Paul McCartney's next world tour will be his last

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peerke, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peerke

peerke Senior Member Thread Starter

According to the British newspaper The Sunday Mirror

Here's the link: http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/...t-world-tour-will-be-his-last-98487-20599176/

Paul McCartney's next world tour will be his last
    By Sean Hamilton Showbiz Editor
    8/06/2008

The former Beatle is about to announce plans for a colossal two-year tour. The huge string of dates, starting this autumn, will be one of the biggest rock tours of all time. Macca is expected to make £110million from the planned 100 gigs - more than £1m per show.

It will be his biggest tour since 1989-90 when he played 108 shows in Europe, the US, Japan and Brazil.

The tour will be in stages, taking in Europe, North and South America, Asia and Australia. The first dates will be announced in the next few weeks.

Beatrice, four, will join her dad - 66 this month - for sections of the tour.

Macca revealed his plan to close friends and family last weekend at his triumphant City Of Culture gig in his home town of Liverpool.

A source said: "Paul explained that this tour will be the last big one. He wants to settle down and enjoy Beatrice's childhood.

"The tour will be the last time he performs in many parts of the world. Beatrice and his family life are going to come first. He does not want to be away for months at a time."

The other woman in Macca's life - his new love, American socialite Nancy Shevell - will join him for much of the tour, aides have been told.

Nancy, 48, will see Paul play a free concert in Kiev, Ukraine, next Saturday.

Paul had long planned to make a final world tour but was waiting to get his divorce from Beatrice's mum Heather Mills out of the way. The two reached a £25million settlement in March.

Macca's last major tour, in 2002, netted him £63million for just 58 shows.

Paul will get more than £1million from each of the planned 100 per formances on one of the biggest rock tours ever.

Four-year-old Beatrice will fly out to join her dad for parts of the tour.

Go-ahead had to wait for end of divorce proceedings.

2. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I don't believe that he would say its his last tour. Just doesn't seem like something he would say. This is a never say die kind of guy and a guy who loves to play live.

3. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

The divorce decree recently obtained was a "Preliminary Divorce Decree". Provided that Heather Mills doesn't object(a BIG "if"),it becomes final the first week of July.

4. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I'll try to see him this time around. I've only seen him live once and that was in 1989.

5. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I agree to some extent. It could be that in another two years he won't be up to the rigors of an extended world tour. I don't think he'd rule out one-off appearances, or limited tours until such time that he literally can't get on to the stage.

6. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I can see that, I just can't see him announcing it. The Sunday Mirror seems to get a lot of these "scoops.";)

7. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

I stupidly missed him the last two times he came through Southern California (on his last tour and a special concert he had at Amoeba music in Hollywood last year). Hope to get tickets when the dates/locations are released.

8. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

Remind me again..was the Rolling Stones "last tour" in 69 or was it 72?

9. peelmeanemma

peelmeanemma New Member

Like almost all British newspapers, The Sunday Mirror is not exactly a "reliable" source of info. Until MPL and McCartney make an official announcement, it would be wise to ignore this story.

10. supermolland

supermolland Senior Member

He's not saying it's his last tour. I think he's saying that it's the last one where he will travel all around the planet. I forsee him doing mini outings, much like Billy Joel has done over the last few years.

11. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I think it sounds plausible though I agree that we should take the report with a grain of salt until we hear an official announcement.

Regardless, I will definitely plan to catch him in Boston when the tour hits.

12. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I would love to see him get a new set of musicians for his band. The current one just doesnt do a thing for me...

13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think Paul has specifically said in interviews in the past that he doesn't like the idea of saying it will be his "last tour." I think it was in one of the tour program interviews, if I'm recalling correctly, where he said something along the lines of it being tempting to say it's the last tour to get everybody to come out to see it, but he isn't interested in that.

Even this article, which obviously doesn't seem to have any firm sources, only goes so far as to say it will be his "last big one."

I don't find it too hard to believe that, at nearly 66 years old, he may not have more than one "huge world tour" in him where he trots the globe for two years. He's never even really done that since he started touring in 2002. He did North America in 2002 with a few other quick stops in Japan and Mexico if I'm recalling correctly. He did Europe in 2003, but that wasn't even really seen as part of the 2002 tour. It didn't seem that the 02 and 03 dates were really one big "world tour", but rather two seperate tours. But I don't know what the difference would be between one "world tour" versus individual North American, European, etc. tours. Probably just how they market it. Perhaps they will market this upcoming thing as a "World Tour" rather than "Driving USA", "Driving Japan", "Driving Europe" or whatever, "Back in the US", etc.

It seems even by the definition of what this article feels is a world tour (i.e. 108 dates over two years), even the touring he did in 2005 in North America would be a relatively small thing.

I could see them sort of vaguely marketing this upcoming tour as his "last major world tour", which would still leave the door open for normal 25-40 date US tours and the like in the future.

14. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

It makes sense that he may not be doing too many extended mega-tours in the future, so I'll make an extra effort to see him if he performs in this area.

15. THe 1989 tour was good but I thought that the band he had for the last couple of tours was better and the focus was better as well in terms of material.

You'll have a blast as he always puts on a good show. The only complaint I would make is that it can be predictable but in a good way.

16. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

'65.....

17. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Hopefully I'll get to see him again if he comes by my neck of the woods.

But I definitely think there may be a good chance he'll tour again afterwards.

Maybe not another world tour... but he'll surely still play gigs.

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Hopefully he makes his western canadian debut as a solo artist.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Stones have NEVER claimed they were on their last tour. People always claim that they've gone on repeated "farewell" tours, but they've never made that declaration. Drives me bonkers when people say this!!! :realmad:

20. 905

905 Senior Member

The Who, on the other hand...

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm not sure if the Who ever called anything a "farewell" tour other than their 1982 outing, but they may have...

22. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

Can anyone name a artist who annouced (in advance) it was the "last tour" and it was?

23. peerke

peerke Senior Member Thread Starter

Jacques Brel.

24. punkrok78

punkrok78 Forum Resident

Lets hope he makes it to Australia this time after many rumours and false starts. Our dollar is worth it now Paul

25. He didn't say it was his last tour. He said ...........

" "Paul explained that this tour will be the last big one... "

In other words, he is likely to do more small tours, but no more colossal, extensive world two-year tours; where he plays in a few dozen countries and cities. Allegedly, any future PM tours will be limited to a small amount of shows, in a limmited amount of countries/cities.

Besides, it definitely helps to make these comments before a tour and give everyone the impression that they may never, ever get another chance to see Paul McCartney perform live, ever again. Let the frenzy....begin.

Hey, it's worked for the Rolling Stones, The Who, Kiss and several others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.