listen to what the man said
    Let me in
    Time to hide
    Silly love songs
    Beware my love
    Letting go
    Band on the run
    Hi hi hi
    Soily

11. John Carsell

:eek: :thumbsdn:

OMG it was 7 songs?

There oughta' be a law.

12. Anthology123

Oh, yes, I just acquired the omitted footage and compared it to my Rockshow disc. I was amazed myself that there are 7 songs not in original release. Lady madonna & Long and winding road were on the TV special, "Wings over the world".

13. Etron Memke

Oh I'm sure it does! - I'm happy with mine tho (after all it was only 5 bucks!)

14. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Some (I can't remember if all) of the songs omitted from the video (which were presumably part of an original cut; not sure if they were in original theatrical prints) were shown when VH1 broadcast "RockShow" in 1997 during their "McCartney Week." As I recall, VH1's broadcast was still edited down for commercials and to fit in whatever time slot they gave it. I vaguely remember that it cut out some material that was on the video, but included material not on the video as well. Apparently MPL supplied them with a longer (perhaps uncut) print of the film, and VH1 may have done some editing of their own for commercials and to run in the time they had set aside for it. I recall the non-video material amounted to around 20-25 minutes of footage; I just can't remember if that amounted to all of the songs cut for the video. I'd have to check the "Eight Arms to Hold You" book to check that.

VH1 also aired the "Wings Over the World" documentary during the same week (I recall reports that while the film was largely intact, it may also have been slightly edited compared to its original broadcast).

15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Just checked Madinger and Easter's "Eight Arms to Hold You", and they note that the 1997 VH1 broadcast of "RockShow" omitted two songs: "Spirits of Ancient Egypt" and "Magneto and Titanium Man." So you definitely have to edit together the two "sources" to get the most complete version. Too bad VH1 broadcast the film with a big "VH1 McCartney Week" logo in the corner!

16. Anthology123

Does anyone know the original track lineup from the theatrical film? Where do the 7 omitted songs go in the film? Where they are in the album?

17. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Yes, like Balzac said, the songs originally omitted from Rockshow turned up in that VH-1 broadcast in 1997. Unfortunately, I never got to see that to this day but I don't think it's too late...:)

18. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

19. Anthology123

I can't tell you how to see it, but it's out there, you just have to find it.

20. Claudio Dirani

Like the truth? Well, my private email hangar is always cleaned up ;)

21. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I taped it off of VH1 back when they had "McCARTNEY WEEK" (when Flaming Pie was issued) and those songs were indeed in there but they didn't have "Magneto..." or "Spirts of Ancient Egypt" (as mentioned earlier in this thread).

As far as the film goes, it'd be great if it were running AT THE RIGHT SPEED!:realmad:

It seems as though MPL doesn't have an original print to work from and just uses some sort of transfer that was done way back when and, of course, the film is running too fast. Paul sounds like Alvin & The Chipmunks at some points.

22. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

The "Wings Over America" 3 L.P./2-CD set is a composite of many shows,whereas the "Rockshow" video is from one specific show.The question is,was the set list identical from one night to the next on the "Wings at The Speed of Sound" tour?

23. Claudio Dirani

Yes, this is it...they replaced the above mentioned for this special.
    I've always seeked for this Vh1 special, but no luck.

24. Wogew

Wogew Member of The People's Front of Judea

There's a bootleg DVD out which is sourced from a japanese copy of RockShow. It has all the songs but is split into 2 discs. There are no logos and no subtitles, but it's mono.
    ;)
    Contrary to the official story, RockShow isn't just one gig, it's at least two. Paul has a Wings necklace, but in some shots there are two of them! And I've also read that someone has identified Madison Square Garden in some of the shots, whereas the official word was that the film is from the King Dome, Seattle.

25. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Ive just been watching the "Rockshow" footage on the "McCartney Years" dvd. Very cool stuff. Im amazed that somehow there hasnt been a deluxe edition reissue of "Wings Over America" with the full "Rockshow/Wings Over The World" footage. Considering how nicely the original set was packaged I think they could make an awesome cd/dvd deluxe edition package of this. Maybe if we are truly lucky it will come out as part of the McCartney re-issues we are supposed to see in 2008.
    We can but dream! :)

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.