Paul McCartney & Wings "Wild Life" EMI/Fame CD version questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Carsell, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wings Wild Life EMI/Fame CD version

Well I used to see this one in the stores frequently back in the late 80's/early 90's, but there was always something else more important to buy at the time.

Finally after reading Steve's and other forum members indorsements on this I finally got to audition one today.

Not the greatest Macca album by a long shot, but sonically this is miles ahead of the Parlophone '93 remaster.

Some of tracks are rather hissy (Oh Woman, Oh Why?, Bip Bop) but that's probably how the source tape was. Not really any problem with this. Mary Had A Little Lamb and Little Woman Love just jumped right out at me. Nice!
    What's also nice is finally getting to hear this album breathe. I don't think I could ever go back to listening to the remaster now, just like when I first heard the DCC McCartneys (which I'm glad I bought all of them at the time).
    Woulda been nice if Give Ireland Back To The Irish had been on this EMI/ Fame version as it only exists on the remaster (excessively no-noised of course.)

Wanna personally thank forum member Billy Boy for loaning this to me. Who knows, I just may even return it to you. :laugh:

By the way Billy Boy enough of the lurking here at all hours and get to the postings. We expect senior member status at least by the end of summer.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

All of those McCartneys were pretty much "flat" from the master tapes.

3. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

John

I also have the EMI/Fame Wild Life and have previously recommended it here.

For some reason it sounded better than all the other McCartney CDs released at or around the same time.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Steve, in your opinion, how are the U.S. McCartney discs issued in the late 80's/early 90's?

5. Steve Hoffman

The best there ever was.
    I have every one!

These are the British pre-1993 versions.

6. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

I have the first American CD of this album. Has the words "3 Bonus Tracks" banner across the top of the "booklet". Black tray card with white lettering. Silver disc with black lettering...

Was this one also mastered flat? It DOES sound better than the British CD reissue, that's fer sure!

7. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

I think my question has been answered...THANKS!

8. Steve Hoffman

Rob, buddy! Hi'ya!

John, I fixed your thread heading for you.

9. John Carsell

I noticed that.

Thanks Steve.

10. Steve Hoffman

For the search engines.

11. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Are the Columbia McCartney's flat? Are these the ones that you are speaking of?

12. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Steve, I just realized my question was not very clear. I was speaking about the early 80's/late 90's Capitol discs - were you also? I forgot about the mid-80's Columbia discs.

13. Steve Hoffman

I know nothing about the Columbias. I heard one that didn't sound too good.

14. ascot

ascot Senior Member

How many EMI/Fame Macca titles are there? I have Wild Life, Red Rose Speedway, and McCartney II.

I only discovered the beauty of these discs after reading about them in an earlier thread. And Wild Life has one of my favorite McCartney songs: "Oh Woman, Oh Why". :thumbsup:

15. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

I love "Oh Woman, Oh Why", too. Reminds me of "Oh! Darling" with all that strangulated screaming and all...

Too bad they didn't include the A-side, "Another Day". Is there a good sounding version of THAT song anywhere?

16. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Steve, are you saying that the current US edition of Back in the Egg sounds better than the 1993 UK remasters?

Just curious, since this is my favorite Wings album.

17. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I would think the best "Another Day" would be on the 1987 Japanese pressed Wings Greatest, or maybe the U.K. edition of All the Best. I have not compared them. That Japanese disc is well worth searching out!

ggggreenisaac likes this.
  18. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Thanks ascot,

I imagine that even the American CD of "Wings' Greatest" was mastered much like the individual records...I hope so!

19. sydriver

sydriver New Member

I have a complete collection of the EMI-Fame McCartney discs and find that they are superior in every way to the US CDs. No NR, they "breathe" beautifully. Unfortunately they're hard to find, and hard to identify even when they pop up on ebay.

20. John Carsell

Kym, The current U.S. edition is out of print at the moment, so if you see one, snap it up.

Notta sonic gem by any means, but better than that no-noised '93 UK Parlophone remaster.

The original pre '93 Parlophone CD is worthy as well.

21. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I was contemplating a "can someone tell me which are the best versions of early McCartney to look for" thread, and lo and behold this thread appears! Could some give a few quick descriptors of the EMI/Fame disks to make used-bin trawling a little easier?

Thanks so much!!!

L.

22. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I could be wrong here, but I thought the original U.S. discs were cloned from the initial U.K. EMI discs. (????)

23. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I always thought the U.S. Wings Greatest sounded great. I've never compared any individual tracks to Steve's DCC's however. (I'll bet Steve will break our hearts by telling us that "Greatest" was on the schedule by DCC!)

As I recall, the very first U.S. issues of some of the Wings' cd inserts were completely blank inside. Apparently lots of people complained and artwork was then added.

24. John Carsell

Full sized artwork on the front CD insert, look for EMI/Fame logo on back.

Wild Life has the wording "Includes 3 Bonus Tracks" on the front cover and I'm shure Red Rose Speedway does too. Not shure about McCartney II.

25. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

You are correct. At The Speed Of Sound, London Town and Back To The Egg had the blank inserts and were quickly reisuued with proper booklets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.