Paul McCartney's "One On One" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ha - good call! This guy did like some of the songs - just not very many.

I wasn't that surprised he didn't like the less popular solo stuff, but booing Beatles songs? That was a surprise!

2. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

My only nitpick with the crowd for the friday night show- I was in the cheap seats and whenever anybody stood up to sing or dance along with the song , or get a view if the stage instead of the screens,the people behind them started booing and yelling for them to sit down. I mean, really? It's a rock concert, granted the average age of the audience is probably 60+ and probaby can't stand up anyway, but if you don't want to stand or deal with other people standing and enjoying themselves, stay home or go to the opera.

Sam Smith likes this.
  3. boe

boe Forum Resident

I saw the Beach Boys in 1972 and a guy a few rows behind me yelled for "Little Surfer" after every song. Finally when the show was over and the lights went up, someone turned to him and said "It's "Surfer Girl" you *****!" So as not to hijack the thread, will be seeing Paul on Saturday night and will not be yelling for "Mother Mary" (or anything else - I'll be thrilled with whatever he plays).

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's unclear if the guy Friday actually thinks the song is called "Mother Mary" or he just liked to yell that phrase. I assumed the latter, but the former is probably true.

Most shocking aspect of this encounter: I'm 99% sure this guy wasn't drunk. Normally I'd chalk up behavior like this to too many beers, but I saw no signs of that - he was just a loudmouthed jerk!

theMess, Benno123 and Hep Alien like this.
  5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I"ll be at the Sept. 26 th show

Looking forward to it, my only concert this year.

theMess and nowhereman87 like this.
  6. rigby2222

rigby2222 Forum Resident

I thought I'd share this hear for anyone here who might be interested. I'm excited Paul is finally coming to my hometown Syracuse and honored to have the chance to share the story. The reporter did a great job but took a lot of the context out. I've often been asked to write up the story of a really magical night my ex wife and I had hanging around Paul & Linda at what has become a classic SNL episode; maybe some day I will

Beatles fan has waited for Paul McCartney to play in Syracuse since 1993
    Updated on September 18, 2017 at 11:21 AMPosted on September 18, 2017 at 10:44 AM
    [​IMG]
    Paul McCartney points at Chip Dutch, before an airing of "Saturday Night Live" in 1993. (Provided photo)

256shares
    By Katrina Tulloch

[email protected],

syracuse.com

Chip Dutch of Syracuse met Paul McCartney in 1993.

The lifelong Beatles fan remembers every moment of that day, which he describes as one of the most magical of his life.

Dutch's best college friend, Chris Feresten, invited him to attend a rehearsal and taping of "Saturday Night Live." Alec Baldwin would host, with McCartney set to perform.

Dutch, then 28, couldn't believe it.

"He's probably the biggest artist in the music pantheon there is," said Dutch. "The music of The Beatles healed people. They could have used their power for anything, and they were all about love."

Dutch's friend Feresten, known professionally as Wally, made it all happen. He worked in the cue cards department of "Saturday Night Live," a job he landed right after graduating from Syracuse University. (Now, Wally runs his own cue cards company, nycQcards.)

In winter of 1993, Wally brought Dutch and his wife Penny up to Studio 8H. They immediately walked by McCartney, who was chatting with former "SNL" cast members David Spade and Chris Farley.

"It was unbelievable to me that this cultural icon was standing there," Dutch said. "My wife was speechless. Chris Farley was sweating."

The couple anxiously approached Paul's then-wife, Linda McCartney, during a rehearsal break. They chatted about Syracuse and asked if Paul would sign an autograph.

"She couldn't have been any nicer," Dutch said. "She yelled to Paul, 'Love! Can you come over?'"

McCartney came by and said, "How are you two? Where are you from?"

"Syracuse," Dutch replied. "Do you think you'd ever come to Syracuse?"

McCartney looked over at his manager standing nearby, who winked in return.

"Yup, we'll be there," he replied.

Later that year, the former Beatle indeed scheduled a tour date at the Carrier Dome, but then canceled the show to get ready for a Fox TV-televised concert.

