Paul McCartney's "Freshen Up" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Jul 3, 2018.

1. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Beatles - Getting Better
    Wings - Goodnight Tonight
    Post-Wings - Tug of War

It could be a number of tunes but these are my choices at the moment.

2. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I know. There are so many post-Beatles choices. It's mind boggling.

edenofflowers likes this.
  3. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Beatles—-What You’re Doing
    Wings—-Beware My Love
    Post Wings—-Keep Undercover

omikron likes this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Beatles (era): "Step Inside Love"
    Wings: "Warm and Beautiful"
    Solo: "Early Days"

Once upon a time I said "If you give me 'Too Many People' I'll never ask for anything again". So I am disqualified from asking for these three. :)

omikron, edenofflowers and theMess like this.
  5. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Beatles: Tell Me What You See
    Wings: Getting Closer
    Solo: Happy With You

theMess likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Good picks! :righton:

Isamet likes this.
  7. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Binni, theMess and foxylady like this.
  8. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Beatles: The Night Before
    Wings: Eat At Home
    Solo: Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  9. rppvaldez

rppvaldez Forum Resident

New Presale for the Paris Show going on right now on the UArena website. Practically no "Parterre Or" available and they don't show the location so it's a crap shoot...

Oh and they have a new floorplan for the "Parterre Or" too with 5 blocks instead of 7...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

God I hope so but does it mean he's ruled out for Glasto? I suppose he could fly over and do the Sunday June 30 show. :shake::shake::shake: Though I really, really, really hope he doesn't. He would be ripped to shreds. He's a glutton for punishment, after all.

11. corchians

corchians Forum Resident

I hope that Paul will add "I don't know" for his first gig in Canada!

Who Cares and theMess like this.
  12. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I think this means you can safely kiss goodbye to Glasto 2019 - because I speculate he'd also add a Hyde Park show for same measure....

13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Interesting you caught the reason why I've added a "phew". 2004 was perfect (although I much prefer his post 2009 setlists and post-Heather attitude), 15 years on it will be a huge success at the field, but the (semi-)live TV broadcast will be another Olympics, another Jubilee. Just when he's on a great PR spree after the Carpool Karaoke, he would've even had his first UK #1 in 30 years with 'Egypt Station' if not for Eminem doing a surprise release. He doesn't need to do this again.

But wait a minute, the site is mentioning Saturday 26th of June which doesn't exist in 2019, it's Wednesday 26th of June. I thought it was bang on in the middle of Glastonbury, on a mentioned Saturday.

Fivebyfive and theMess like this.
  14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I don't expect he'll play any of my Egypt Station favourites: "Dominoes", "Caesar Rock", "C-Link"...

theMess likes this.
  15. Mean Dorris

Mean Dorris Well-Known Member

It's listed on the venues site as 26th June - no mention of a Saturday (in fact on one page specifically mentiones Wedbesday 26th), possibly somone has got the day wrong on Paul's site - so Glasto still viable...

16. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

That's what has me worried. June 26 is a Wednesday. Plenty of time to fly over. Ugh. What a huge mistake that would be, just as the British are warming up (a bit) to him. Which is probably why he'd do it. Dude must like banging his head against the wall. I'm already dreading it. You're right: At the concert, the crowd would be happy; on TV and Twitter, not so much.

theMess likes this.
  17. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Exactly what I'm saying, it's (still) wrong on McCartney's site.

Yup. Same story back in The Netherlands with the Pinkpop Festival. I addressed this all the time to Dutch fans that I hope he would never play it, and always got attacked for it. First rumoured in 2013, him doing Bonnaroo instead. Phew. Then rumoured in 2015, him doing fantastically reviewed Amsterdam venue shows instead. Phew. I was so glad we dodged a bullet with Pinkpop, and after the 2 (actually very badly selling, because of his already tarnished reputation) 2015 shows I was sure we wouldn't have to worry about Pinkpop ever again.

Then just 9 months after the far from sold out Amsterdam shows (two times 17,000 tickets)... Pinkpop got announced. Capacity 60,000 tickets a day, 116,750 unique visitors over the weekend. The casual non-fan crowd was going to experience a Paul McCartney show post vocal prime, heavily featured in the press. I lived at the other side of the world at the time, but I wouldn't have gone to that festival if I would've been able to.

The evening of the show it was early morning for me, and I tortured myself by doing a search on social media when I woke up early in the morning, while live reports were still coming in. He was getting an absolute hammering from the festival goers at the field, it pains me to think about it, the messages just didn't stop. People at fan boards thought McCartney was sick or not talkative or not into it, because how could the comments be so harsh? Hate to say I told you so...

Then the public TV channel was allowed to broadcast two times 30 seconds of the show. :help: You know them, the raw, mono, badly mixed, vocally challenging opener plus either the second or third song: Macca at Pinkpop 2016.ts :cry: I was holding my breath, since AHDN gets ghosted by Abe Jr. and can sound alright. But then 'Can't Buy Me Love' after all... It was done, we were defeated. Final nail in the coffin for his reputation over here. Now also the messages from the people at home came in. The label even planned a "damage control" TV item on a late night show with good ratings at the time the day after, but a (then, hehe) prominent radio DJ compared him with Mohammed Ali, who just passed away that week: "you didn't want to see that old legend putting on a fight in the past 35 years, and that's what McCartney is doing now".

And it's so sad, he wore a tulip for us and all, did 'Ram On' by request (only time in 2016, only the second time in the past 6+ years even). Luckily the Carpool Karaoke brushed it up a bit again, but Pinkpop will forever be remembered by the casual crowd. While his fantastic shows in 2009, 2012 and 2015 could've had that status, with many casual concert goers kicking themselves they never bought a ticket. Please, no second Glastonbury.

Fivebyfive and theMess like this.
  18. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes Thread Starter

Beatles - Mother Nature's Son
    Wings - Helen Wheels
    Solo - Dance Till We're High

19. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Beatles: Rocky Raccoon
    Wings: Silly Love Songs
    Solo: Young Boy

For the first time ever, I have tickets to two consecutive shows (Raleigh and Greenville). I know in 2002, almost every show had an identical setlist (with the exception of Mull of Kintyre in Toronto). But more recent tours he's had a few slots where he would alternate between two choices. I'm really hoping to get two slightly different sets at each show.

jazon and paulmccartneyistheman like this.
  20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

I think this is the correct place.

Spotify on Twitter: Under The Staircase, coming this Friday.

21. Tropic Island Hum

Tropic Island Hum Forum Resident

I’m taking my 13 year old nephew to the first show of the tour in Quebec. We’re both very excited. He loves Egypt Station. We made shirts to wear to the show. I’m “Bip”. He’s “Bop”. Haha!! :)
    I’d like to post pictures of the shirts, but I can’t seem to figure it out.
    If any forum members are going to the show and would like to meet beforehand for a drink and a fan get together, please drop me a PM. :)

22. Tropic Island Hum

Beatles: Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
    Wings: Bip Bop
    Post-Wings: Beautiful Night (or Tug Of War)

theMess and omikron like this.
  23. Tropic Island Hum

Or Pipes of Peace, or Not Such A Bad Boy, or Stranglehold, or Once Upon A Long Ago...wow, Paul’s wonderful 80’s output has been neglected.

theMess, Frank and omikron like this.
  24. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Los Angeles shows will be announced any day now. Hopefully, an arena this time.

25. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

An L.A. announcement this week :cool:

SixOClockBoos likes this.