Paul McCartney's "One On One" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Saw the Brisbane concert on Saturday night.

I was blown away! He's my 3rd favourite Beatle, but man, he played for 3 hours straight, put on one hell of a show and didn't even see him have a drink of water!
    He was in fine voice too, played some unexpected numbers, his stories were great and the banter was often hilarious. (Note, this is my first time seeing him).

I've read complaints about his voice over the last decade or so on here, the only time I noticed it faulter at all was on slow acoustic numbers (Blackbird, I've just seen a face), they sounded great still though.
    It seemed when he gave it heaps he sounded excellent :) I still have no idea how he ripped into 'Helter Skelter' after the 2.5 hour mark.

I was very, very impressed with the entire show. What an excellent showman, and what a great band he's touring with.

I haven't been on the site (to post) in a while, but I can't stop telling people how great that gig was :)

2. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Nahh!

I didn't want it to end! Fastest 3hrs of my life :D

3. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Glad to hear Paul is going down so well down under; he’s made you all wait so its good to hear that he’s brought his A game :D

The same voices have been carping for years about Paul’s voice live and how he ought to just hang it up as he’s not 20-something anymore. If I’d’ve heeded them, I wouldn’t have seen him in 2011 just before Christmas and got Wonderful Christmastime along with Ram on, nor would I have taken my son to Liverpool a couple of years ago and got Temporary Secretary into the bargain. Both were fantastic shows with Paul trouncing performers half his age.

Sometime in the future when he’s gone, the voices online saying he should’ve given up and gone home by now will be forgotten. Treasure him while you can. Time has already told that we have not seen his like again.

theMess, MsMaclen, mrjinks and 10 others like this.
  4. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Temporary Secretary made it's return. All is well in the world now.

5. He could have done Dance Tonight with her...

6. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last day in Australia.

[​IMG]

7. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

It’s been a great tour of the great South Land.

8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

His hotel was right under it. I was going past the bridge by ferry today and I looked at the people walking on it. If only I knew! (This photo was taken today, the day after his final date.)

I did the full tour in the end, and he seemed to have so much fun on stage and off stage. The crew and band as well. He really emphasised on it last night, kept on mentioning it, even mentioned some crew by name he normally doesn’t mention.

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And he'll be coming back soon---like in another 24 years ... ;)

Seriously: Looks like it was a successful and crowd-pleasing bunch of concerts.

theMess and 5th-beatle like this.
  10. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

So he gave a three-hour show on Monday, another three-hour show on Tuesday, and did the 2-hour bridge climb on Wednesday. At 75 years of age.

:faint::faint::faint:

I'm not sure I could do all of that at 55. Dude is scary fit for his age.

theMess, DrBeatle, efegarcia and 10 others like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The secret to his health and longevity: Copious amounts of English tea ... ;)

12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

75 years old and no sign of slowing down. Genuinely inspiring.

theMess, Fivebyfive, Mamunia and 3 others like this.
  13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

14. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  15. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

16. susyredstripe

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Who in gods name thought it was Peggy Lipton

SixOClockBoos and ConnieGuitar like this.
  18. susyredstripe

Few pages back.

19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Find a picture of McCartney doing an actual headstand, yogi. lol.

Here you go. To keep the pedants guessing. lol.

[​IMG]

theMess, Hep Alien and susyredstripe like this.
  20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I don’t wanna sound like an ass here, but Paul doesn’t play 3hr shows. He’s close, but it’s really about 2:45. That is MIGHTY impressive - don’t get me wrong. But if he’s actually hit the 3hr mark, he’s probably only done it a couple times with his current touring band at very selective shows. Nitpicking? Perhaps!

But (maybe?) worth mentioning. :hide:

21. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Just for that...

PAUL DOES THREE HOUR AND 6 MINUTE SHOWS AT 76 YEARS OF AGE AND CLIMBS MOUNT EVEREST EVERY THIRD TUESDAY!!!

Fact check me!

22. ladycat

ladycat Forum Resident

23. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Yep :faint::faint::faint: is right, still plenty of gas in the tank yet for this sprightly septuagenarian and if anyone has inherited the James Brown mantle of "the hardest working man in show business" it's gotta be Macca.
    I went to the 2nd Sydney show, the last on the Australian tour before he goes to New Zealand, and was very impressed by the performance and the sound quality in the undercover Qudos Arena.
    So glad it wasn't a single Sydney concert in the much larger Olympic Stadium next door as the sound can be diabolical if you're sitting back any great distance from the stage.

Plenty of superfans there on the night but the honours went to a Japanese lady from Nagoya who was chosen to come on stage after being spotted in the audience holding up a sign asking Paul to sign the blue Sgt Peppers jacket she wore.
    She has traveled more than 120,000 miles to see his performances around the world and this was her 44th McCartney concert; now that is devotion!

And the duration of the show?
    Contrary to what some will tell you it was right on 3 hours from 8pm till 11pm, must have been one of those very selective shows.
    The top 40 set list:

1. A Hard Day's Night
    2. Jet
    3. Can't Buy Me Love
    4. Temporary Secretary
    5. Drive My Car
    6. Let Me Roll It (With Hendrix “Foxy Lady” coda)
    7. I've Got a Feeling
    8. My Valentine
    9. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
    10. Maybe I'm Amazed
    11. We Can Work It Out
    12. In Spite of All the Danger (The Quarrymen song)
    13. You Won't See Me
    14. Love Me Do
    15. And I Love Her
    16. Blackbird
    17. Here Today
    18. Queenie Eye
    19. New
    20. Lady Madonna
    21. FourFiveSeconds
    22. Eleanor Rigby
    23. I Wanna Be Your Man
    24. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
    25. Something
    26. A Day in the Life
    27. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    28. Band on the Run
    29. Back in the U.S.S.R.
    30. Let It Be
    31. Live and Let Die
    32. Hey Jude
    33. Yesterday
    34. I Saw Her Standing There
    35. Mull of Kintyre (With Pipe and Drum Band)
    36. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
    37. Helter Skelter
    38. Golden Slumbers
    39. Carry That Weight
    40. The End

theMess, Hep Alien, Benno123 and 4 others like this.
  24. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

It was 2 hours and 40 minutes for a while in 2016 when it seemed he was slowing down - and in my opinion going through the motions - but since then he started adding songs again.

With the inclusion of ‘Mull Of Kintyre’, his Australian tour has been actually 2 hours and 50-55 minutes on average. For example, Brisbane last Saturday was spot-on for the typical Queensland curfew. 7:33pm McCartney appeared on stage, 10:30pm sharp the confetti got unleashed. Perth and the second Sydney shows had someone up on stage, and those were 2 hours and 59 minutes.

So eh, we might wanna round off this leg of a tour to truly 3 hours for once :p.

25. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

I have the impresion that you are talking about another kind of plants...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.