Paul McCartney & Wings "Wild Life" EMI/Fame CD version questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Carsell, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

Yes, McCartneyII says "2 Bonus Tracks" on the front. But the worst design is "Venus and Mars" with a big white stripe in the lower right corner saying "featuring *3 Bonus Tracks". B.t.w I have a "Wild Life" EMI/Fame from 1987 printed in UK without the "3 Bonus tracks"-logo on the front, but I remember there was one, too.

Martin

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Hiya John,

Yes, I also have a CD-R of the EMI/Fame Wings Wild Life(Thanks to my Beatle buddy Marty), and it's refreshing to hear good old fashioned tape hiss on it! No no-noise on this sucker! Not especially one of my favorite Macca albums, but better than it's rep would have it. "Oh Woman Oh Why"(bonus track here)is one of my fave McCartney rockers.

Evan

3. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Not meaning to stray too far off topic here, but which vinyl pressings of London Town and Back to the Egg should I look for? A simple UK pressing?

A good vinyl pressing might be easier to find then all the EMI/Fame discs.

4. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ascot, I think you've answered your own question.

The U.S. vinyl Back To The Egg wasn't bad either.

5. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Thanks, John. I just wasn't sure if I should try to get a Japanese pressing or if the UK would suffice.

6. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

Sorry just catching up with this. I have a 1987 EMI/Fame Wings Wild Life which does have the "3 bonus tracks" across the top on the front.
    Mysteriously I bought it in the UK , but I now notice it was "Made in W.Germany"
    Even more mysterious is that it says "Stereo/DDD" on it.
    Now they didnt transfer the multitrack tapes to digital and remix it ( or did they ?)
    Cheers
    John

7. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Here's the EMI/Fame inserts for McCartney II

8. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

....and Wings Wild Life

9. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

Of course they didn't remix ;-) Even then it would be ADD. Mine is made in the UK and has the DDD logo too.
    (My first 4 Beatles CDs have ADD on the back and a sticker "ADD should read AAD" - nice to have that).

Martin

10. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I'm a little confused. Are the EMI-Fame releases the last ones done for the UK? Are they available now and easy to find?

11. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

No the EMI FAME's were 1987. EMI/Fame was/is a budget EMI label so they were available at lower than new cost price. Then a fresh batch of remasters were put out in 93(in the UK). These are still available, identified by white covers with small pictures of the original album artwork in the corner. EMI/Fames wont be available as new, but in the UK there are plenty of secondhand copies.
    Must be time for some more Macca remasters soon :laugh:
    Cheers
    John

12. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

No, the Fame releases are old late 80's releases. The last set of releases were from Parlaphone and are the remasters. I think the Parlophone set is OOP too by now.

I see someone beat me to the answer... :)

I have both the UK EMI-Fame and the UK Parlophone of McCartney II - and, to be honest - I find very little difference between them. Both have plenty of hiss during and between the tracks. It's as if this particular re-master was not "no-noised".

I'll need to look at a spectral view to verify if it was blacked-out between tracks, but I seem to recall that it wasn't.

Joel

13. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I do remember these now. Don't have any of them but I'll start keeping my eyes open. I may have mis-read Steve's comment close to the beginning of this thread. Someone asked about his opinion of the late 80's/early 90's US releases and his reply was "the best". I now take it that he was talking about the EMI-Fames and not the US issues. It's been a long, long day and my mind has about shut down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.