About 20,000 tickets were already sold. The Syracuse show was postponed indefinitely. Finally, the beloved singer/songwriter will return to play the Dome on Saturday, Sept. 23.

McCartney signed an autograph and took a photo with Dutch. He told the couple to stick around while they rehearsed a few songs for the show.

[​IMG]
    Paul and Linda McCartney signed Chip Dutch's "Tug of War" album insert when they met in 1993. (Provided photo)
    He sang "Get Out of My Way," "Let It Be" and "Lady Madonna," about 15 feet away from the young couple.

"I just couldn't believe it," Dutch said. "I was on cloud nine. Everyone in there was security or staff, so the whole time he was winking at us. I think it's because he knew we were real fans."

Wally later told Dutch he had never seen a celebrity guest have such an effect on the "SNL" cast and staff. Secretaries and other 30 Rock staffers filled the seats to watch him. Some were in tears.
    During McCartney's live performance later that night, Dutch watched from the floor. Right before the camera went live, several "SNL" stars piled in the studio to watch alongside him.

"I was standing there with Mike Myers (whose parents come from Liverpool, England) who said, 'This is the greatest ever,'" Dutch said. "The noise was deafening. Lorne Michaels was on his chair. Chris Farley was bowing. [Paul] was at another level of celebrity."

Later that night, Wally told Dutch and Penny to meet up at a Manhattan restaurant after the show. They arrived around 1 a.m. and Dutch instantly recognized Stella and James McCartney at the packed bar.

"This was before Stella became a big fashion designer," Dutch said. "I told her it must have been weird for people to talk to her about her dad all the time, but she smiled and said it was OK."

Someone yelled, "They're coming!" and McCartney's band filed in, followed by Linda and Paul.

"Linda smiled and Paul stopped right in front of me," Dutch said. "He put his finger on my chest and said, 'I remember you.'"

Then, the mob caught up with them. The McCartneys bounced away to a VIP room and Dutch watched Alec Baldwin ask Paul for an autograph.

The next morning, they took their camera film to a one-hour photo shop. All night, Dutch had worried his photo hadn't come out.

"The reaction of the clerk was priceless," he said. "She goes, 'Oh my God, it's Paul McCartney.' I'm just thankful I got to meet my hero, and that he's a very good guy who goes out of his way to make people feel at ease."

Dutch has tickets to see McCartney on Saturday at the Carrier Dome, 24 years later. His seats are far from the stage, but he says he doesn't need to see McCartney close-up. He was lucky enough to do that in person.

Katrina Tulloch writes music and culture stories for Syracuse.com and The Post-Standard.

theMess, jlf, paolo and 21 others like this.
  7. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

They were just saying "Boo-urns!!" :agree:

theMess, MsMaclen and joeislive like this.
  8. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I made that joke to my friend when Paul brought out Bruce and the crowd started going Bruuuuuuuuce!:laugh:

9. daveidmarx

Great story! Now I understand your avatar!! :)

theMess, MsMaclen and rigby2222 like this.
  10. daveidmarx

:biglaugh:

theMess likes this.
  11. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

I was in section 115 (directly across from 109) with my wife and 6 year old son. I try to always get the seats on the sides just because you can see everything easier and slightly above the stage. Plus, you don't have to crane your neck like you have to from the floor, which always seems to give me a headache.

It was my son's first concert and I wasn't sure how he would do at a show that starts after his bedtime. I spent the better part of the past month trying to psyche him up, and played all the songs I guessed Mr McCartney would play for him. He was tough to read. Sometimes it seemed like he was excited for the music, and other times he just wanted to get back to his action figures. I was nervous that he would like some of the show, but would become tired and want to leave halfway through. It's a risk to take a young person to a show that he might not enjoy. But, at 75, how many more concerts will Paul play in the future? I wanted my son to be able to say that he was able to see him, and hopefully enjoy the experience.

