Paul McCartney's "Freshen Up" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LandHorses, Jul 3, 2018.

1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I hope so. The only one I'm sure of is "Mull Of Kintyre". It would be nice if he played "Penny Lane" in Liverpool.

When the London show was announced, the Ticketmaster listing mentioned something like "plus special guest", so I'm assuming he'll play "Get Back" with that person.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'd bet "plus special guest" just means "random opening act".

3. 5th-beatle

As far as I know, he doesn't usually have opening acts in the UK. However, he did have Ronnie Wood as a guest during Get Back when he played in London a few Decembers ago. Maybe 2011?

4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Liverpool concert will have OMAZE's winner. Probably they'll play Get Back...

theMess and 5th-beatle like this.
  5. RayS

Opening acts have been relatively rare in the US, but there was one at the opening of CitiField (which I think wasn't even announced beforehand). But in promotor-speak, "special guest" has meant opening act (and NOT special guest) for a long time.

6. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

Yes, and Dave Grohl in 2015, on the first night at the O2. I was there and the place went bananas, I think they did ”I Saw Here Standing There”.

7. Diego Esparcia

Diego Esparcia Forum Resident

I’ll be attending the Paris gig. One extra song he will do for sure is Michelle and hopefully Wondelful Xmas Time.

8. 5th-beatle

This just showed up on Maccaboard. No idea whether it's a real rumor or someone speculating. I've done some slight editing just to make it easier to read, but it's not my info.

19 March 2019 - Santiago, Chile: Estadio Nacional

22 & 23 March 2019 - Buenos Aires, Argentina: Estadio Ciudad de La Plata

26 & 27 March 2019 - São Paulo, Brazil: Allianz Parque

30 March 2019 - Curitiba, Brazil: Estádio Couto Pereira

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Diego Esparcia likes this.
  9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I think that this is a bit unfair; the common critical narrative does seem to be that the Beatles broke up, and that despite Paul having some good songs he mainly released commercially successful mawkish pap, and that he rarely hit the heights that he did with the group after the split. A lot of people ask 'what happened' etc, like his solo career is embarrassing. Alan Partridge lampooning Wings is an example, even a power pop gem like 'Jet' wasn't safe from being joked about.

Over recent times, the critical consensus on many music sites is that Paul's solo career was at times harshly reviewed incorrectly, sometimes for matters that had nothing to do with the music, but I don't know how much that is affecting the popular view. For instance, the sort of journalists who mention 'Frog Chorus' like it was a big embarrassment are still common, and the average person has probably never heard of Pitchfork, let alone seen their review praising 'Ram'.

Yesterday Uncut gave the 'Wild Life', 'RRS' and 'Wings Over Europe' box 8/10, but how many people know Wings released an album called 'Wild Life', let alone that it is now being reviewed more positively ? Unfortunately, Paul is now seen by many as a Beatle who also wrote 'Live and Let Die' and 'Band on The Run', but also the Frog Chorus and 'Ebony and Ivory'; most people don't realise how much great solo music he has released, and a lot of this is down to the fact that 30 years ago he basically stopped promoting it (he started trash talking a lot of it in the late 80's) in concert (he has never performed 'No More Lonely Nights', 'Take It Away', 'Say Say Say', 'With A Little Luck', 'Waterfalls', 'Pipes Of Peace', etc, despite them all being US or UK hits).

lazydynamite, Zeki, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

And I, for one, am eternally grateful!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  11. RayS

Do you wonder if he ever got hurt by the words that people said? And the things that they did when they were picking on him?

mrjinks and theMess like this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Why is that ? Would it have bothered you if they were alternated in over the last 30 years occasionally ? I personally think that Paul should have done a solo/Wings only filmed concert every 3 or 4 years over the last 20 years or so, and that would have given us a nice collection of live DVD's/Albums, whilst promoting his solo work in a nice way for people who have only ever heard his Beatles work.

mrjinks, vitorbastos123, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I certainly do! I definitely think that Paul became deeply affected by the harsh reviews that he had received in the 70's and 80's, to the point where he was almost embarrassed by Wings. Many of the decisions he made seem to have been to try and appeal to the critics. I was pleased when I saw a late 80's or early 90's interview where he said that it was silly to dismiss Wings and that he now realised they did a lot of good work, and that the critics were too dismissive of his solo body of work.

Zeki, kevintee and RayS like this.
  14. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Don't most established acts do the same? The Stones are not that different and its done them no harm.

The reason that Paul's back catalogue is not respected, in my opinion, is less to do with his concerts but his lack of Greatest Hits. He's released 3. The Stones, with fewer no1's and top 10 hits than Paul over 20. The Beach Boys with only a fraction of his success in the charts over 30, the Who over 20, Elton John 17, Rod around 15, Paul Simon 11, Billy Joel 14 and John Lennon 13.

Paul, the most successful songwriter on the Billboard charts, has really dropped the ball in promoting his catalogue. Most people my age range or younger presume Lennon was the more successful in the 70's and its not down to what Paul plays on tour but his lack of exploiting his hits like all of his contemporaries have.

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Because I consider them the worst kind of 'commercially successful mawkish pap'!

Certainly if they had been played in concerts where I was stumping up $300 a ticket, yes, and especially if they had taken the place of far better songs.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Opinions differ!

I think No More Lonely Nights, Take It Away, and With A Little Luck are much better songs than some McCartney has chosen to perform!

Also I think in general people have always liked McCartney's music, I mean how did it become so successful and result in so many #1's, a whole lot of people had to be listening and liking it!

This totally inaccurate and insane negative view of McCartney's Wings/solo material was mostly by critics not the general public! The people that were listening loved it and they filled the places where Wings performed worldwide as proof!

It's the critics who have always been wrong, not the general public, they were too busy buying Wings albums!

gja586, Zeki, Hep Alien and 1 other person like this.
  17. 5th-beatle

"Got To Get You Into My Life" with horns. Has this video been shared here?

18. Skokiaan

Skokiaan Forum Resident

I admire Paul for not constantly pumping out greatest hits packages. I stopped buying Lennon's compilations long ago - there were just too many. Same for the Who, who may have as many compilations as original albums. There is no need for this.

Paul has four (excluding promos):
    Wings Greatest - 1978
    All the Best - 1987
    Wingspan: Hits and History - 2001
    Pure McCartney - 2016

Zeki, Hep Alien, 5th-beatle and 4 others like this.
  19. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Very nice! I would of loved to hear that when I saw him in Montreal. Also noticed they appear to be using footage of the Beatles Rock Band game for that one.

5th-beatle likes this.
  20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I'd love to have that cartoon footage from the Beatles rock band game!

5th-beatle likes this.
  21. 5th-beatle

According to news reports in Chile, Paul's concert in Santiago will happen between March 20 and 23, at the same stadium of his 1993 and 2011 shows.

[​IMG]

theMess, Who Cares and foxylady like this.
  22. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

24. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

[​IMG]

mrjinks and Zeki like this.
  25. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

I will be in Paris can't wait ! (soundcheck also)

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.