Paul McCartney's "One On One" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 5th-beatle, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Thanks, honestly a boot never crossed my mind. Being Japan I know sometimes they get special releases and just thought maybe that was one. Thanks for sharing!

2. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

No problem, definitely bootleg. They somehow have been able to tap into the mixing board or monitors and hi jacks the signal

Thought I had remembered to get the photo itself in the post but failed numerous times so posted the link instead...sorry

Benno123 likes this.
  3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

It was expensive, but a nice memento of the 2 shows

theMess and Benno123 like this.
  4. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

100% agree with this statement. As I've been going through my own videos from the tour one thing that's really stood out for me is how much thought goes into every aspect of the show, including the overall structure and sub-sets. It's like a bunch of diverse mini-concerts in one, with something for everyone, and there is a logical flow that keeps people engaged: the Hofner/jacket set, which is a bit like the Beatles' entire sets with ~20 minutes in which most people are still adjusting to "OMG, he's right there!" and getting their photos in; the rock set, which really is a bit like a sample of a jam band setup while the band is still at full strength, but without 20-minute rambles that would turn some people off; the piano set; the "unplugged" set; the solo set (and break for the band); the "new" stuff (and break for some fans); the "storytellers" set; the bigger production & singalong numbers as you near the end and might otherwise start getting bored. So well done.

As for LMRI and IGAF specifically, I seem to go into shows thinking "Eh, I can take or leave it" about them because they've been around for a while, but each time they draw me back in. This last run especially I felt like the jams were really epic with tremendous energy. My videos have wound up being a record of where my attention was at during the shows, and it seems like sometimes I didn't think to take a lot of the main songs for those two (which I regret now!), but I got the jams just about every time because in the moment I was enjoying them so much. Paul seems to have a great time during them too, which I think is a big reason they stay in. I'm still rocking out at home and looking forward to more cracks at them in person!

5. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Not funny Arnold. I’m happy this guy is still here and I’m glad I got to see him many times. It’s nice to see one guy who didn’t mind being a Beatle.

vitorbastos123, ajsmith and Hep Alien like this.
  6. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

They are! But I personally think that early bit it's the only "miss" during the whole set. Since last year - he had this before, but never as perfectly crafted, imho - he opens with 3 absolutely major Beatles songs ('A Hard Day's Night', 'All My Loving', 'Can't Buy Me Love', wow!) and 2 big Wings hits ('Jet'/'Junior's Farm'/'Letting Go', 2 out of 3)... aaaand then 'Let Me Roll It' and 'I've Got A Feeling' appear. The latter is even the first moment I see people - weak bladder? - walking up and down, during the seated gigs of course. Not very memorable. And done soooooo often in 2004-2013, absolutely pointless to drag it out again in favour of material he didn't do as often, not even counting never played before material.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Just to clarify, my comment wasn’t really about the song itself, which was a great track on Let it Be. I just meant that songs like “I’ve Got a Feeling”, “Maybe I’m Amazed” and “Helter Skelter” should be retired because his voice can no longer handle them. I was at his most recent show in Auckland, and those songs in particular were brutal.

8. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

Ah I was stoked to hear those songs in Auckland!

As far as future tours go, I thought one of the most amusing moments of the entire show was his closing "See you next time!" - given his age and the last tour to NZ being 25 years previously.

theMess, foxylady and coffeetime like this.
  9. FernandaDireit

FernandaDireit Forum Resident

I saw his concert last october for the first time, it was amazing! Almost 3 hours of show. You can see he just loves what he does.

10. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I have had so many wonderful memories at the 16 Paul shows I have been to, but one that stands out (besides getting engaged in 2005) was the second night in Cleveland in 2016 before he did “Maybe I’m Amazed.” He mentioned that in the video we would see “in this next song” features a baby girl who happens to be in the audience tonight. He then said, “This one is for your mum” and started that familiar piano intro, the place went nuts. My favorite performance is from the 2002 tour cd, and while Paul cannot sing like he did 16 years ago I believe that he keeps playing it because he loves the song and it is his tribute/dedication to the love of his life. Besides, it’s his song and of he wants to keep playing it he can!!

11. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Now I know Paul doesn't seem like the type of person who likes to retire but performing when he's 179 years old just seems excessive. ;)

theMess, Zeki, Rfreeman and 1 other person like this.
  12. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

This may not be the right spot but this is just a fantastic version. He may not be the 28 year old singing it anymore but it just adds to the charm.

theMess, Zeki, streetlegal and 4 others like this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yeah, I can understand that. And, I think Paul understands that audiences love those hard driving numbers as well, and so he’ll probably keep playing them. And I do think it’s quite effective incorporating Abe to double the lead vocals on the tough passages.

Besides, at this point, it’s probably too late to begin worrying about preserving the vocal cords. He’s still an effective performer. In fact, on the quiet emotional numbers, the unsteady vocals add a touch of poignancy - reflecting the inevitability of aging. If it makes old fans happy I suppose that’s all that really matters. 25 years is indeed a long time tonwait to see someone - I guess that’s the price you pay for living in paradise.

Benno123 likes this.
  14. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Yawn he is Elvis on steroids

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I’m not a “hater” by any means. But, I was at that Budokan show and the sound on that video has been fiddled with. I mean, he sounded very good at the shows in Tokyo (with Tokyo Dome 3 being the best I’ve heard him in years), but he didn’t sound that good.

The reason I’m sure it’s been edited - I remember he messed up the lyrics on the first verse. Maybe I’m wrong, but, let’s say I’m 99% sure.

Benno123 and mrjinks like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I wish Paul many more years of healthy touring too. May he always be fit enough to keep playing concerts.

17. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Man, I hate see this guy get old. I wish this guy could have stayed in his 30’s forever. He’s so great. God bless him.

theMess, Hep Alien, Bullis and 2 others like this.
  18. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

That is pretty great. Thanks!

theMess and Benno123 like this.
  19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Considering the struggles he has had with this song the last 5 years or so, this is the absolute best vocal performance of it one could ask for these days. If it has been fiddled with, I'd wager the fiddling is minimal and is done when the video goes to the wide shot. The closer shots all seem to be in sync.

theMess, Hep Alien, Benno123 and 2 others like this.
  20. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I saw some shows during the 02 tour, the performance in Oklahoma City was among the best shows I've seen (going back to '76.) He was in top form at that show.

theMess, JDeanB and Benno123 like this.
  21. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Yes, I agree! And while the set list was more “greatest hits” than others that is completely fine by me. For the first Paul shows I would see it was perfect ... even the opening circus stuff with the guitar chord and the Hofner appearing on the screen, and then there he is!!!! I still get goosebumps remembering that moment!

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Maybe it’s minimal. I only know for certain that they fixed the opening lines. At the actual show, he switched the first two lines of the song. But overall, I would say his voice was in great shape at the Tokyo shows. One reason might have been that it was an isolated four-show mini-tour. The final show in Tokyo was amazing (the third of three at the Dome) - with strong vocals throughout.

theMess and RayS like this.
  23. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I’m glad Paul hasn’t followed the lead of some of his lip syncing peers.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:confused: What 60s/70s rockers lip-synch?

25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I’ve heard talk that Roger Waters does. Haven’t seen any definitive proof re: him or others, tho...

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.