As it turned out, he was just as excited as I was, and was over the moon for Live And Let Die... Especially the pyrotechnics. He was a little disappointed that they didn't play his favorite, which is Jet, but I have to say I was really happy about getting Letting Go, which was my first time seeing it performed. We had a pretty good section as well last night, with a lot of people who were into all the music and not just the Beatles songs. I held him up most of the night as he wasn't tall enough to see over everyone standing, and we had a blast dancing with everyone. My arms are really sore today, but it's totally worth it knowing that he had a great time.

I took a good amount of pictures as well, some of them came out pretty decent, although Paul had so many spotlights on him, he looks like a glowing night light in most of my pics. I'll try posting some tomorrow after I get a good look at them on my computer. I might have even captured you on some of them. I would love to see your shots, who knows, you may have captured a boy and his very proud Mommy and Daddy having a great night that we'll remember forever!

theMess, JoeRockhead, JDeanB and 9 others like this.
  12. daveidmarx

I was in section 115 for night 1 (Row 13)!

13. Bewaremylove

Sweet! We were in row 17.

theMess and daveidmarx like this.
  14. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Hey, I quite like that song. Should've been on Pure McCartney :p

15. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

That's fantastic! It looked like a great section over there -- there were times when you all were standing and we were sitting. My nephew is almost 3 and showing clear signs of being a superfan-in-training so I asked his parents about bringing him to a show, but they want to hold off a bit, so I need Paul to keep touring both for myself and for him. :) You made the right choice -- one day he'll be very glad he had that opportunity.

I'm looking through mine and have some video clips with portions of your section in them, though they're a bit of a hot mess -- I seem to have been enjoying myself too much. :) Once I'm through with this run I'll try to pull some stuff together and share them. Would love to see yours!

And yeah, the spotlights are the bane of my photo-taking existence. Paul's white shirt and the band's black ones don't make things any easier. I try to spot expose to his face, take as many as possible, and hope something comes out. I found this was another plus for the side-stage seats -- when Paul turns to the side or back his face doesn't get blown out as much. But my photos aren't going to win any awards. :)

theMess and Bewaremylove like this.
  16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I was in Sec 115 Row 19 Seat 18 and saw someone a few rows in front of me holding a young kid up occasionally. It might've been you.

theMess and Bewaremylove like this.
  17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Any talk of a european tour?

18. Bewaremylove

I was using my phone, and a small point-and-shoot. The only way I was able to get any detail in his face was to go past the optical zoom, and into the digital, which degrades the picture. The only other way was to get lucky in the bridge of a song . There was a good opportunity during Mr Kite where he was dancing around with the bass. Of course I only used my phone for that part... I have a decent SLR at home, but was afraid they would take it away.

19. Bewaremylove

That was probably us. We had seats 16, 17 and 18. I apologize if we were blocking your view. I apologized to the people in the row behind us. There was a couple of people directly in front of us that stood for most of the show, and my son couldn't see. They were both drunk before the show even started, and I didn't want any problems, so we just stood up behind them. On a side note, I hope we impressed you with our dance moves.

20. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

Yeah, they've gotten pretty strict about the "no detachable lenses" rule. I use a 30x p&s I got specifically for concerts. It's several years old and so is painfully slow relative to my dSLR in every possible way, but I trust it and it forces me to be more economical and think about what I'm taking. I'm best able to avoid overexposing Paul by zooming in, but then I sometimes underexpose because of his shirt. I'm not MJ Kim and I'm there primarily to have fun, so I just click the buttons and hope for the best. :)

21. daveidmarx

That was just an imaginative way of requesting "Young Boy"! :biglaugh:

22. Bewaremylove

Here are some of the pictures I took on Sunday night. I'll only post a few for now to make sure it works first:
    [​IMG]
    Edit: Ok, it took a few attempts but I figured it out now. I'll post a few more. Stand by

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  23. Bewaremylove

24. Bewaremylove

Here is one that has section 109 in it. Let me know if you can see yourself, and I'll send you a larger version

[​IMG]

25. Bewaremylove

Here is one of my son and I, just before the show. I bought 2 pretzels that we could share, and that kid ate them both!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.